Old March 18th 08, 11:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London's best lift

I popped into the Hilton Metropole today to use the lav, but was amazed by
the lifts, so I used them. One of them even gives you a view of the London
Eye. I wonder if there is a top ten of great lifts online...

Old March 19th 08, 06:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
John Rowland wrote:

I popped into the Hilton Metropole today to use the lav, but was amazed by
the lifts, so I used them. One of them even gives you a view of the London
Eye. I wonder if there is a top ten of great lifts online...

I'm sure you had a great view whilst you went, but didn't they mind you
peeing in their lifts ?

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 17th February 2008)
Old March 19th 08, 07:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 19, 12:58 am, "John Rowland"
wrote:
I popped into the Hilton Metropole today to use the lav, but was amazed by
the lifts, so I used them. One of them even gives you a view of the London
Eye. I wonder if there is a top ten of great lifts online...

My favourites are in Memorial Hall, Great Queen Street. In one set you
enter in one pair of doors but exit from a pair in an adjacent - not
opposite - wall. It may not sound much but it's unexpected the first
time one sees it.
Old March 19th 08, 08:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Nick Leverton wrote:
In article ,
John Rowland wrote:

I popped into the Hilton Metropole today to use the lav, but was
amazed by the lifts, so I used them. One of them even gives you a
view of the London Eye. I wonder if there is a top ten of great
lifts online...

I'm sure you had a great view whilst you went, but didn't they mind
you peeing in their lifts ?

But it was so much fun, with the view 30 metres down into the crowded
swimming pool.

Old March 19th 08, 11:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 19, 7:58 am, Nick Leverton wrote:
In article ,

John Rowland wrote:

I popped into the Hilton Metropole today to use the lav, but was amazed by
the lifts, so I used them. One of them even gives you a view of the London
Eye. I wonder if there is a top ten of great lifts online...

I'm sure you had a great view whilst you went, but didn't they mind you
peeing in their lifts ?

He didn't say it was a pee...

Old March 20th 08, 09:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
I popped into the Hilton Metropole today to use the lav, but was amazed by
the lifts, so I used them. One of them even gives you a view of the London
Eye. I wonder if there is a top ten of great lifts online...

Give me a paternoster any day.

Are there any left in London?

Colin McKenzie

Old March 21st 08, 08:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Colin McKenzie" wrote in message
John Rowland wrote:
I popped into the Hilton Metropole today to use the lav, but was amazed
by the lifts, so I used them. One of them even gives you a view of the
London Eye. I wonder if there is a top ten of great lifts online...

Give me a paternoster any day.

There's one in the parliament building in Helsinki. Visitors to the
building are barred from using it "because it's dangerous".

tim

Old March 21st 08, 11:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin McKenzie wrote:

Give me a paternoster any day.

Are there any left in London?

AFAIK the one in Northwick Park is still the a sign forbids the public
from using it, but that didn't stop me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paternoster#United_Kingdom says there's also
one in Viscount House, a private BA building at Heathrow.

Old March 21st 08, 11:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008, Colin McKenzie wrote:

John Rowland wrote:

I popped into the Hilton Metropole today to use the lav, but was amazed by
the lifts, so I used them. One of them even gives you a view of the London
Eye. I wonder if there is a top ten of great lifts online...

Give me a paternoster any day.

Yep. Quick, efficient, and absolutely terrifying.

Are there any left in London?

According to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paterno...United_Kingdom

Northwick Park Hospital, Harrow
Viscount House building, Heathrow Airport

But it sounds like neither are open to the public.

tom

--
mimeotraditionalists
Old March 21st 08, 04:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 12:02:52 -0000, "John Rowland"
wrote this gibberish:

Colin McKenzie wrote:

Give me a paternoster any day.

Are there any left in London?

AFAIK the one in Northwick Park is still the a sign forbids the public
from using it, but that didn't stop me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paternoster#United_Kingdom says there's also
one in Viscount House, a private BA building at Heathrow.

what happens if you don't get off at the top (or indeed, bottom)
floor?

--
Mark.
www.MarkVarleyPhoto.co.uk