Old January 19th 10, 08:05 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
No Name

Default Radio 4 - the derailing of transport 2010

"McKevvy" wrote in message
On 18 Jan, 14:57, David Hansen
wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 14:27:32 +0000 someone who may be Roland Perry
wrote this:-

All about why Mr Prescott's 10 year transport plan didn't happen.

The plan where he told us that it was a promise, and we were to hold
him to account.

Maybe we shouldn't vote for him in the general election, then?

That would be difficult as he has announced he is standing down from
the Westminster parliament and I don't think he intends to give
people the opportunity to vote for him in another arena.

I did come up with the quote though, according to Wikipedia:

"Integrated transport policy

"On coming to office, Prescott pursued an integrated public
transport policy. On 6 June 1997, he said: "I will have failed if in
five years time there are not...far fewer journeys by car. It's a
tall order but I urge you to hold me to it."[12] However, by June
2002, car traffic was up by 7%. This prompted Friends of the Earth's
Tony Bosworth to say "By its own test, Government transport policy
has failed".[13]"

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54

But will the electorate vote NuLab back into office again? Considerng
that he made this as a *promise*, do we vote for failed politicians?

I don't, but people keep voting for David Blunkett in Sheffield.

Peter Fox

Old January 19th 10, 08:07 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
No Name

"Bevan Price" wrote in message

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 14:08:51 on
Mon, 18 Jan 2010, David Hansen
remarked:
All about why Mr Prescott's 10 year transport plan didn't happen.

The plan where he told us that it was a promise, and we were to hold
him to account.

Maybe we shouldn't vote for him in the general election, then?

Or any other politician? Many of them seem to make empty promises to try &
get elected. Why should we believe or support any of them ?

Because some of them are very good. You can't tar them all with the same
brush. We have had 2 very good MPs in our constituency.

Peter Fox

Old January 19th 10, 08:46 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jan 18, 2:06*pm, plcd1 wrote:
and programme on Radio 4 this evening at 2000.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00pxk9w

All about why Mr Prescott's 10 year transport plan didn't happen.
Might be worth a listen.

Well I did, and it was disappointing - except for Phil Goodwin and his
point that the politicians keep on going round and round without
getting anywhere. Prescott said about the 10 year plan: "it got people
thinking", yet he was not picked up on the key White Paper statement
that we had to have a partnership between the various organisations.
That didn't happen, yet it seems Adonis is now trying to lead another
partnership concept.

As for David Begg, words fail me...
Old January 19th 10, 09:02 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 19 Jan, 09:05, wrote:
"McKevvy" wrote in message

wrote this:-

[...]

Peter Fox- Hide quoted text -

As the anarchists say, 'whoever you vote for the Government gets
elected'.
Old January 19th 10, 11:09 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 09:05:21 -0000,
wrote:

But will the electorate vote NuLab back into office again? Considerng
that he made this as a *promise*, do we vote for failed politicians?

I don't, but people keep voting for David Blunkett in Sheffield.

Blunkett has a very good reputation as constituency MP.

Presumably, that is a factor in his continuing electoral success?

Old January 19th 10, 11:12 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 01:46:36 -0800 (PST), ticketyboo
wrote:

On Jan 18, 2:06*pm, plcd1 wrote:
and programme on Radio 4 this evening at 2000.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00pxk9w

All about why Mr Prescott's 10 year transport plan didn't happen.
Might be worth a listen.

Well I did, and it was disappointing - except for Phil Goodwin and his
point that the politicians keep on going round and round without
getting anywhere. Prescott said about the 10 year plan: "it got people
thinking", yet he was not picked up on the key White Paper statement
that we had to have a partnership between the various organisations.
That didn't happen, yet it seems Adonis is now trying to lead another
partnership concept.

As for David Begg, words fail me...

David Begg's words failed him too! As Chairman of the Commission on
Integrated Transport, he was about as ineffectual as any human being
could have been.

Too many words, no action.

Old January 19th 10, 10:23 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jan 19, 8:04*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 01:46:36 -0800 (PST), ticketyboo

As for David Begg, words fail me...

Well being cynical about it he's taken the golden coin as Chairman of
Tube Lines so I doubt he has much to be bothered about from the old days
of pushing academic concepts.
--
Paul C

The CfIT under Begg was extremely critical of government transport
policy failings - so much so that it was threatened with being shut
down. For example, http://cfit.independent.gov.uk/factsheets/04/index.htm
makes embarrassing reading.

As I said in my earlier post, this all-conquering fear of upsetting
the motorist - without actually asking him what he really wants - is
why politicians always back down. Prescott came across as a numpty at
the end of the programme - trends in car ownership and use were there
for all to see in his own department's transport statistics.

More Livingstones and Penalosas (look him up) please.
Old January 20th 10, 08:12 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 15:23:48 -0800 (PST) someone who may be EE507
wrote this:-

The CfIT under Begg was extremely critical of government transport
policy failings

However, it allowed itself to be fooled by the lorry lobby with
regard to 44 tonne lorries. I vague a recollection of Mr Begg
admitting as much on the radio some years ago.

Old January 20th 10, 01:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

plcd1 wrote:
Article here on BBC website

and programme on Radio 4 this evening at 2000.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00pxk9w

All about why Mr Prescott's 10 year transport plan didn't happen.
Might be worth a listen.

Thanks, Paul.

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

Old January 21st 10, 08:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 14:57:53 +0000, David Hansen
mangled uncounted electrons
thus:

wrote this:-

[...]

He should have asked Jim Hacker - who (after receiving the
assistance of his officials) learned very quickly that an
integrated transport policy can't be done...

Martin D. Pay
I work with someone who would rather spend 55 minutes (his own
estimation) in a car each morning and evening to get to and from
work than walk a half-mile to his local station and catch a train
for a 15-minute journey...