Old March 14th 07, 05:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Eurostar

wrote:
Later this year Eurostar is moving from Waterloo to St Panc is there a
new bridge being built across the Thames to accommodate it or is there
some existing line that goes across the river now but is not used.
I only ask because up now I have never seen any services advertised
from Watford and the north direct to stations south of the Thames.

The new line for Eurostar services, known as High Speed 1, comes across Kent
and then over the Thames next to the Queen Elizabeth Bridge at Thurrock,
then running alongside the London, Tilbury and Southend line from Rainham to
Barking, where it enters a tunnel and runs roughly under the North London
line to the King's Cross railway lands, where it emerges to enter St.
Pancras.

There are two other major crossings in London. There is the East London line
tunnel, currently operated by London Underground but which will become part
of the overground network in due course. There is also a railway bridge at
Chelsea Harbour, that carries the West London line from the Willesden area
(with connections from other lines) to the south side of the river, from
where trains can access the Windsor (South West Trains) lines at Clapham
Junction, the Central (Southern) lines at Clapham Junction, the Brixton
lines (Southeastern), plus routes into both Waterloo and Victoria.

There is currently a regular, hourly train service between Watford Junction
and Gatwick Airport using this latter route (sometimes running through to
Brighton). Originally these services used to run to/from Rugby.

Old March 14th 07, 05:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 14 Mar, 18:09, "Jack Taylor" wrote:
[...]

I think you may have forgotten a third major crossing, at Blackfriars!
(I accept that Charing Cross and Cannon Street aren't real crossings
in this context)

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old March 14th 07, 05:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 Jack Taylor wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Where does Thameslink fit into this?

And can you confirm that the Eurostar crosses the Thames by bridge?
Paul Terry suggested a tunnel.
--
Thoss
Old March 14th 07, 05:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Reading all this has been very interesting Jack has I said we never
see any direct services south of the river from up here in Lancashire
hence my mention of Watford and the north .

Found this article on North of London Eurostars:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_Eurostar

Sadly, looks like you will never be able to step on at Crewe and step
off onto the boulevards of Paris.

Actually, thinking about another question which was asked here a couple
of days ago, Euston and St Pancras are a ten-fifteen minute walk apart.
Wonder if there would be any case for a dedicated inter-station shuttle
when the Eurostar comes online?
I guess it would be easier just to take the Circle line.
Old March 14th 07, 06:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
[...]

See my other post - it goes over the Thames at Blackfriars (much of
Blackfriars station is actually on the bridge, and when the Thameslink
Project - new name for Thameslink 2000 - is finished it will have a
South Bank as well as a City exit), then into a tunnel to Farringdon.

And can you confirm that the Eurostar crosses the Thames by bridge?
Paul Terry suggested a tunnel.

Definitely a tunnel. Then it surfaces again, before descending back
into tunnel at Stratford to go (nearly) all the way to St Pancras.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old March 14th 07, 06:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007, John B wrote:

On 14 Mar, 18:29, thoss wrote:

And can you confirm that the Eurostar crosses the Thames by bridge?
Paul Terry suggested a tunnel.

Definitely a tunnel. Then it surfaces again, before descending back into
tunnel at Stratford to go (nearly) all the way to St Pancras.

It does go over the Medway (i think) on a bridge - the longest bridge of
its type in the world, or some such.

Yes, there we go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medway_...nnel_Rail_Link

Longest high-speed rail span in the world. A bit like an Olympic gold for
synchronised swimming, but still, something Kent can be proud of!

tom

--
Axaxaxas Mlo
Old March 14th 07, 09:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John B wrote:

Definitely a tunnel. Then it surfaces again, before descending back
into tunnel at Stratford to go (nearly) all the way to St Pancras.

Absolutely correct, of course. I was thinking of the Thurrock viaduct and
forgetting that it plunges on the opposite side into tunnel!

Old March 14th 07, 11:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In ,
Jack Taylor typed:

The new line for Eurostar services, known as High Speed 1, comes
across Kent and then over the Thames next to the Queen Elizabeth
Bridge at Thurrock, ...

The line runs *under* the Thames in a tunnel.

--
Bob

Old March 15th 07, 12:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Bob Wood wrote:

The line runs *under* the Thames in a tunnel.

As we agreed about five hours ago. ;-)

I think that your ISP must be propagating messages/responses rather slowly
tonight!

New Eurostar line from Waterloo Roger the cabin boy London Transport 24 September 25th 03 10:44 PM
Stratford Eurostar station. Zonky London Transport 53 September 24th 03 09:35 AM
Eurostar Rian van der Borgt London Transport 10 September 1st 03 02:09 PM
Eurostar K London Transport 0 August 28th 03 11:19 AM
eurostar route The Equalizer London Transport 0 August 11th 03 11:21 AM