Old June 29th 04, 08:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default I still don't understand TfL's Journey Planner!!!

First, thanks to everyone who explained how to use the Address option so I
don't get a bus stop at the wrong end of the road! (You'd think TfL would
make this the default option. After all, how many people actually memorise
the names of bus stops?)

Anyway, even giving it my home address doesn't always help. Here it thinks
I can walk to Crystal Palace Parade, leaving at 9.27 and arriving there at
9.10 -- that's 17 minutes *BEFORE* I left!

So what did I do wrong this time? Did I forget to select a "no time
machines" option, or something equally obscure?

09:27 From (*Address Snipped*) (SE19)
Walk to Crystal Palace Parade.
Transfer time: 7 minutes

09:10 From Crystal Palace Parade
Take Bus 227 towards Bromley North to Shortlands
Buses every: 7-8 minutes
Max journey time:35 minutes.

09:53 From Shortlands Station
Take Bus 358 towards Orpington Station to Farnborough / The George
Buses every: 12 minutes
Max journey time:37 minutes.

10:30 arrival at Farnborough / The George

Old June 29th 04, 10:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Solar Penguin wrote:
First, thanks to everyone who explained how to use the Address
option so I don't get a bus stop at the wrong end of the road!
(You'd think TfL would make this the default option. After all,
how many people actually memorise the names of bus stops?)

Anyway, even giving it my home address doesn't always help. Here
it thinks I can walk to Crystal Palace Parade, leaving at 9.27 and
arriving there at
9.10 -- that's 17 minutes *BEFORE* I left!

So what did I do wrong this time?

Nothing. It's a bug in the JP that I have reported previously in vain.
There's something seriously wrong with the walking calculations. It
also often shaves a minute or two off the stated walking time in order
to catch a particular train.
--
Richard J.

Old June 29th 04, 10:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Richard J. wrote:
Solar Penguin wrote:

Anyway, even giving it my home address doesn't always help. Here
it thinks I can walk to Crystal Palace Parade, leaving at 9.27 and
arriving there at
9.10 -- that's 17 minutes *BEFORE* I left!

So what did I do wrong this time?

Nothing. It's a bug in the JP that I have reported previously in vain.
There's something seriously wrong with the walking calculations.

Maybe it assumes you're walking faster than light, thus travelling
backwards in time?

Even I don't walk that fast, and people keep complaining they can't keep
up with me...

Niklas
--
"Welcome to the wonderful world of railway ticketing, where bugger all makes
sense."
Old June 29th 04, 10:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Solar Penguin wrote:
First, thanks to everyone who explained how to use the Address option so I
don't get a bus stop at the wrong end of the road! (You'd think TfL would
make this the default option. After all, how many people actually memorise
the names of bus stops?)

Anyway, even giving it my home address doesn't always help. Here it thinks
I can walk to Crystal Palace Parade, leaving at 9.27 and arriving there at
9.10 -- that's 17 minutes *BEFORE* I left!

My personal favourite is their first listed route from Maida Vale to
Walthamstow after the tubes have finished:

Maida Vale
Walk to Elgin Avenue/Maida Vale.
Transfer time: 3 min.

Elgin Avenue/Maida Vale
Take Bus N16 towards Victoria
to Hyde Park Corner Station Stop: F
Av journey time: 13 min.

Hyde Park Corner
Take Express Bus A7 towards Stansted Airport, Coach Stn
to Stansted Airport, Coach Stn
Av journey time: 90 min.

Stansted Airport, Coach Stn
Take Express Bus A7 towards Victoria Coach Station
to Stratford Centre

Stratford Centre Stop: F
Take Bus N86 towards Stratford Bus Station
or Bus 158 towards Stratford Bus Station
to Stratford Bus Station Stop: A
Max journey time: 11 min.

Stratford Bus Station Stop: A
Take Bus 257 towards Walthamstow Central Bus Stn
to Walthamstow Central Stop: M
Av journey time: 23 min.

Walthamstow Central

Max. Journey Time: 03:51; Interchanges: 4

What is wrong with the N38 at the point where you get to Victoria, I
have no idea!

:-)

dave
Old June 30th 04, 04:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 23:04:05 +0100, Dave Newt
firebird.remove.net.this.remove.me.20.den@spamgou rmet.com wrote:

Solar Penguin wrote:
[...]

or change to N73 at Marble Arch out of the N16?

I find your example above truly amazing - still if you can now use a
Travelcard to Stansted Airport I guess it's a way to keep warm if it's a
bit chilly at night :-)
--
Paul C