Old April 16th 07, 08:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Marylebone to Hampstead Heath

I currently go Bakerloo to Baker Street, then Jubilee to West
Hampstead, then NLL to Hampstead Heath.

This isn't great because NNL is only every 15 minutes or so, plus the
two changes.
Is there a better way? Bus?

BTW am I supposed to buy a zones 1-4 travelcard for this one, I
currently only buy a 1/2 but according to Wikipedia HH is in zone
3(eek!)

Old April 16th 07, 09:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16 Apr 2007 13:32:37 -0700, wrote:

I currently go Bakerloo to Baker Street, then Jubilee to West
Hampstead, then NLL to Hampstead Heath.

This isn't great because NNL is only every 15 minutes or so, plus the
two changes.
Is there a better way? Bus?

Bakerloo to Baker St, Jubilee to Swiss Cottage, 268 bus to Rosslyn Hill,
short walk to Hampstead Heath.

18, 27 or 205 bus to Warren St then 24 bus. If you walk as far as
Gloucester Place / Marylebone Road then you can add on the 30 bus as
well to the above list.

27 Bus to Chalk Farm Road (before Morrisons Supermarket) then 24 or 168
bus.

18, 30 and 205 bus to Euston and then 168 bus. The interchange is bit
more involved here as you'll need to walk round into Eversholt St from
the Bus Station at Euston.

Most of the buses are pretty frequent - the 24 is typically every 5 mins
or so for most of the working day.

Timetables for most routes are available via this enthusiast site (TfL
don't do real timetables any more).

http://www.londonbusroutes.net/details.htm and then select the route
number you want. A detailed timetable with journey times should be
available for most routes.

I'd probably opt for the Warren St and route 24 option as this is a high
frequency option. You can try the others as an experiment when you're
perhaps not pushed for time.

I'm sure others will come up with some other ingenious options.

BTW am I supposed to buy a zones 1-4 travelcard for this one, I
currently only buy a 1/2 but according to Wikipedia HH is in zone
3(eek!)

Assuming you are starting at Marylebone and not travelling in from
further out then you do need Z1-3 to be able to use Hampstead Heath NLL.

The options I have suggested will trim you down to a Z12 if using the
tube to Swiss Cottage or else simply a Bus Pass if you do not need the
tube at all. I'd probably stick with the Z12 Travelcard as the tube
network is very handy in those zones and there's only a smallish
difference in price.

HTH
--
Paul C

Old April 18th 07, 11:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Bakerloo to Baker St, Jubilee to Swiss Cottage, 268 bus to Rosslyn Hill,
short walk to Hampstead Heath.

I do this journey quite frequently (from Paddington to Hampstead
Heath).

Best route I found was the one aboe but it is better than implied.
From Swiss Cottage, you can either get the 268 (with the short walk at

the end), but you can also get the 46 or C11 (both of which go to
Hampstead Heath NLL - or pretty near, anyway). Between these 3routes,
you rarely have to wait more than 3 or 4 mins.

The slight snag can be seen in this map:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaro...ttage-2249.pdf

Stop B has buses C11and 268, Stop F has buses 268 and 46. In order to
maximise your chances of getting any of those you have to stand near B
and sprint to F if you see a 46 coming up through the Swiss Cottage
one way system. A lot of people do this, so you won't look odd

Old April 18th 07, 07:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18 Apr 2007 04:40:43 -0700, whos2091
wrote:

Bakerloo to Baker St, Jubilee to Swiss Cottage, 268 bus to Rosslyn Hill,
short walk to Hampstead Heath.

I do this journey quite frequently (from Paddington to Hampstead
Heath).

Best route I found was the one aboe but it is better than implied.
From Swiss Cottage, you can either get the 268 (with the short walk at

the end), but you can also get the 46 or C11 (both of which go to
Hampstead Heath NLL - or pretty near, anyway). Between these 3routes,
you rarely have to wait more than 3 or 4 mins.

The slight snag can be seen in this map:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaro...ttage-2249.pdf

Stop B has buses C11and 268, Stop F has buses 268 and 46. In order to
maximise your chances of getting any of those you have to stand near B
and sprint to F if you see a 46 coming up through the Swiss Cottage
one way system. A lot of people do this, so you won't look odd

It isn't me doing the journey but fair comment in terms of the extra
routes from Swiss Cottage.

One comment for you though - the 46 has recently been extended on from
Warwick Av via Paddington to Lancaster Gate so you actually have a
direct bus from Paddington now. I accept it goes a little bit round the
houses but worth bearing in mind.

--
Paul C