Old December 4th 09, 04:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Mainline rail staions always zone 1?

I'm probably mistaken, but I thought the mainline stations were
slightly different within the zones? Although landing within Zone 1, I
thought they counted as Zone 2 on a travelcard. Today I was told
different, but I just assumed that I could use my 2-6 outside London
as normal, but that's still allow me into a mainline station.

Am I going completely mad?

Old December 4th 09, 04:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

elyob wrote:
I'm probably mistaken, but I thought the mainline stations were
slightly different within the zones? Although landing within Zone 1, I
thought they counted as Zone 2 on a travelcard. Today I was told
different, but I just assumed that I could use my 2-6 outside London
as normal, but that's still allow me into a mainline station.

Am I going completely mad?

I think you are definitely mistaken. Have you possibly read something along
the lines of "Zone 1 was drawn to include all the major main line terminii"
and then wrongly assumed the boundary went through the stations, rather than
just outside them?

Clearly they would be labelled differently on all the various maps if they
really were in both zone 1 and 2

Paul S

Old December 5th 09, 07:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Scott wrote:

I think you are definitely mistaken. Have you possibly read something along
the lines of "Zone 1 was drawn to include all the major main line terminii"

What's a terminius? :-)

Peter Beale
Old December 5th 09, 08:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Peter Beale wrote:
Paul Scott wrote:

I think you are definitely mistaken. Have you possibly read something
along the lines of "Zone 1 was drawn to include all the major main
line terminii"

What's a terminius? :-)

Peter Beale

One that's smaller than a termbigus?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old December 5th 09, 09:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Dec 4, 10:07*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 09:00:42 -0800 (PST), elyob
wrote:

I'm probably mistaken, but I thought the mainline stations were
slightly different within the zones? Although landing within Zone 1, I
thought they counted as Zone 2 on a travelcard. Today I was told
different, but I just assumed that I could use my 2-6 outside London
as normal, but that's still allow me into a mainline station.

Am I going completely mad?

I think you may be going mad. *All of the stations where national rail
trains terminate in Central London are in Zone 1 - in effect around the
edge of the Circle Line barring Waterloo and London Bridge which have
some water in the way.

Thameslink trains obviously (largely) cross Zone 1.

What you may be thinking of is that it is possible to interchange on to
the tube for cross London or to London terminals journeys at outer
stations like Seven Sisters, Stratford and Wimbledon. However a Z26
travelcard remains invalid for trips in Zone 1 and you cannot cross Zone
1 for free either. *If your ticket is on Oyster and you were assumed to
have crossed Zone 1 then your PAYG would be dipped into when you exit
the system.

Oh well, at least I managed to get *out* at Waterloo, and just had to
buy a single to *get in*. A tube ride from Tottenham Ct Rd to Vauxhall
wouldn't have been much fun. I will say that I did intend to only
visit zone 2, but the plans changed. SWT weren't much help with a
£5.60 upgrade.

Old December 7th 09, 01:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

£5.60 upgrade.- Hide quoted text -

As stated above, your PAYG balance (which may well now be negative if
you hadn't got any value there) will have been charged for the z2-z1
fare on touching out....