Old December 18th 09, 01:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Moorgate branch decommissioned

"Jack Taylor" wrote in message
Following the timetable change, FCC have ceased running empties from
Farringdon into Moorgate and the branch has been fully decommissioned. As
at today, Thursday, the branch has been completely dewired, final removals
occurring adjacent to the LUL sidings at Farringdon today. The signalling
has also been switched out.

Given the speed at which this work is taking place, I guess that track
recovery will not be long commencing.

I would imagine the section would be of some use to LU - as it was in days
of yore.

DW downunder

Old December 18th 09, 01:52 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"DW downunder" noname wrote in message
"Jack Taylor" wrote in message
Following the timetable change, FCC have ceased running empties from
Farringdon into Moorgate and the branch has been fully
decommissioned. As at today, Thursday, the branch has been
completely dewired, final removals occurring adjacent to the LUL
sidings at Farringdon today. The signalling has also been switched
out. Given the speed at which this work is taking place, I guess that
track recovery will not be long commencing.

I would imagine the section would be of some use to LU - as it was in
days of yore.

Cue the usual speculation of outlandish schemes for express routes, DLR
extensions, etc...

Old December 18th 09, 01:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 14:27:30 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 14:13:21 on Fri, 18 Dec 2009,
remarked:
A train crossing a junction blocks it for much longer than just the
time taken to physically cross it. You're a bit of a prat, aren't you,
Boltar?

Oh , nicely argued. A train from moorgate would take up a slot from a
train going north from city thameslink just like it does at the moment.

But it would also take a slot for a southbound train. Flat junctions do
that.

Funnily enough they also allow a train to go to moorgate instead of
southbound. Or did you think there was a train factory at moorgate churning
out one every 30 mins to go north?

When I used to commute on that line 3 years ago the number of people going to
moorgate far exceeded the numbers going south via city thameslink but
obviously that means little to the planners who just want a shiny new
timetable and to save some maintenance costs and stuff the real needs of the
passengers.

B2003

Old December 18th 09, 01:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 22:17:38 +0800
"DW downunder" noname wrote:
"Jack Taylor" wrote in message
Following the timetable change, FCC have ceased running empties from
Farringdon into Moorgate and the branch has been fully decommissioned. As
at today, Thursday, the branch has been completely dewired, final removals
occurring adjacent to the LUL sidings at Farringdon today. The signalling
has also been switched out.

Given the speed at which this work is taking place, I guess that track
recovery will not be long commencing.

I would imagine the section would be of some use to LU - as it was in days
of yore.

Probably be useful as sidings but obviously as is ever the case in this
country the first priority will be to rip up the tracks and get the 50
quid scrap value for them. Then in 5 years time they can spend a few million
putting them back again when its decided it was useful to keep them after all.

B2003

Old December 18th 09, 02:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"DW downunder" noname wrote:
[...]

Ah, a man after my own heart - an optimist sigh.

But you're probably right.

DW downunder

Old December 18th 09, 02:05 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"DW downunder" noname wrote:
[...]

But see the thread about the Birmingham Moor Street bay platforms,
where the track was left in situ for a couple of decades and now has
to be replaced as it's jointed track with rotten wooden sleepers.
Old December 18th 09, 02:12 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 18 Dec, 14:52, "Recliner" wrote:

Cue the usual speculation of outlandish schemes for express routes, DLR
extensions, etc...

Speculation aside, having been to New York the 4-track express/local
split works wonders - Manhattan is as a result far, far quicker to get
around than London, though the system has its own faults. It's a pity
London didn't go that way early on.

That said, I'm not sure you'd save a lot skip-stopping Barbican, which
is all you'd really manage. Perhaps a more effective way to speed up
the subsurface lines is for the stock to have acceleration/
deceleration like a Desiro and presumably a higher top speed to make
use of it. Will the S-stock manage that, or is the power supply not
up to it?

That said, if the infrastructure was there, a District Line that did
Earls Court-Victoria-Embankment-Blackfriars-Monument-Tower Gateway
would speed up that somewhat glacially slow service somewhat. The
western part, of course, already has express services in the form of
the Picc. A Central Line that missed out everything except the
interchanges would also be useful, same with the Picc, but I don't see
a lot of scope on other lines.

Neil
Old December 18th 09, 02:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 18 Dec, 15:06, Simon Barber wrote:

I wonder whether there was any 'consultation' with passengers using
the branch. *It sounds as if there were a lot of them and that should
have made the decision. *The railway exists to serve its customers,
not jerks in the DfT or TfL.

I'm pleased about the closure because I'll eventually gain from it -
the increased frequency on Thameslink will mean Great Northern trains
are sent through the central section so combined with Crossrail I'll
be able to make a single change to get to work.

Ganesh