Old January 7th 07, 07:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Parking near the M3 to get the tube

Hi,

A friend is coming into London via the M3 and wants to park on the
outskirts and get the tube in. It would be on a Tuesday afternoon.

Any recommendations on where he should aim for?

Thanks,
--
Flash Wilson Bristow - Web Design & Mastery - 07939 579090
Work: www.wdam.co.uk Personal: www.gorge.org

Old January 7th 07, 08:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
T P T P is offline

Hi,

We usually use Richmond Stn. Has parking (safe) nearby on A316.

Terry

Hello Flash,

Old January 8th 07, 09:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 7 Jan 2007 22:31 +0000 (GMT Standard Time), Paul Cummins
wrote:
A friend is coming into London via the M3 and wants to park on the
outskirts and get the tube in. It would be on a Tuesday afternoon.

If he's on the M3 corridor, he's better off coming in by train from
Southampton/Winchester/Basingstoke/Farnborough - cheaper parking too.

He's in the middle of Somerset, and giving a lift to the person who
would normally run him to the station, I suspect. I think he's
already considered and discounted train, although he'd use it if
he was on his own for this journey.

Old January 8th 07, 01:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kev Kev is offline

wrote:
A friend is coming into London via the M3 and wants to park on the
outskirts and get the tube in. It would be on a Tuesday afternoon.

If he's on the M3 corridor, he's better off coming in by train from
Southampton/Winchester/Basingstoke/Farnborough - cheaper parking too.

He's in the middle of Somerset, and giving a lift to the person who
would normally run him to the station, I suspect. I think he's
already considered and discounted train, although he'd use it if
he was on his own for this journey.

--
Flash Wilson Bristow - Web Design & Mastery - 07939 579090
Work: www.wdam.co.uk Personal: www.gorge.org

I used to work with somebody who drove from the Bagshot area and parked
near Morden station.

Kevin

Old January 8th 07, 02:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Kev wrote:
Flash Wilson Bristow wrote:

I used to work with somebody who drove from the Bagshot area and parked
near Morden station.

Kevin

Fairly insane thing to do imho. I grew up in Morden and visit family
there. Morden is now the Controlled Parking Zone from hell. Bagshot is
useless for London trains I agree but Richmond or even Worplesdon,
Guildford or Woking are nearer than Morden and quicker overall to Waterloo..

mysteryflyer
Old January 8th 07, 02:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
A friend is coming into London via the M3 and wants to park on the
outskirts and get the tube in. It would be on a Tuesday afternoon.

If he's on the M3 corridor, he's better off coming in by train from
Southampton/Winchester/Basingstoke/Farnborough - cheaper parking too.

He's in the middle of Somerset, and giving a lift to the person who
would normally run him to the station, I suspect. I think he's
already considered and discounted train, although he'd use it if
he was on his own for this journey.

--
Flash Wilson Bristow - Web Design & Mastery - 07939 579090
Work: www.wdam.co.uk Personal: www.gorge.org

I used to work with somebody who drove from the Bagshot area and parked
near Morden station.

Kevin

The M3 ends in Sunbury. Quite a way from any tube station.
However, SWTrains links are good.
Sunbury station is just by the M3 junction but trains are less frequent
and take longer.
Feltham Station has fast trains into London Waterloo. Take about 35
minutes.

Go a little further and the M3 merges turns into the A316.
Whitton, Twickenham and Richmond stations are nearby and will get you
into Waterloo.
Richmond will also plug you into the tube network. But it's faster to
get SWT into Central London.

You how long you are staying and at what times od day and day. But
parking will be quite expensive in Richmond or Twickenham for long
durations.

Old January 8th 07, 05:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . com,
Londoncityslicker writes

You how long you are staying and at what times od day and day. But
parking will be quite expensive in Richmond or Twickenham for long
durations.

Parking in Richmond's Old Deer Park car park (adjacent to the A316,
which is the continuation of the M3) is currently £5 for up to six hours
or £7 for up to 24 hours (£6 and £8 respectively from 5th February): its
free after 6.30pm. Its only a short walk to Richmond station, from where
a fast train will get to Waterloo in 10 minutes.
--
Paul Terry
Old January 8th 07, 08:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Terry wrote:
In message . com,
Londoncityslicker writes

You how long you are staying and at what times od day and day. But
parking will be quite expensive in Richmond or Twickenham for long
durations.

Parking in Richmond's Old Deer Park car park (adjacent to the A316,
which is the continuation of the M3) is currently £5 for up to six
hours or £7 for up to 24 hours (£6 and £8 respectively from 5th
February): its free after 6.30pm. Its only a short walk to Richmond
station, from where a fast train will get to Waterloo in 10 minutes.

Not that fast, in the afternoon anyway; 19 minutes is the fastest. On a
Tuesday afternoon (when the OP is travelling), the time to get to
Waterloo from arrival at Richmond station (including waiting for the
train) would be between 19 and 33 minutes, average 26 minutes.
Curiously, despite having 4 tracks from Barnes onwards, none of the
all-stations stopping trains are overtaken by the fasts.
--
Richard J.