London Banter

-   -   New years day service - or lack thereof (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/10220-new-years-day-service-lack.html)

Roland Perry January 2nd 10 11:35 AM

New years day service - or lack thereof

In message , at 04:48:19
on Sat, 2 Jan 2010, remarked:
I've already noted that I was confused between the tube and NR.

Some 23 seconds after I posted my remark. Quick work!

Hours before, given that I read and post offline.

I'm afraid I'm not responsible for reading the newsgroup postings
you haven't yet uploaded, as well as the one you have :)

Other way round. I hadn't read yours yet when I wrote mine.

So don't complain to me about your OLR lag, five hours later.

[email protected] January 2nd 10 01:19 PM

New years day service - or lack thereof

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message , at
04:48:19 on Sat, 2 Jan 2010,

remarked:
I've already noted that I was confused between the tube and NR.

Some 23 seconds after I posted my remark. Quick work!

Hours before, given that I read and post offline.

I'm afraid I'm not responsible for reading the newsgroup postings
you haven't yet uploaded, as well as the one you have :)

Other way round. I hadn't read yours yet when I wrote mine.

So don't complain to me about your OLR lag, five hours later.

Some of us have other things than read newsgroups to do all day on New
Year's Day!

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry January 2nd 10 02:02 PM

New years day service - or lack thereof

In message , at 08:19:57
on Sat, 2 Jan 2010, remarked:
So don't complain to me about your OLR lag, five hours later.

Some of us have other things than read newsgroups to do all day on New
Year's Day!

It doesn't matter what you were doing on any specific day, the issue
here is refraining from complaining about things that are of your
making, not someone else's.

Paul Cummins[_3_] January 2nd 10 02:22 PM

Perry) wrote:

It doesn't matter what you were doing on any specific day, the
issue here is refraining from complaining about things that are of
your making, not someone else's.

That's not fair, Roland - you were an official fan of AMEOL once.

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981

Roland Perry January 2nd 10 02:29 PM

New years day service - or lack thereof

In message t, at
15:22:00 on Sat, 2 Jan 2010, Paul Cummins
remarked:
It doesn't matter what you were doing on any specific day, the
issue here is refraining from complaining about things that are of
your making, not someone else's.

That's not fair, Roland - you were an official fan of AMEOL once.

As far as I'm aware there's nothing special in Ameol that obscures when
posting were made, and thereby excuses people complaining that your
posting ignores one that they have yet to distribute (although in this
case they had also yet to type it!)

Paul Cummins[_3_] January 2nd 10 02:37 PM

Perry) wrote:

As far as I'm aware there's nothing special in Ameol that obscures
when posting were made, and thereby excuses people complaining that
your posting ignores one that they have yet to distribute (although
in this case they had also yet to type it!)

Apart from the off-line aspect of it.

The posting date/time will be when you blink, not when you write.

[email protected] January 2nd 10 03:08 PM

New years day service - or lack thereof

On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 18:12:02 +0000
Bruce wrote:
On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 09:52:26 +0000 (UTC), d
wrote:
We wanted to go up to the new years day parade today - but oh what a surprise
- the tube is doing a 1 train every half hour service in the burbs. Fantastic.
Good to know the people running public transport really have the public
interest at heart.

Why would it be in "the public interest" to run trains at more
frequent intervals when there is insufficient demand to justify them?

So 250,000 people turning up for the new years day parade is insufficient
demand? Who knows how many would have gone if the tube service had been
better.

So who should pay for these unnecessary additional trains? Council
tax payers in London? Taxpayers around the UK?

And there was me thinking thats what the fares are for.

B2003

Roland Perry January 2nd 10 03:31 PM

New years day service - or lack thereof

In message t, at
15:37:00 on Sat, 2 Jan 2010, Paul Cummins
remarked:
As far as I'm aware there's nothing special in Ameol that obscures
when posting were made, and thereby excuses people complaining that
your posting ignores one that they have yet to distribute (although
in this case they had also yet to type it!)

Apart from the off-line aspect of it.

The posting date/time will be when you blink, not when you write.

And does Ameol obscure when that was?

Paul Cummins[_3_] January 2nd 10 03:40 PM

Perry) wrote:

The posting date/time will be when you blink, not when you write.

And does Ameol obscure when that was?

It obscures when you wrote the message - it could have been many years
before you posted it...

[email protected] January 2nd 10 03:53 PM

New years day service - or lack thereof

On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 16:47:00 +0000
Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 16:08:01 +0000 (UTC), d wrote:

So 250,000 people turning up for the new years day parade is insufficient
demand? Who knows how many would have gone if the tube service had been
better.

Apparently another 250,000 people made it. I assume they walked ;-)

Was it half a mil? Guess LBC got it wrong.

Anyway , that just makes my point even more valid.

B2003