Old December 18th 09, 05:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Moorgate branch decommissioned

There was loads of consultation, the DfT's website is full of it. *And when
Thameslink was delayed due to problems with other areas, they did it all
over again IIRC.

It’s not as if we’ve had a huge outcry since services were
discontinued is it?

I mean, there’s not exactly a shortage of spoilt Southern wingers
waiting to let you know over the slightest little thing.

It always been said, that when surveyed, one of the things tourists
most like about London is its Underground and that one of the things
that Londoners least like about London is its err.. Underground.
Old December 18th 09, 05:12 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Dec 18, 6:04*pm, allanbonnetracy
wrote:

I mean, there’s not exactly a shortage of spoilt Southern wingers
waiting to let you know over the slightest little thing.

Southern, as in todays TOC, or the BR Region, or The Railway, did not
operate to Moorgate.

So their whingers are unlikely to have had cause to whinge.

Do you actually know where Moorgate is ?

--
Nick

Old December 18th 09, 05:36 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 18 Dec, 18:04, allanbonnetracy wrote:

It’s not as if we’ve had a huge outcry since services were
discontinued is it?

And the Met Line services aren't overcrowded as a result. I guess
most of them are seeing it as a pleasant walk - it isn't *that* far
from Farringdon to Moorgate.

Neil
Old December 18th 09, 05:47 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Dec 18, 6:36*pm, Neil Williams wrote:
On 18 Dec, 18:04, allanbonnetracy wrote:

It’s not as if we’ve had a huge outcry since services were
discontinued is it?

And the Met Line services aren't overcrowded as a result. *I guess
most of them are seeing it as a pleasant walk - it isn't *that* far
from Farringdon to Moorgate.

Neil

Except the majority of passengers that were using Moorgate are walking
on further e.g. to Bank area, Broadgate, etc.

It may not be far from Moorgate to Broadgate nor far from Farringdon
to Moorgate, but you start adding them together and it becomes a lot
further.

Part of my working week I spend in an office block almost on top
Edgware Road station. I come off the Jubilee at Baker Street. I walk
that.

Edgware Road is not far from Paddington, and I walk that too, if I'm
going that way, and want to say grab some food along Praed St..

But I would not consider walking Baker Street to Paddington unless
there was no option.

--
Nick
Old December 19th 09, 12:26 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 10:47:53 -0800 (PST), D7666
wrote:

Except the majority of passengers that were using Moorgate are walking
on further e.g. to Bank area, Broadgate, etc.

Broadgate/Liverpool St are (as you say) very, very close to Moorgate
station. I was surprised by how close (I've been working around there
for a week or two and it's the first time I've really walked around
that area - and the distance from Liverpool St to Moorgate seems a lot
further below ground!)

Bank is a different one. To go there I'd get off at City Thameslink
and jump a 15 or walk from there, I wouldn't even consider Moorgate
and that walk. (Though when Blackfriars LUL reopens that's another
option).

The one big thing that I think is a proper loss from Moorgate is the
comfort of joining a train early at a terminus and having a good,
relaxing choice of seats.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Old December 19th 09, 04:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Dec 19, 1:26*am, (Neil Williams)
wrote:

Except the majority of passengers that were using Moorgate are walking
on further e.g. to Bank area, Broadgate, etc.

Broadgate/Liverpool St are (as you say) very, very close to Moorgate
station. *I was surprised by how close (I've been working around there
for a week or two and it's the first time I've really walked around
that area - and the distance from Liverpool St to Moorgate seems a lot
further below ground!)

Yes.

You may recall 3-4 yars back I posted a thread about applying for an
IT/comms job, with what was then ONE, at Liverpool Street - but they
did not interview me because ''I lived off their route inconsistent
with the possibility of call-out involved with the job''. That
Moorgate was so close, and very easy for my normal commute, that TL
would probably be working if ONE had collapsed, and that TL is (well
was at the time) a 24/7 route (at least to Farringdon) so could easy
get there at any time, seemed to have escaped them. This is HR of
course. I did fire off an email asking them if they knew where
Moorgate was but got no reply. Guess that attitude kind of killed my
chances anyway but then again you have to wonder if you'd really want
to work for a company with such a moronic view.

Actually I ended up doing a temp job in Finsbury Circus even closer to
Moorgate.

--
Nick

Old December 18th 09, 06:08 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Neil Williams" wrote

And the Met Line services aren't overcrowded as a result. I guess
most of them are seeing it as a pleasant walk - it isn't *that* far
from Farringdon to Moorgate.

Until they were withdrawn [1] the through Moorgate trains operated by the
SE&CR usually ran empty beyond Snow Hill/Holborn Viaduct LL because most
passengers preferred to leave the train there, or at Ludgate Hill, and walk.

[1] April 3rd 1916.

Peter

Old December 19th 09, 12:20 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 19:08:38 -0000, Peter Masson wrote:

And the Met Line services aren't overcrowded as a result. I guess
most of them are seeing it as a pleasant walk - it isn't *that* far
from Farringdon to Moorgate.

Until they were withdrawn [1] the through Moorgate trains operated by the
SE&CR usually ran empty beyond Snow Hill/Holborn Viaduct LL because most
passengers preferred to leave the train there, or at Ludgate Hill, and walk.

Not surprising if the trains ran as slowly through the central area as
the current Thameslink services do.
Old December 18th 09, 07:48 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 10:36:32 -0800 (PST)
Neil Williams wrote:
On 18 Dec, 18:04, allanbonnetracy wrote:

It=92s not as if we=92ve had a huge outcry since services were
discontinued is it?

And the Met Line services aren't overcrowded as a result. I guess
most of them are seeing it as a pleasant walk - it isn't *that* far
from Farringdon to Moorgate.

Its further than it looks. If you walk quick you might do it in 7 or 8
minutes. At normal walking pace its closer to 10 minutes.

B2003