Old April 1st 06, 11:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Waterloo & City Line Car Lift Operation

Hello

For those unaware this weekend sees the operation to lift out via the access
shaft the Waterloo & City Line 1992 Tube Stock before despatching to
Doncaster for overhaul whilst the line is closed.

Some pictures I took earlier today are now uploaded to he
http://gallery39764.fotopic.net/c909597.html

Waterloo Millenium Gardens provides a brilliant ringside seat and
subject to wind conditions, further cars should emerge from the
depths tomorrow (Sunday).

Its quite a spectacular sight! Notable that the old NSE Class 482
unit numbers are still visible on some car ends and there was a small
Balfour Beatty locomotive of some kind on a flatbed I assume waiting to be
lowered in.

Regards
John M Upton

My Fotopic Collections:
Railpics
http://gallery39764.fotopic.net/

Buspics
http://gallery42239.fotopic.net/

Old April 2nd 06, 01:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I can see the descriptions of what the pictures should be but no pictures.
What do I do to see the pictures?

Lawrie

reenews.net...

Old April 2nd 06, 07:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Was there a lift at one time that enabled W & C stock to reach the main
line?

--
Regards

Vauxhall

Old April 2nd 06, 08:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Vauxhall Victor" wrote in message
Was there a lift at one time that enabled W & C stock to reach the main
line?

Yes, but that disappeared when Waterloo International was built.
--
David Biddulph

Old April 2nd 06, 09:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 00:10:24 +0100, "JMUpton2000" securitynovels @
freeuk.com wrote:

Hello

For those unaware this weekend sees the operation to lift out via the access
shaft the Waterloo & City Line 1992 Tube Stock before despatching to
Doncaster for overhaul whilst the line is closed.

Some pictures I took earlier today are now uploaded to he
http://gallery39764.fotopic.net/c909597.html

Thanks for sharing those - very interesting indeed.
--
Paul C

Old April 2nd 06, 01:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

freeuk.com wrote:

Hello

For those unaware this weekend sees the operation to lift out via
the access shaft the Waterloo & City Line 1992 Tube Stock before
despatching to Doncaster for overhaul whilst the line is closed.

Some pictures I took earlier today are now uploaded to he
http://gallery39764.fotopic.net/c909597.html

[snip]

Great pics, thanks for them. I had hoped to get down there myself
but have been too busy. Any idea if the whole lot is coming out
this weekend or is there going to be more on Monday or next
weekend?

Probably will all be done today. If you go to www.metronetrail.com and
click on Waterloo & City Line in the panel at top centre of the window,
you'll see Metronet's latest update. At present it says that they got
"over half" the fleet out yesterday, and were intending last night to
crane in the four battery locos (named Walter, Lou, Anne, Kitty - a nice
touch!) for use during the project.

I guess there will be a lift-in operation too but it is probably
harder to work out when that is likely to be.

See my comment above re the battery-powered locos. But there is a huge
amount of material to be craned in and out. From the page containing
the latest update, click on "5 Month closure" in the menu items on the
left, then on "Interesting facts". They estimate nearly 14000 crane
lifts during the project (8000 coming out, nearly 6000 going in).
--
Richard J.

Old April 2nd 06, 02:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Interesting though the operation will be for spectators, doesn't it
show just what madness was visited on Waterloo when the old lift was
removed - now it seems for the "temporary" visitation of the Eurostar
terminus, soon to be closed and replaced by a shopping centre?

Baylis Road closed for a whole week-end - and who knows how many more?
The traffic jams for miles in all directions on Saturday afternoon was
horrible. It took me almost half an hour to get from Waterloo Road to
Elephant & Castle - and I didn't even want to get there!

It seems that our political lords and masters care not a jot what
collateral chaos is caused whenever they decide to "upgrade" some other
part of the transport network.

Of all the lines I normally use, the Drain seems the most efficient and
well-run. Just what is being done to it that causes (a) 4 months of
closure and (b) yesterday's (and possibly today's - but I kept well
away from the area) road chaos? Supersonic speed upgrade? Tunnels lined
with gold? Club Class-style bed-installation for Labour party
donors/lenders who work in the City?

Marc.

Old April 2nd 06, 06:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2 Apr 2006 07:32:45 -0700, "
wrote:

Interesting though the operation will be for spectators, doesn't it
show just what madness was visited on Waterloo when the old lift was
removed - now it seems for the "temporary" visitation of the Eurostar
terminus, soon to be closed and replaced by a shopping centre?

I'm not totally sure where the lift connected to, but I gather it was
to the main line and the Bakerloo line, neither of which would be too
accomodating to another lines' trains in this HSE-concious age.
Rolling stock always seems to be transported by road to
Doncaster/Spain these days, it's rarely done by rail, so they would
still have needed to do the transfer to the low loaders somewhere
nearby. I would imagine that a hoist capable of lifting a tube
carriage would be incredibly expensive to maintain today, so given
it's likely use of two days per decade or so, it just isn't worth it.

Baylis Road closed for a whole week-end - and who knows how many more?
The traffic jams for miles in all directions on Saturday afternoon was
horrible. It took me almost half an hour to get from Waterloo Road to
Elephant & Castle - and I didn't even want to get there!

Well presumably that's why they did it on a weekend and not a weekday.
I should imagine that all the other crane lifts of rails and ballast
etc throughout the refurbishment will use a much smaller crane (did
you see the size of the counterweight on this weekend's photos! eek!)
and there will be much much less disruption.
Old April 2nd 06, 09:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

freeuk.com wrote:

Waterloo Millenium Gardens provides a brilliant ringside seat

Absolutely. Makes a pleasant change when a major bit of engineering
work like this takes place in a location with such good public viewing
access.

Thanks for sharing your photos, if anyone craves even more (including
some close-ups of the carriage undersides as they were craned
overhead), I've put the good ones from my collection online as well at
http://tornado.pair.com/drain_cleaning/index.html

Regards
Chris
Old April 2nd 06, 10:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Peter Frimberly" wrote in message
I'm not totally sure where the lift connected to, but I gather it was
to the main line and the Bakerloo line, neither of which would be too
accomodating to another lines' trains in this HSE-concious age.

The access to the lift I believe was off a short spur a short distance into
the running tunnel after Waterloo platform.

Stock was then lifted to the surface alongside Waterloo Main Line station
and then with W&C stock match wagons, loco hauled to either Wimbledon or
Selhurst for overhaul.

No links to the Bakerloo whatsoever though.

One W&C 1940's car did run test trips on its own on the Alton branch once
though!

Regards
John M Upton

My Fotopic Collections:
South Central/Southern, Model Railway & Other Rail Pictures: