Old January 21st 09, 11:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default VCTS (freedom pass)

I've got a VCTS card/pass which seems to work like a freedom pass (but
only within London), when using it the other day I came into Stratford
on the DLR and hence had' touched in anywhere, I then got on an
overground train (forgot to touch on the pad on the platform) and
getting off again it happily opened the exit gate, even though it had
no idea where I'd entered the system.

Does this card just open any gate within it's area at any time?
or is it supposed to monitor my entries and exits like my previous
oyster card?
are my journeys being recorded anywhere?

curiosity and all that...

Mark.
--
Mark Varley
www.MarkVarleyPhoto.co.uk

Old January 21st 09, 12:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21 Jan, 12:47, MarkVarley - MVP
wrote:
I've got a VCTS card/pass which seems to work like a freedom pass (but
only within London), when using it the other day I came into Stratford
on the DLR and hence had' touched in anywhere, I then got on an
overground train (forgot to touch on the pad on the platform) and
getting off again it happily opened the exit gate, even though it had
no idea where I'd entered the system.

Does this card just open any gate within it's area at any time?
or is it supposed to monitor my entries and exits like my previous
oyster card?
are my journeys being recorded anywhere?

curiosity and all that...

Mark.
--
Mark Varleywww.MarkVarleyPhoto.co.ukwww.BeautifulBondag e.netwww.TwistedPhotography.co.uk
London, England.

Basically it works like a season ticket. Provided you are in the
zones covered by the ticket then there is no actual requirement to
touch in or touch out. You only have to do that with prepay. So in
your case you only need to touch in/out to get through barriers.
Old January 21st 09, 03:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

Technically speaking there is a requirement to touch-in and out - just
as technically-speaking such a requirement exists for season
Travelcards and Bus Passes on Oyster and also for Freedom Passes - but
in practice this isn't enforced.

See VCTS - "How to use" info he
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/9942.aspx

Do note however that anonymised and aggregated travel data derived
from the Oyster system is used by TfL when it comes to planning
services, so it's possible to argue that one is shooting oneself in
the foot if one doesn't touch-in and touch-out.

Out of interest Mark - if you were to go to a self-service ticket
machine at a Tube station and touch your VCTS card on the reader, can
you get it to display any of your recent journeys at all?

Also interesting to note that the "[the] VCTS concession will be valid
until 31 May 2012" [1]

this is just after the next Mayoral election. Is there some concious
effort not to bind a potential future Mayor into either providing this
facility, or having to cancel it? Or is it more a case that during a
re-election campaign Boris could use this as a stick to beat a future
opponent whom might oppose renewing the VCTS scheme - but no opponent
worth their salt would possibly be so daft to oppose renewing it
though, which makes me think it might be the former reason.

-----
[1] Under the "Expiry" heading:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/9940.aspx
Old January 21st 09, 04:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

I have no idea, I'll try that next time I'm in a station.

Also interesting to note that the "[the] VCTS concession will be valid
until 31 May 2012" [1]

I noticed that date when I got the card, slightly worrying that it's
not a permanent policy. As time goes by there are more and more people
going to be eligible for one with current military commitments and
this is a nice little thing to have.

Old January 21st 09, 05:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21 Jan, 17:55, MarkVarley - MVP
wrote:
On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 08:12:55 -0800 (PST), Mizter T
wrote this gibberish:

(snip)

Out of interest Mark - if you were to go to a self-service ticket
machine at a Tube station and touch your VCTS card on the reader, can
you get it to display any of your recent journeys at all?

I have no idea, I'll try that next time I'm in a station.

Just my idle curiosity, that's all!

Incidentally, how quickly was your application processed, or were
there any snags?

Also interesting to note that the "[the] VCTS concession will be valid
until 31 May 2012" [1]

I noticed that date when I got the card, slightly worrying that it's
not a permanent policy. As time goes by there are more and more people
going to be eligible for one with current military commitments and
this is a nice little thing to have.

Indeed. I guess the truth is that, unlike the Freedom Pass which
London Borough councils are obliged to provide, the VCTS is something
that's made available as a result of the Mayor's discretion rather
than as the result of any obligation placed on TfL from central
government or legislation or the like. (And before anyone gives Boris
a big pat on the back for this, it was proposed by Ken before the last
election as something he'd introduce if he won and Boris then matched
that commitment - fair play for doing that, but it can hardly be
considered a genuine Bozza initiative.)

As such it's not something that the current Mayor can guarantee will
continue to be offered by future Mayors. At least that's my reading of
things going by the expiry date, which is at the end of the month
after the next Mayoral election in May 2012. That said, I can envisage
the mad rush to process renewals should the re-elected/future Mayor
decide to continue with the scheme.

