Old September 11th 06, 10:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default oyster journey history no more

A perennial topic here it seems.

I have a registered oyster card with PAYG credit on it, but I don't use
auto top up, because I am a long way from any fixed validators. For the
same reason I have never bought PAYG online. Oystercard.com tells me
that people like me don't get access to our journey history online [1].

But in the past, before the special people started to be able to get
their journey history online, there was a feature on oystercard.com
whereby anyone with a registered card, however they added credit to it,
could be *emailed* a PDF of their recent journey history. I have such a
PDF to prove this...

Does this facility still exist, or have they actually removed
functionality in the name of progress?

Yes I know I can still get a journey history from a tube station. If I
was near a tube station, I would use auto top up!

[1]
http://transportforlondon.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/transportforlondon.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2567

--
Larry Lard

The address is real, but unread - please reply to the group

Old September 12th 06, 09:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I have a registered oyster card with PAYG credit on it, but I don't use
auto top up, because I am a long way from any fixed validators.

Presumably the problem you have is receiving the initial auto top-up
instruction? For the benefit of the less well informed about Oyster, it
might be good to remind readers that the main perceived stopper with auto
top-up these days is getting that initial instruction on the card which
requires a planned journey to fixed validators (tubes, DLR, tram stops) as
after that you can auto top-up on buses. However it is now possible to
purchase an Oystercard online with auto top-up already enabled. So it isn't
quite the stopper it was. It just requires getting another Oyster card, and
if you don't want two using up the credit on the old one and getting the
deposit refunded.

same reason I have never bought PAYG online. Oystercard.com tells me that
people like me don't get access to our journey history online [1].

But in the past, before the special people started to be able to get their
journey history online,

From what I can make out:

'people like me' = not customers of Oyster Online
'special people' = customers of Oyster Online

I wouldn't actually have a huge issue with that in principle (but see
below). What I do certainly do have issue with is some of the other answers
in Oyster Help which are worded in such a way that they would allow you to
infer that having an Oyster Online account suffices without the need to
purchase anything from them.

there was a feature on
oystercard.com whereby anyone with a registered card, however they added
credit to it, could be *emailed* a PDF of their recent journey history. I
have such a PDF to prove this...

Does this facility still exist, or have they actually removed
functionality in the name of progress?

If it does then I can't find it either and I agree it seems wrong to remove
functionality in this way.

I should imagine that Oyster Online probably operates as a separate entity
(and I know it is actually Keith Prowse that run it) and if that was made
clear then I wouldn't have a great issue with treating their paying
customers differently to those who haven't bought anything from them yet.
However by the way Oyster Online is branded and marketed and blended into
the TfL site it is natural to infer that it is TfL's 'Oyster central' as it
were and it rather seems this is not the case at all.

G.

Old September 12th 06, 01:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 23:23:34 +0100, Larry Lard
But in the past, before the special people started to be able to get
their journey history online, there was a feature on oystercard.com
whereby anyone with a registered card, however they added credit to it,
could be *emailed* a PDF of their recent journey history. I have such a
PDF to prove this...

You lucky lucky lucky person! I never managed this - by phone or by
email/web-sent message. Up to recently I had to count to 8 (journeys)
and queue up for a printout.

Yes I know I can still get a journey history from a tube station. If I
was near a tube station, I would use auto top up!

Trust me, getting a printout from a tube station is often no picnic.
Opening hours are reduced and queues can be too long. Certain staff
look with incredulity at the audacity of someone requesting a short or
long use printout.

Anyway, as Graham said, get the initial top-up done - crawl on all
fours to a designated tube station, touch in, loiter 15 mins, touch
out. After that, auto topup will work on buses.

--
Old anti-spam address cmylod at despammed dot com appears broke
So back to cmylod at bigfoot dot com