Old January 20th 10, 09:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL Journey Planner

The Journey Planner is playing up this morning. I entered Phoenix Place
as my destination and received directions to Phoenix Palace (and yes, I
did check my spelling). I then tried entering WC1X 0DL (the postcode for
Freeling House, Phoenix Place) as my destination and received directions
to WC1X 9AR, Irish Centre Housing Ltd.

Strange.

--
John Ray

Old January 20th 10, 10:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 20 Jan, 10:04, John Ray
wrote:
The Journey Planner is playing up this morning. I entered Phoenix Place
as my destination and received directions to Phoenix Palace (and yes, I
did check my spelling). I then tried entering WC1X 0DL (the postcode for
Freeling House, Phoenix Place) as my destination and received directions
to WC1X 9AR, Irish Centre Housing Ltd.

A while back, I had some correspondence with TfL about not being able
to get bus directions to Highgate Village (instead being directed to
some college about a mile away). The person at the other end insisted
that it was because I was entering something obscure and it was
guessing. I suggested that Highgate Village was well-known.
Old January 20th 10, 01:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MIG wrote:

A while back, I had some correspondence with TfL about not being able
to get bus directions to Highgate Village (instead being directed to
some college about a mile away).

A mile away? I just tried it and got sent to Ligh****er Village School in
Bagshot!

The person at the other end insisted
that it was because I was entering something obscure and it was
guessing. I suggested that Highgate Village was well-known.

It is the normal name for the area... although people could say "Highgate
High Street" and achieve much the same result. I thought that it can't be
the only place in London where the station is so far from the High Street,
but a quick search around the map of London led me to Wimbledon, where the
phrase "Wimbledon Village" is also used. I don't think the phrase "Stanmore
Village" is widely used, since the station of that name closed at any rate.

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

Old January 20th 10, 03:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jan 20, 3:32*pm, (Paul Cummins) wrote:

In article ,
(Basil Jet) wrote:
just tried it and got sent to Ligh****er Village School in
Bagshot!

Surely the clue that Ligh****er Village School is *not* in Bagshot is in
its name?

That's like saying Belgium is in France.

A number of comments on uk.railway have seemed to suggest that the
authors think Lille is in Belgium. A friend of mine did too - I
chastised him and sent him away to look at a map! (He thought he'd
only ever been through Lille on the Eurostar to Brussels, hence
thought it was in Belgium. However Paris trains do either stop there
or otherwise go through Lille fast, but if the latter happens you can
hardly notice it unless you're looking out for it carefully.)

Old January 30th 10, 02:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Basil Jet" wrote:

It is the normal name for the area... although people could say
"Highgate
High Street" and achieve much the same result. I thought that it can't
be
the only place in London where the station is so far from the High
Street,
but a quick search around the map of London led me to Wimbledon, where
the
phrase "Wimbledon Village" is also used. I don't think the phrase
"Stanmore
Village" is widely used, since the station of that name closed at any
rate.

Chislehurst/Chislehurst Village?
(and I suppose the various Dulwich stations + Sydenham Hill, see threads
passim)

--
Current nearest station: