Old November 22nd 07, 08:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default LT lies

was at paddington today waiting for circle line to south ken.
Wimbledon service rolls in and announcer says the next Circle is at
Kings Cross at least ten minutes away.

Get on and at the next stop Bayswater stick my head out. Next circle
line is 1 minute away.

I know that they do not know when the next train is coming because of
the antiquated sinalling system but why do they have to lie. If they
dont know then dont say anything. Grrrrr

Old November 22nd 07, 09:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 22 Nov, 21:45, wrote:
I know that they do not know when the next train is coming because of
the antiquated sinalling system but why do they have to lie. If they
dont know then dont say anything.

The Circle/H&C depot is at Hammersmith, so anti-clockwise Circle Line
trains start service by running to Edgware Road (as H&Cs) and
reversing, which I'd guess is what happened here. So the announcer at
Paddington was right as far as existing trains go, but could have been
told about the new one entering service.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London
Old November 22nd 07, 09:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Nov 22, 10:35 pm, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 13:45:16 -0800 (PST), wrote:
was at paddington today waiting for circle line to south ken.
Wimbledon service rolls in and announcer says the next Circle is at
Kings Cross at least ten minutes away.

Get on and at the next stop Bayswater stick my head out. Next circle
line is 1 minute away.

I know that they do not know when the next train is coming because of
the antiquated sinalling system but why do they have to lie. If they
dont know then dont say anything. Grrrrr

I don't know why you leap to the conclusion that someone lied. I can't
begin to understand why a member of staff making a public announcement
would do that.

The most likely explanation is that a decision was taken to reverse a
train at Edgware Road or one was brought out from the sidings or taken
off the Wimbledon service and made into a Circle Line in order to fill
the gap. As you acknowledge the signalling system is not very
sophisticated in that part of the network. Given Paddington is about 1
minute from Edgware Road it is entirely plausible that a signal had not
been cleared for the "new" Circle Line train and that would not have
triggered the platform display or Trackernet to indicate an imminent
arrival at Paddington.

Is it still the case that the indicators at Paddington don't show any
trains as due till they are already in sight?

I haven't been there for a while.
Old November 22nd 07, 11:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Nov 22, 10:53 pm, MIG wrote:
[...]

That is still the case. The trains appear on the Dot Matrix when the
train is past Praed St junction.

As to Paddington, the Information Booth Assistant will look at
Trackernet (not always very good, but better than what it was) for the
next train, and coupled with any information from the Line Control
Service Operator make the announcements. From past experience the
train most likely came up from Hammersmith to reverse and form an anti-
clockwise Circle. Trains at Edgware Road on the Trackernet do often
vanish so it may have come round the circle, also when the Train
Description is changed this would not appear on Trackernet either, so
they wouldn't know without phoning Edgware Road station, what that
train was doing.

Old November 23rd 07, 04:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Nov 22, 10:35 pm, Paul Corfield wrote:
I don't know why you leap to the conclusion that someone lied. I can't
begin to understand why a member of staff making a public announcement
would do that.

I doubt staff lie deliberately but I've been in a number of situations
where they've given blatantly wrong information. My most recent
experience was a driver who told us the line was suspended and the
train was terminating at its current station. 5 minutes later after no
station announcements the train headed off again with a new driver.
Now either the signalman was full of it that day or the driver just
wanted to knock off early and needed an excuse to give us pax.

B2003

Old November 23rd 07, 06:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Boltar" wrote in message
On Nov 22, 10:35 pm, Paul Corfield wrote:
I don't know why you leap to the conclusion that someone lied. I can't
begin to understand why a member of staff making a public announcement
would do that.

I doubt staff lie deliberately but I've been in a number of situations
where they've given blatantly wrong information. My most recent
experience was a driver who told us the line was suspended and the
train was terminating at its current station. 5 minutes later after no
station announcements the train headed off again with a new driver.
Now either the signalman was full of it that day or the driver just
wanted to knock off early and needed an excuse to give us pax.

Or the line actually was suspended, the driver was due for relief and whilst
the relief was being effected whatever had caused the suspension cleared and
the train therefore continued to it's booked destination. Out of interest
where and on what date did this occur? I'll try to find out what happened
for you.
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change jealous to sad to reply.

Old November 25th 07, 12:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Nov 23, 7:02 pm, "Steve Dulieu"
wrote:
Or the line actually was suspended, the driver was due for relief and whilst
the relief was being effected whatever had caused the suspension cleared and
the train therefore continued to it's booked destination. Out of interest
where and on what date did this occur? I'll try to find out what happened
for you.

Was at arnos grove going north around 4pm. Can't remember the date
offhand, was about a week ago. He actually said it was suspended
because there were men working on the points north of the station.
Well I couldn't see anyone and the next set are north of southgate.
*shrug*

B2003

Old November 25th 07, 01:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
,
Boltar writes

Or the line actually was suspended, the driver was due for relief and whilst
the relief was being effected whatever had caused the suspension cleared and
the train therefore continued to it's booked destination. Out of interest
where and on what date did this occur? I'll try to find out what happened
for you.

Was at arnos grove going north around 4pm. Can't remember the date
offhand, was about a week ago. He actually said it was suspended
because there were men working on the points north of the station.
Well I couldn't see anyone and the next set are north of southgate.
*shrug*

Ah yes, we did have that the other week. There was a point failure with
the new points at the east end of the platform and the controller
suspended the service. 10 minutes later he ran a train through to
Cockfosters - I know that as I drove that first train!

As it happens, the driver you so blithely accuse of wanting to get off
early had just picked up the train fresh from another driver who was
about 50 mins late finishing. He was as surprised as us all when the
signaller took a release (reset the eastbound starting signal to danger
- without warning) and the Line Controller then told him that the
service was suspended and that train was to go back west.

Just goes to show, when you know the full story.
Old November 25th 07, 03:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Nov 25, 1:23 pm, Boltar wrote:
On Nov 23, 7:02 pm, "Steve Dulieu"
wrote:

Or the line actually was suspended, the driver was due for relief and whilst
the relief was being effected whatever had caused the suspension cleared and
the train therefore continued to it's booked destination. Out of interest
where and on what date did this occur? I'll try to find out what happened
for you.

Was at arnos grove going north around 4pm. Can't remember the date
offhand, was about a week ago. He actually said it was suspended
because there were men working on the points north of the station.
Well I couldn't see anyone and the next set are north of southgate.
*shrug*

The people who were meant to be working on the points were being
persecured by MI5.