Old February 2nd 09, 09:57 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default King's Cross Station

"Jamie Thompson" wrote ...
Bring back the eastern bore, then have the tracks running primarily
diagonally from the mouths to the platforms. Perhaps move some of the
pointwork to the maiden lane opening. I guess if you wanted to be
drastic...you could even contemplate opening up some of the gasworks
tunnels.

When they open the 'new' platform on the taxi road, are they still planning
to call it "Platform Y", or have they come to their senses and agreed to
renumber the existing platforms.

I think there was a fear of confusing the signals folk - apparently they
could re-sign the platforms, but they'd run out of dymolabels to sort out
the signals diagrams ...

.... or something equally stupid, unbelievable and Totally British Rail.
--

Andrew

Old February 2nd 09, 09:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Euston Station

"Roland Perry" wrote in message

They have now got two or three ticket machines near the MML buffers on the
rather empty MML concourse (although a few seats have also appeared).

Have they been clever enough not to mount the seats at an angle on the
sloping bit?

Paul

Old February 2nd 09, 10:11 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 2 Feb, 22:30, Jamie Thompson wrote:
I seem to recall a old map online somewhere showing the KX area with
many more platforms...I'll see if I can find it again.

Ah, here we go:
http://british-railways.org/_wp_gene...cd62e12_0f.jpg

Looks like you're right, I count 17.
Old February 2nd 09, 10:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Adrian" wrote in message
I think it's somehting like "Pur-kip-see".

"Pick-upsy", IIRC

Although I travelled through Poughkeepsie a few years ago the train wasn't
scheduled to stop so there was no announcement.

So my only reference is from the TV series Friends episode "The Girl from
Poughkeepsie" where it's pronounced "Pur-kip-see" as Adrian says

--
David

Old February 2nd 09, 11:09 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Andrew Robert Breen" wrote in message
In article ,
It's probably the best circulating area in any station I've come across,
with the probable exception of Grand Central in Washington. Shame they
both share the problem of dark platform spaces, but that doesn't make
either of the head-houses less magnificent.

Washington (Union?) is pretty impressive, but my favourite station building
in the US is 30th Street in Philly. I've not been there for about 8 years,
but at the time it was a magnificent (if a little run-down) station.

As described previously, the platforms are pretty austere - even less
inviting than B'ham NS but as the platforms are only accessible from the
concourse at the last minute you only spend a few seconds there before
boarding the train.

--
David

Old February 3rd 09, 12:34 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 2 Feb, 14:06, Neil Williams wrote:
Let's make sure we're on the same wavelength here - are we talking about
this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...on_station_con...

Yep. *Spacious, airy, practical and warm. *Everything that a number of
other main termini are not.

I'd rather have an ice cold beauty than a warmed up corpse.
Old February 3rd 09, 04:24 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote in news:gC1qmthjsxhJFAz7
@perry.co.uk:

In message , at 21:49:03 on Sun,
1 Feb 2009, Neil Williams remarked:
[1] It's a pity that M&S Food[2] seem to have an almost-monopoly on
station supermarkets, though. A small Tesco or Sainsbury's would be a
lot more useful

That's unlikely because the M&S Food shops at major stations are
actually a franchise operated by the same people as operate almost all
the other food outlets, and appear to have a monopoly.

Paddington has a Sainsbury's in the Lawn, and it's incredibly useful.
Old February 3rd 09, 06:29 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Feb 3, 1:34*am, lonelytraveller
wrote:
On 2 Feb, 14:06, Neil *Williams wrote:

Let's make sure we're on the same wavelength here - are we talking about
this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...on_station_con....

Yep. *Spacious, airy, practical and warm. *Everything that a number of
other main termini are not.

I'd rather have an ice cold beauty than a warmed up corpse.

If I had a penny for every time I'd been told that ...
Old February 3rd 09, 07:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 22:57:18 -0000, "Andrew Heenan"
wrote:

"Jamie Thompson" wrote ...
Bring back the eastern bore, then have the tracks running primarily
diagonally from the mouths to the platforms. Perhaps move some of the
pointwork to the maiden lane opening. I guess if you wanted to be
drastic...you could even contemplate opening up some of the gasworks
tunnels.

When they open the 'new' platform on the taxi road, are they still planning
to call it "Platform Y", or have they come to their senses and agreed to
renumber the existing platforms.

I think there was a fear of confusing the signals folk - apparently they
could re-sign the platforms, but they'd run out of dymolabels to sort out
the signals diagrams ...

... or something equally stupid, unbelievable and Totally British Rail.

I thought British Rail Cased some years ago ?
Old February 3rd 09, 08:23 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 2 Feb, 21:31, Tom Anderson wrote:

That wouldn't hurt. But really, it needs either a second (well, third)
exit from the underground station (ideally, one entry and one exit), or
for the exit to be made a lot wider.

True.

For anyone interested, by the way, here's a photo of the rather dead
Euston concourse at about 5:30pm yesterday evening (really!). The
extra space from the removal of the retail units (which were around
the pillars in the foreground) is quite evident.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...1&id=541566883

Neil