Old December 16th 09, 06:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Doubledecker overturns in Battersea

On 16 Dec, 18:57, Mr Thant
wrote:
On 16 Dec, 15:41, stan5001 wrote:
When the bus hit a bridge at Kentish Town West last year they did the
same and also put white stickers over the London General (that's
LONDON GENERAL) logos and all of the identifying numbers.

And in fact, the bus today has a load of gaffer tape over the Abellio
logo on the front.

Old December 16th 09, 06:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Terry gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

I think it was actually because the lorry driver didn't realise that the
lengths of railway line he was carrying projected a long way in front of
the cab.

Certainly looks like it.

More pics...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/london/h...le_and_places/
newsid_8416000/8416246.stm
Old December 16th 09, 06:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Dec 16, 7:11*pm, Adrian wrote:
Paul Terry gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

I think it was actually because the lorry driver didn't realise that the
lengths of railway line he was carrying projected a long way in front of
the cab.

Certainly looks like it.

More pics...http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/london/h...le_and_places/
newsid_8416000/8416246.stm

Aren't they required to check that sort of thing before they drive
off? From the TV earlier, it sounds like it wasn't t-boned but hit at
an angle It must have been going some to knock a bus over.

Neill
Old December 16th 09, 07:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 10:57:45 -0800 (PST), Mr Thant
wrote:

When the bus hit a bridge at Kentish Town West last year they did the
same and also put white stickers over the London General (that's
LONDON GENERAL) logos and all of the identifying numbers.

I'm led to believe that that sort of thing also goes on in the event
of a plane crash (where the wreckage is recognisable as such).

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old December 16th 09, 07:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 11:04:10 -0800 (PST), Mr Thant
wrote:

And in fact, the bus today has a load of gaffer tape over the Abellio
logo on the front.

Hee hee. Was that Abellio you said? Just want to be sure...

(Doesn't quite seem as much of an issue when it wasn't their fault,
though).

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Old December 16th 09, 09:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Neill wrote on 16 December 2009 19:23:51 ...
On Dec 16, 7:11 pm, Adrian wrote:
Paul Terry gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

I think it was actually because the lorry driver didn't realise that the
lengths of railway line he was carrying projected a long way in front of
the cab.

Certainly looks like it.

More pics...http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/london/h...le_and_places/
newsid_8416000/8416246.stm

Aren't they required to check that sort of thing before they drive
off? From the TV earlier, it sounds like it wasn't t-boned but hit at
an angle It must have been going some to knock a bus over.

The truck carries the name Hird and a Doncaster phone number.
Presumably that's Peter Hird & Sons, company motto: "Safety Takes
Priority". I note that the red-and-white striped triangles that are
meant to mark the ends of the rails were strapped so that they pointed
upwards -- so that they wouldn't interfere with the driver's vision perhaps?

--
Richard J.
Old December 16th 09, 09:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Dec 16, 7:11 pm, Adrian wrote:
[...]

My googling (hird haulage doncaster) found other possible contenders,
although as I don't know if they were involved I'm carefully not
mentioning names.

Rgds

Denis McMahon
Old December 16th 09, 10:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Denis McMahon wrote on 16 December 2009
22:49:50 ...
On Dec 16, 7:11 pm, Adrian wrote:
[...]

Oops. Yes, you're right. Apologies to Peter Hird & Sons -- it's not
them. It's evidently Hird Rail Services of Doncaster (the logo on the
truck matches the one on their site).

--
Richard J.
Old December 16th 09, 10:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Neil Williams" wrote in message

I'm led to believe that that sort of thing also goes on in the event
of a plane crash (where the wreckage is recognisable as such).

Yup. Pretty much standard practice.

Ian

Old December 17th 09, 09:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Dec 16, 6:57*pm, Mr Thant
wrote:
On 16 Dec, 15:41, stan5001 wrote:

Odd, they've changed the destination blind on the front to show "sorry
not in service". *What was the point in doing that?! *It was
definately showing the full C3 destination in earlier photos...

When the bus hit a bridge at Kentish Town West last year they did the
same and also put white stickers over the London General (that's
LONDON GENERAL) logos and all of the identifying numbers.

All of the press pictures were taken before they did it, so I have no
idea what the purpose was.

Likewise at White City earlier this year:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/teflon/3288267846/