Old August 30th 09, 08:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster PAYG: zone 2 to zone 1 via zone 3

The question in summary is what fare should I pay using Oyster PAYG if I
travel from zone 2 to zone 1 via zone 3?

I know I ought to be able to find the answer to this within TfL's
material but I have failed so far.

And it is a practical issue for me. I commonly use the North London
Line from Homerton to Highbury & Islington and then on to central
London. But when the Victoria line is closed or there are other
problems with that route I may travel to Stratford and then use the
Jubilee line. I don't touch any transfer pad at Stratford (and don't
see any I could touch). So I am charged only for a zones 1-2 journey.

Is this right or should I be paying for a zones 1-3 journey please?

If I should be paying for a zones 1-3 journey, how/where ought I to
touch at Stratford please?

[1] I say "as was" as the TfL don't seem to use the term. But I don't
know then how they distinguish the different bits (chunks? legs?
appendages?) of the Overground.

Old August 30th 09, 10:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Thanks for the reassurance that I'm not going to get my collar felt at
Stratford.

You do touch in at Stratford on the interchange gateline at the end of
the Jubilee Line platforms and this could register the fact you go
through Zone 3.

My mistake. Might it be that I had in mind as "touch-free" the change
between NLL and Central line?

At Highbury you
have no rail replacement bus either so you are either compelled to
pay a bus fare on the 30 or else do what you do and go round the
houses by rail.

Yes - although I'd not seen the 30 as a substitute for the Victoria
line. But the absence of a replacement bus is a bit of a pain. And
it's made worse by the fare hit if we use the NLL and Northern. Is
there a TfL "wish list" where I could bid for an out of station
interchange between Camden Town and Camden Road?

Old August 31st 09, 11:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 31 Aug, 00:28, wrote:
In article ,

(neverwas) wrote:
You do touch in at Stratford on the interchange gateline at the end of
the Jubilee Line platforms and this could register the fact you go
through Zone 3.

My mistake. *Might it be that I had in mind as "touch-free" the
change between NLL and Central line?

The Jubilee platforms at Stratford are almost a separate station for some
reason.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

At present, it is likely that Homerton - Stratford - Jubilee - Zone
1 will be charged as Zone 2 - Zone 1 since Zone 2 - Zone 3 costs less
than Zone 2 to Zone 1 but the reverse direction will charge Zone 1 -
Zone 3 when you touch the gates at Stratford. Is there any reason for
an unexplained journey when touching out at Homerton? I can't see
any.

Just like you can go from Clapham Junction - West Brompton - Euston
(LUL) - Euston (NR) - Watford Junction (NR) for £2 off-peak (charged
£1.60 at Euston (LUL) then the remaining 40p at Watford Junction) but
travelling this route in the reverse direction will cost £4.00 off-
peak at the Euston (NR) barriers and then no further charge at Clapham
Junction.

Presumably, changes to take account of routeing will introduce a
specific Clapham to Watford via London fare. I have done Richmond -
Willesden Junction - Euston -Watford Junction for £1.10 not touching
in at Euston. Is this wrong? At present, Oyster fares are based on
start and end point with no requirement to specify your end point
until you get there - does the route / doubling back matter?

Jonathan
Old August 31st 09, 12:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I mentioned the 30 because it is regularly enhanced when the Vic Line
is closed to give extra capacity from Highbury to Kings Cross.

Thanks. I never knew that they enhanced the service at such times.

Your wish will be fulfilled in about a week (6/9/09) when the Camden
Road / Camden Town OSI will be restored.

thanks again - though if that is evidence of my new powers I regret
wasting a wish which I might have used to regain something better such
as my hair or waistline

Old September 1st 09, 04:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"neverwas" wrote in news:7EPmm.73927$OO7.56202
@text.news.virginmedia.com:

I mentioned the 30 because it is regularly enhanced when the Vic Line
is closed to give extra capacity from Highbury to Kings Cross.

Thanks. I never knew that they enhanced the service at such times.

Your wish will be fulfilled in about a week (6/9/09) when the Camden
Road / Camden Town OSI will be restored.

thanks again - though if that is evidence of my new powers I regret
wasting a wish which I might have used to regain something better such
as my hair or waistline

Look on the bright side. At least it wasn't a bit further down that the
powers needed restoring! :-)
Old September 8th 09, 09:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

You do touch in at Stratford on the interchange gateline at the end of
the Jubilee Line platforms and this could register the fact you go
through Zone 3...

I thought I'd tack this on here to save starting a new thread, but has
anyone else heard about a proposal to take the Jubilee gateline at
Stratford out of use? Standalone validators to be fitted instead
apparently.

I noticed it had been raised in District Dave's forum, but haven't seen
anything formal about it anywhere else yet...

Paul S

Old September 8th 09, 11:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sep 8, 10:24*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

"Paul Corfield" wrote:
You do touch in at Stratford on the interchange gateline at the end of
the Jubilee Line platforms and this could register the fact you go
through Zone 3...

I thought I'd tack this on here to save starting a new thread, but has
anyone else heard about a proposal to take the Jubilee gateline at
Stratford out of use? *Standalone validators to be fitted instead
apparently.

I noticed it had been raised in District Dave's forum, but haven't seen
anything formal about it anywhere else yet...

I've got something to say about this - I'll post a new thread tomorrow
(it's worth it!)...
Old September 9th 09, 06:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sep 8, 10:24*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

You do touch in at Stratford on the interchange gateline at the end of
the Jubilee Line platforms and this could register the fact you go
through Zone 3...

I thought I'd tack this on here to save starting a new thread, but has
anyone else heard about a proposal to take the Jubilee gateline at
Stratford out of use? *Standalone validators to be fitted instead
apparently.

I noticed it had been raised in District Dave's forum, but haven't seen
anything formal about it anywhere else yet...

Paul S

On another group someone reported receiving an E Mail from TfL
indicating that the gates were powered down from the weekend and only
people arriving on NR services (so no touch in elsewhere) would have
to touch in (or out) on validators.

My guess it is something to do with the introduction of the routing
validators and more than one price per route as well as recognising
that post Jan 2010 a significant proportion of NR users will have
touched in at their home station (within the zonal area of course). I
doubt the system is designed to deal with two forms of "interchange
logic". All speculation on my part as I have not seen anything else
about this.

--
Paul C
via Google