Old February 28th 07, 11:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster Helpline Cost

On 28 Feb, 11:27, "MIG" wrote:
In my case, given that my card was refused by the reader on a bus (I
travelled anyway) after I had passed the capping limit, I want to find
out if it is safe to put any more credit on the card or whether it
will be gobbled up by a penalty £4 fare due to there having been a
problem (whoever's fault the problem was).

Why not have a look using one of the machines at a Tube station? If
you've got £-4 on the card, it will tell you.

NB you shouldn't have a penalty: if the light doesn't turn green, the
system hasn't touched you in or out and therefore doesn't penalise
you. Sounds more like a faulty reader on the bus...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old February 28th 07, 02:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Terry typed

In message , asdf
writes

When you call an 0845 number, the recipient does receive a portion of
the cost of the call, so I presume the answer is yes.

Its not quite that simple. With an 0845 number the charge to the caller
is fixed, whatever the distance of the call, and the recipient pays or
receives any difference in the actual cost of the call.

But in the case of the Oyster helpline, I would imagine that the
overwhelming majority of calls are local (from the London area) and so I
would expect that they make a profit from using an 0845.

Yebbut aren't the Oyster help people up in Fife or Anstruther or some
other Scottish back of beyondness?

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old February 28th 07, 03:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I've done that, but they may take seven days to reply, and I am not
sure if they can access my specific card details or fix anything.
When they respond I'll see.

They may take seven days to reply but they have been a lot quicker when I've
used them. They are just another arm of the Oyster Helpdesk so they can
access all your details and fix things and process refunds. Quite a few
people have expressed the opinion they are more knowledgeable and efficient
than those manning the phones.

Old March 1st 07, 09:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Helen Deborah
Vecht writes

Yebbut aren't the Oyster help people up in Fife or Anstruther or some
other Scottish back of beyondness?

I don't know, but their geographic number (apparently 020 7227 7886)
looks like 55 Broadway SW1 to me. Of course, it is possible that that
number is re-routed to Scotland.

--
Paul Terry
Old March 1st 07, 01:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Terry typed

In message , Helen Deborah
Vecht writes

Yebbut aren't the Oyster help people up in Fife or Anstruther or some
other Scottish back of beyondness?

I don't know, but their geographic number (apparently 020 7227 7886)
looks like 55 Broadway SW1 to me. Of course, it is possible that that
number is re-routed to Scotland.

Could well be.
The people seem to speak with Scottish accents and the envelopes are
franked 'Anstruther' IIRC if you buy an Oysterr from the online shop.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old March 1st 07, 03:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Helen Deborah
Vecht writes

Paul Terry typed

I don't know, but their geographic number (apparently 020 7227 7886)
looks like 55 Broadway SW1 to me. Of course, it is possible that that
number is re-routed to Scotland.

Could well be.
The people seem to speak with Scottish accents and the envelopes are
franked 'Anstruther' IIRC if you buy an Oysterr from the online shop.

Ah, got it! The Oyster website gives another number for the 24-hour
Oyster helpline: 01561 376 082. That's Aberdeenshire.

A bit more googling finds: http://www.journeycall.com/services41.htm

"[Journeycall's] Travel Advisors currently answer over 3000 live calls a
day, about half of them on behalf of clients. Services include
megabus.com, megatrain.com and TfL's adult Oyster Card".
--
Paul Terry
Old March 1st 07, 03:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 1 Mar, 16:20, Paul Terry wrote:

"[Journeycall's] Travel Advisors currently answer over 3000 live calls a
day, about half of them on behalf of clients.

The other half being their mates...?

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old March 1st 07, 05:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Terry typed

Ah, got it! The Oyster website gives another number for the 24-hour
Oyster helpline: 01561 376 082. That's Aberdeenshire.

A bit more googling finds: http://www.journeycall.com/services41.htm

"[Journeycall's] Travel Advisors currently answer over 3000 live calls a
day, about half of them on behalf of clients. Services include
megabus.com, megatrain.com and TfL's adult Oyster Card".

Interesting, thanks.

Laurencekirk and Brechin are not at the back of Scottish beyondness, are
they? ;-)

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.