Old January 18th 10, 01:06 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Radio 4 - the derailing of transport 2010

Article here on BBC website

and programme on Radio 4 this evening at 2000.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00pxk9w

All about why Mr Prescott's 10 year transport plan didn't happen.
Might be worth a listen.

--
Paul C
via Google

Old January 18th 10, 01:08 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 06:06:53 -0800 (PST) someone who may be plcd1
wrote this:-

All about why Mr Prescott's 10 year transport plan didn't happen.

The plan where he told us that it was a promise, and we were to hold
him to account.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54
Old January 18th 10, 01:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:08:51 on
Mon, 18 Jan 2010, David Hansen
remarked:
All about why Mr Prescott's 10 year transport plan didn't happen.

The plan where he told us that it was a promise, and we were to hold
him to account.

Maybe we shouldn't vote for him in the general election, then?
Old January 18th 10, 01:52 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"plcd1" wrote in message

Article here on BBC website

and programme on Radio 4 this evening at 2000.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00pxk9w

All about why Mr Prescott's 10 year transport plan didn't happen.
Might be worth a listen.

This bit certainly rings true:
"He had a weight not all transport ministers have had. Sometimes it's
been a job either for young ministers on the way up who can hardly wait
to get a better job, or for old ministers on the way down who resent
that they've been demoted."

The deputy prime minister wasn't like that, says Phil Goodwin

Old January 18th 10, 01:57 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 14:27:32 +0000 someone who may be Roland Perry
wrote this:-

All about why Mr Prescott's 10 year transport plan didn't happen.

The plan where he told us that it was a promise, and we were to hold
him to account.

Maybe we shouldn't vote for him in the general election, then?

That would be difficult as he has announced he is standing down from
the Westminster parliament and I don't think he intends to give
people the opportunity to vote for him in another arena.

I did come up with the quote though, according to Wikipedia:

"Integrated transport policy

"On coming to office, Prescott pursued an integrated public
transport policy. On 6 June 1997, he said: "I will have failed if in
five years time there are not...far fewer journeys by car. It's a
tall order but I urge you to hold me to it."[12] However, by June
2002, car traffic was up by 7%. This prompted Friends of the Earth’s
Tony Bosworth to say "By its own test, Government transport policy
has failed".[13]"

Old January 18th 10, 02:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Recliner) wrote:

He had a weight not all transport ministers have had.

Hence the two jags?

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981
Old January 18th 10, 02:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Cummins wrote:
In article ,
(Recliner) wrote:

He had a weight not all transport ministers have had.

Hence the two jags?

Hence the two jugs!

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

Old January 18th 10, 02:10 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote this:-

[...]

*I will *always* explain revoked encryption keys, unless RIP prevents me
*http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54

But will the electorate vote NuLab back into office again? Considerng
that he made this as a *promise*, do we vote for failed politicians?

McKevvy
Old January 18th 10, 02:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

McKevvy wrote:
On 18 Jan, 14:57, David Hansen
wrote:

I did come up with the quote though, according to Wikipedia:

"Integrated transport policy

"On coming to office, Prescott pursued an integrated public
transport policy. On 6 June 1997, he said: "I will have failed if in
five years time there are not...far fewer journeys by car. It's a
tall order but I urge you to hold me to it."[12] However, by June
2002, car traffic was up by 7%. This prompted Friends of the Earth’s
Tony Bosworth to say "By its own test, Government transport policy
has failed".[13]"

But will the electorate vote NuLab back into office again? Considerng
that he made this as a *promise*, do we vote for failed politicians?

If "we" means the Hull East people in 2005, yes we do.

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

Old January 18th 10, 02:42 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:57:53 on
Mon, 18 Jan 2010, David Hansen
remarked:
All about why Mr Prescott's 10 year transport plan didn't happen.

The plan where he told us that it was a promise, and we were to hold
him to account.

Maybe we shouldn't vote for him in the general election, then?

That would be difficult as he has announced he is standing down from
the Westminster parliament and I don't think he intends to give
people the opportunity to vote for him in another arena.

Exactly; so any promise that he might be held to account is empty.