I think it's all a rather academic argument anyway, as I find it very
hard to believe that any future candidate for Mayor wouldn't commit to
continuing with the scheme. I suppose it is just worth bearing in mind
that it's not totally guaranteed to continue forever.

Incidentally, I'm curious how VCTS acceptance has been arranged with
the TOCs (albeit only after 0930 on weekdays, the same as the Freedom
Pass). Did they agree to allow free travel for ex-service personnel
(perhaps knowing that not to do so would look bad), or is money
changing hands from TfL to the TOCs in order for this scheme to be
realised?

It's also interesting to note that, as the VCTS is open to any
eligible ex-service personnel regardless of where they live, that
there might be many more people buying tickets (either single or
return) from origin stations outside of London to the first stop
within Greater London / the London zones - a kind of reverse situation
from that of people with Travelcards buying extensions from zone
Boundaries to stations outside of London. Of course this can happen
now with people who hold Freedom Passes or in-boundary season
Travelcards (or even Day Travelcards) but these people are rather more
likely to reside within London already (in the case of Freedom Passes
they will by definition, or at least they should) - VCTS card holders
meanwhile might live anywhere.

Old January 21st 09, 06:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 08:12:55 -0800 (PST), Mizter T
wrote this gibberish:

(snip)

Out of interest Mark - if you were to go to a self-service ticket
machine at a Tube station and touch your VCTS card on the reader, can
you get it to display any of your recent journeys at all?

I have no idea, I'll try that next time I'm in a station.

Just my idle curiosity, that's all!

Mine too!

Incidentally, how quickly was your application processed, or were
there any snags?

I didn't have to apply as such, as far as I can gather TFL received a
list from the Veterans Agency of everyone who was eligible and
contacted me (us) directly, all I had to do was sign a form and send
it back with a photo and I had my card in time for the start of the
scheme. a couple of weeks I think.

[...]

TOC = trains? national rail lines are the only 0930 restrictions.

It's also interesting to note that, as the VCTS is open to any
eligible ex-service personnel regardless of where they live, that
there might be many more people buying tickets (either single or
return) from origin stations outside of London to the first stop
within Greater London / the London zones - a kind of reverse situation
from that of people with Travelcards buying extensions from zone
Boundaries to stations outside of London. Of course this can happen
now with people who hold Freedom Passes or in-boundary season
Travelcards (or even Day Travelcards) but these people are rather more
likely to reside within London already (in the case of Freedom Passes
they will by definition, or at least they should) - VCTS card holders
meanwhile might live anywhere.

A small point but it's not, as far as I know, all ex-service
personnel, only those with disabilities.

I didn't know that those outside of London were eligible also, I guess
it makes sense that it would be.

I've not tried using it to buy extension tickets for traveling out of
London, though I probably should, the one time I waved it at a ticket
office I got a blank bemused look. Usually I only travel out of London
for work and I don't use this card for that.
Old January 22nd 09, 07:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Indeed. I guess the truth is that, unlike the Freedom Pass which
London Borough councils are obliged to provide,

No they are not. The Bus part yes but they could pull out of the
train / tube part if they want to. The freedom passes are valid for
two years at a time before you have to renew them.

As such it's not something that the current Mayor can guarantee will
continue to be offered by future Mayors. At least that's my reading of
things going by the expiry date, which is at the end of the month
after the next Mayoral election in May 2012. That said, I can envisage
the mad rush to process renewals should the re-elected/future Mayor
decide to continue with the scheme.

I dont think anyone can give an opened ended permanent commitment.
Yes it will probably continue but there are no guarantees.

Incidentally, I'm curious how VCTS acceptance has been arranged with
the TOCs (albeit only after 0930 on weekdays, the same as the Freedom
Pass). Did they agree to allow free travel for ex-service personnel
(perhaps knowing that not to do so would look bad), or is money
changing hands from TfL to the TOCs in order for this scheme to be
realised?

Private TOC giving something for nothing come on of course money has
changed hands.

VCTS rail tickets MarkVarley - MVP London Transport 3 January 29th 09 04:01 PM
VCTS MarkVarley - MVP London Transport 3 December 11th 08 08:11 PM
FREEDOM PASS barry.irwin1 London Transport 10 February 28th 06 10:13 PM
Freedom Pass and Oyster Pre Pay? Sunil Sood London Transport 11 February 28th 04 02:32 PM
Freedom Pass CharlesPottins London Transport 4 July 20th 03 11:51 AM