Old January 10th 07, 07:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default So much for the Oyster Revolution in London

Not every Londoner as a underground near them so they use a Overground
which don't take Oyster card pay as you go so we don't save on the cost
of one-day travel with a Oyster card pay as you go,we have to use Cash
fares.
So much for the Oyster Revolution in London

Old January 10th 07, 09:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . com,
" writes
Not every Londoner as a underground near them so they use a Overground
which don't take Oyster card pay as you go so we don't save on the cost
of one-day travel with a Oyster card pay as you go,we have to use Cash
fares.
So much for the Oyster Revolution in London

You can get Oystercards at newsagents, so if the Overground used them it
would not be a problem.
--
martyn dawe
Old January 10th 07, 10:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Not every Londoner as a underground near them so they use a Overground
which don't take Oyster card pay as you go so we don't save on the cost
of one-day travel with a Oyster card pay as you go,we have to use Cash
fares.
So much for the Oyster Revolution in London

The Mayor currently has no powers to compel the National Rail train
companies - i.e. the companies that operate overground trains - to
accept Oyster Pay-as-you-go (PAYG) on their services. He is trying to
cagoule them into accepting Oyster PAYG but he can't force them to.

However when each train company's franchise (i.e. contract) finishes,
there will then be a new franchise - and as part of this new franchise
between the train company and central government (the Department for
Transport), the train company will be compelled to accept Oyster PAYG.
Indeed South West Trains has just been awarded a new franchise, and
this compels them to offer Oyster PAYG on their routes, though
unfortunately not until 2009. I think it's quite possible that they'll
offer it earlier.

In other words, in time all train companies will have to accept Oyster
PAYG. It is indeed most annoying that they don't yet do so, but to be
fair to the Mayor and TfL it is not for want of them trying - blame the
train companies, and blame the Department for Transport.

People who don't live near Underground stations can nonetheless take
part in the "Oyster Revolution" by using Oyster PAYG to pay for their
bus fares - the saving is considerable, as on Oyster bus fares are only
£1 - half the cash fare of £2 - and if you make several journeys on
buses during the day the daily price capping system means you'll pay a
maximum of £3, which is cheaper than the £3.50 cost of a paper
one-day bus pass.

Of course if you are going to be using National Rail (the overground)
during your days travelling then it will probably work out cheaper for
you to buy a Day Travelcard. That's just how it is at the moment.

If you wish to complain about it, the best people to write to would be
your local MP (if you live in London), to the Department for Transport
and to your local train company.

Like any revolution, the Oyster Revolution has encountered some
opposition from those wedded to the old ways - in this case the train
companies - but it seems that eventually they'll be won over too.

Old January 13th 07, 12:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:

People who don't live near Underground stations can nonetheless take
part in the "Oyster Revolution" by using Oyster PAYG to pay for their
bus fares - the saving is considerable, as on Oyster bus fares are only
£1 - half the cash fare of £2 - and if you make several journeys on
buses during the day the daily price capping system means you'll pay a
maximum of £3, which is cheaper than the £3.50 cost of a paper
one-day bus pass.

But you'll probably lose more than that as your faulty Oystercard
breaks down taking your money with it!

Old January 13th 07, 01:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"solar penguin" typed

Let's hope so. With a bit of luck we can can stop this stupid scheme
to con us into paying for faulty, unreliable cards that just swallow
your money and then break down!

I can't say I've had any trouble getting money/credit refunded when my
registered Oysters have failed.

The _real_ revolution will come when we rise up against those TfL
tyrants trying to force Oyster on us, and get rid of them once and for
all!

I accept that there are Big Brother aspects to Oyster I sometimes dislike.

I am just in the process of persuading my elderly parents (who have had
Freedom Passes for 10 years) that they should have Oyster cards for
early morning travel, guests and mislaid Freedom Passes. They will have
to familiarise themselves with the system. It seems entirely wrong that
they should pay TfL's punitive cash fares.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old January 13th 07, 09:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

"solar penguin" typed

Let's hope so. With a bit of luck we can can stop this stupid scheme
to con us into paying for faulty, unreliable cards that just swallow
your money and then break down!

I can't say I've had any trouble getting money/credit refunded when my
registered Oysters have failed.

You must have some really good local newsagents. Neither of the ones
near me could do anything to help when my card broke down!

It seems entirely wrong that
they should pay TfL's punitive cash fares.

If TfL just reduced the cash fares to a reasonable level, no-one would
need to bother with this stupid Oyster business in the first place!

Old January 13th 07, 09:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

solar penguin wrote:

If TfL just reduced the cash fares to a reasonable level, no-one would
need to bother with this stupid Oyster business in the first place!

Er... yes. That's the point, isn't it? Boarding times will be quicker
if tickets are mostly Oyster.

Jonn

Old January 13th 07, 10:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 13 Jan 2007 02:58:47 -0800,
wrote:

solar penguin wrote:

If TfL just reduced the cash fares to a reasonable level, no-one would
need to bother with this stupid Oyster business in the first place!

Er... yes. That's the point, isn't it? Boarding times will be quicker
if tickets are mostly Oyster.

IMO (and I don't use the tube much), the limiting factor is the speed
people can get through the station and the number of people who can
leave a platform for each arrival of a train.

Euston has obviously been set up to reduce the flow through the input
gates at peak times. Even the trivial change of making the output gates
input gates and the input gates output gates would probably allow 2x as
many people into the station per unit time but I don't think they could
then physically get down the escalators as fast as they were arriving
at the top.

Victoria (can't remember if it was a Saturday or Sunday evening when I
was there last) had someone "locking" and "unlocking" the input gates
and then only letting a few people in at a time because the flow through
the gates was faster than down the escalator. (and there were crowds
building up on the platform because people were arriving at the platform
faster than the trains could take them away)

Tim.

and there was light.

Old January 13th 07, 11:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

There is also the issue of physical cash - going cashless removes
considerable security risks for staff handling coins/notes.

Nicks