Old February 25th 07, 02:50 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

Default Secret Tube Trains under London?

In message , at 15:00:28 on Sun,
25 Feb 2007, Clive Coleman. remarked:
In message , Roland Perry
writes
And these keys are different for each train? Maybe so, but I'd always
thought they were one key that fitted all of them. Isn't it a bit
inconvenient to have a different key for each train if you are
reversing tube trains using the "stepping back" principle (that's
where one driver gets in the far cab and drives the train straight
off, while the original driver walks down the platform to be ready for
the next one).

If I were you I'd give up whilst loosing, otherwise you'll fall. You're
just proving your ignorance to everyone else on here.

I'm willing to learn. Tell me how they manage stepping back if each
trains has a different key.

Old February 25th 07, 04:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In article ,
Clive Coleman. wrote:
In message , Roland Perry
writes
Trains have keys? Where do they fit - in the side of the steering
column?

Yes trains at least did have keys and I would expect still do. I have
a set of keys for 38/62 stock, for the old 800s and 63xxs and also a key
for unlocking the desk on Brush, EE, and Crompton locomotives. I don't
know but I have no reason to suspect the use of keys to have changed.

Many years ago, a friend from BBC TV OBs went on holiday to Egypt. He saw
an OB van from Egyptian TV which looked remarkably like the ones he worked
in. He tried the door key (still on his key ring) and found that the "Unit
to BBC spec" even included the locks!

--
From KT24 - in "Leafy Surrey"

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11

Old February 25th 07, 04:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message
charles wrote:

In article ,
Clive Coleman. wrote:
In message , Roland Perry
writes
Trains have keys? Where do they fit - in the side of the steering
column?

Yes trains at least did have keys and I would expect still do. I have
a set of keys for 38/62 stock, for the old 800s and 63xxs and also a key
for unlocking the desk on Brush, EE, and Crompton locomotives. I don't
know but I have no reason to suspect the use of keys to have changed.

Many years ago, a friend from BBC TV OBs went on holiday to Egypt. He saw
an OB van from Egyptian TV which looked remarkably like the ones he worked
in. He tried the door key (still on his key ring) and found that the "Unit
to BBC spec" even included the locks!

Possibly an ex BBC Unit. His key would also have fitted ITV OB units.

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.
Old February 25th 07, 04:48 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:32:02 on Sun, 25
Feb 2007, Steve Fitzgerald ] remarked:
LUL trains have a key to open up the controller or reverser. Known as
an RKL220 key as that's the number on the key. It's also part of the
safety procedures as you shut down your train and hand over your RKL220
key to provide protection to staff on the track.

73 stock (at least) also have a Control Key (which looks something like
a spanner) to open up the cab.

Sounds plausible, and perhaps this one key works all the trains? Now,
the topic that got us started here was the possibility of having to move
a train that was blocking the line, and that this would be impossible
without the right key [1]. It seems fairly obvious that the crew
piloting the escape train would have been given a set of keys for just
this eventuality.

[1] I have always said that such trains were unlikely to be found, but
someone else started this particular rathole.
Old February 25th 07, 05:09 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In article ,
Graeme Wall wrote:

Possibly an ex BBC Unit.

No, it was new Pye one.

His key would also have fitted ITV OB units.

--
From KT24 - in "Leafy Surrey"

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11

Old February 25th 07, 05:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message
charles wrote:

In article ,
Graeme Wall wrote:

Possibly an ex BBC Unit.

No, it was new Pye one.

The days when we had a domestic television industry sigh

Old February 25th 07, 05:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In article , charles
writes
In article ,
Clive Coleman. wrote:
In message , Roland Perry
writes
Trains have keys? Where do they fit - in the side of the steering
column?

Yes trains at least did have keys and I would expect still do. I have
a set of keys for 38/62 stock, for the old 800s and 63xxs and also a key
for unlocking the desk on Brush, EE, and Crompton locomotives. I don't
know but I have no reason to suspect the use of keys to have changed.

Many years ago, a friend from BBC TV OBs went on holiday to Egypt. He saw
an OB van from Egyptian TV which looked remarkably like the ones he worked
in. He tried the door key (still on his key ring) and found that the "Unit
to BBC spec" even included the locks!

The key designation was TXxx. I still have one somewhere.

Regards,

Simonm.

--
simonm|at|muircom|dot|demon|.|c|oh|dot|u|kay
SIMON MUIR, BRISTOL UK
Old February 25th 07, 05:51 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 23:46:07 on
Sat, 24 Feb 2007, Bruce Varney remarked:
You close the station gates at street level, then run all the trains to
the depot.

And what would you do if the train operators had abandoned the trains and
taken the keys with them?

Trains have keys? Where do they fit - in the side of the steering column?

They have two, on 73TS one goes in a panel behind the drivers head, the
other in the reverser barrel.
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change from jealous to sad to reply.

Old February 25th 07, 06:08 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

"Steve Dulieu" wrote in message
k...

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 23:46:07 on
Sat, 24 Feb 2007, Bruce Varney remarked:
You close the station gates at street level, then run all the trains to
the depot.

And what would you do if the train operators had abandoned the trains and
taken the keys with them?

Trains have keys? Where do they fit - in the side of the steering column?

They have two, on 73TS one goes in a panel behind the drivers head, the
other in the reverser barrel.
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change from jealous to sad to reply.

Ours use three- a Berne key for accessing some equipment cabinets, another
which allows access to cab doors and equipment cabinets, and a third which
allows the driver to power-up the locomotive. The more 'switched on' have
several of the second and third type, to avoid the risk of locking
themselves out of the loco whilst it's powered up.
Brian

Old February 25th 07, 06:23 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message , Nick Pedley
monorail car with two open-air seats facing each direction of the square
tunnel:
http://www.clouse.org/images/senate01.jpg

As I remember it, it was open the same, but just two seats and operated
between the White House and a station. It was just the one car in a
square section tunnel.
--
Clive.