Old December 20th 06, 04:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Taxi`s

Cheers

I didn`t mean this weekend, just a weekend in general.

i would be staying at the metropole as it happens so you reckon i`ll have a
good chance at that time in the morning?

--
"From what I understand 00`s have a short life expectancy"
"Mike Hughes" wrote in message
In message , News_Demon
writes

Dear All.

Does anyone know the aprox cost of a Black cab from Edgware Road/Praed
Street to Colindale?

Depends exactly where you are going in Colindale. It would be somewhere
about £35 plus the £4 Christmas day charge.

Also I would need to catch it about 5.30am on a Sunday or Monday morning.
Any chance of finding one at this time?

There is a very good chance of getting a taxi off the street, particularly
if you try the rank at the Metropole Hotel on the corner of Edgeware and
Praed St

Cheers

--
Mike Hughes
at home in Tarring, West Sussex, England

Old December 20th 06, 05:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . com,
Mizter T writes
Mike Hughes wrote:

In message , News_Demon
writes

Dear All.

Does anyone know the aprox cost of a Black cab from Edgware Road/Praed
Street to Colindale?

Depends exactly where you are going in Colindale. It would be somewhere
about £35 plus the £4 Christmas day charge.

Also I would need to catch it about 5.30am on a Sunday or Monday morning.
Any chance of finding one at this time?

There is a very good chance of getting a taxi off the street,
particularly if you try the rank at the Metropole Hotel on the corner of
Edgeware and Praed St

Even early on Christmas Day morning?

Yes

I worked last year. I was surprised at how many taxis and also how many
customers there were around. Remember that there are a lot of taxi
drivers in London who are not Christian.

Old December 20th 06, 05:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , News_Demon
writes
Cheers

I didn`t mean this weekend, just a weekend in general.

i would be staying at the metropole as it happens so you reckon i`ll have a
good chance at that time in the morning?

A very good chance if it's a normal weekend. That junction is where you
will get quite a few taxis 'cruising' with their lights on.

Old December 20th 06, 05:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , martyn dawe
writes
In message . com, Earl
Purple writes

News_Demon (removespam) wrote:
Dear All.

Does anyone know the aprox cost of a Black cab from Edgware Road/Praed
Street to Colindale?

Also I would need to catch it about 5.30am on a Sunday or Monday morning.
Any chance of finding one at this time?

This Monday morning or an ordinary one?

btw the N16 bus may be running still at that time (not on Christmas but
on an ordinary morning).

Www.traintaxi.co.uk

Routes you to a premium rate number which may not provide and actual
taxi (may be private hire company)

Old December 20th 06, 05:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mike Hughes typed

In message , martyn dawe
writes
In message . com, Earl
Purple writes

News_Demon (removespam) wrote:
Dear All.

Does anyone know the aprox cost of a Black cab from Edgware Road/Praed
Street to Colindale?

Also I would need to catch it about 5.30am on a Sunday or Monday
morning.
Any chance of finding one at this time?

This Monday morning or an ordinary one?

btw the N16 bus may be running still at that time (not on Christmas but
on an ordinary morning).

Www.traintaxi.co.uk

Routes you to a premium rate number which may not provide and actual
taxi (may be private hire company)

Does it?

I had a look at firms in Chesterfield, as I'm going there in a few
weeks' time. All numbers listed were simple geographical (01246*)
numbers.

It seems that some cab firms give out premium numbers, which is hardly
the fault of traintaxi.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old December 22nd 06, 05:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mike Hughes wrote:

In message . com,
Mizter T writes
Mike Hughes wrote:

There is a very good chance of getting a taxi off the street,
particularly if you try the rank at the Metropole Hotel on the corner of
Edgeware and Praed St

Even early on Christmas Day morning?

Yes

I worked last year. I was surprised at how many taxis and also how many
customers there were around. Remember that there are a lot of taxi
drivers in London who are not Christian.

Thanks for the reply, that's interesting that there's so many taxis and
so many prospective passengers around at that time.

Of course I'd presume that London taxi drivers would represent all the
different communities in London and would thus represent all faiths,
but I must admit my (possibly quite erroneous) assumption is that many
are ethnically British white men, and thus would wish to celebrate
Christmas with their families (though of course these days I would
presume many either wouldn't regard themselves as Christians or
wouldn't be Christians, but like the majority of people nonetheless
they'd mark Christmas).

Old December 23rd 06, 07:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . com,
Mizter T writes
Mike Hughes wrote:

In message . com,
Mizter T writes
Mike Hughes wrote:

There is a very good chance of getting a taxi off the street,
particularly if you try the rank at the Metropole Hotel on the corner of
Edgeware and Praed St

Even early on Christmas Day morning?

Yes

I worked last year. I was surprised at how many taxis and also how many
customers there were around. Remember that there are a lot of taxi
drivers in London who are not Christian.

Thanks for the reply, that's interesting that there's so many taxis and
so many prospective passengers around at that time.

Of course I'd presume that London taxi drivers would represent all the
different communities in London and would thus represent all faiths,
but I must admit my (possibly quite erroneous) assumption is that many
are ethnically British white men,

Until fairly recently that was the case. There are now more people from
all backgrounds joining the trade, but as it takes on average 3 years do
the 'knowledge' to get a licence many people from 'ethnic' backgrounds
have taken the easier option of working outside the law or at best
working in the Private Hire (minicab) trade.

and thus would wish to celebrate
Christmas with their families (though of course these days I would
presume many either wouldn't regard themselves as Christians or
wouldn't be Christians, but like the majority of people nonetheless
they'd mark Christmas).

There has been (still is) a large number of Jewish people in the trade
(family immigrants prior to WW2) that is gradually changing

Old December 27th 06, 09:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:

Thanks for the reply, that's interesting that there's so many taxis and
so many prospective passengers around at that time.

The fact that the roads are fairly empty plus higher fares is an
incentive to work, even if only for a few hours.

Of course I'd presume that London taxi drivers would represent all the
different communities in London and would thus represent all faiths,
but I must admit my (possibly quite erroneous) assumption is that many
are ethnically British white men, and thus would wish to celebrate
Christmas with their families (though of course these days I would
presume many either wouldn't regard themselves as Christians or
wouldn't be Christians, but like the majority of people nonetheless
they'd mark Christmas).

But for taxi drivers there is really no such thing as "regular working
hours" or "public holidays" because every day is a day that they may
choose to work or not work. Of course there are probably busier times
and less busy times. An experienced taxi driver is likely to know where
to go to get trade and what the best times are to work. It's not just a
matter of knowing the routes.

Taxi complaint - how do I make one? David FitzGerald London Transport 34 September 15th 04 06:50 AM
Taxi complaint - how do I make one? [email protected] London Transport 0 September 11th 04 04:45 PM
Qualifications necessary to become a station rank taxi driver Oleg Kirov London Transport 4 July 7th 04 01:58 AM
Taxi "stops" Gooner London Transport 3 December 22nd 03 06:53 PM
Harrow: unusual taxi, the LU-owned market and the dead gasworks branch John Rowland London Transport 0 September 23rd 03 10:51 PM