Old February 1st 10, 09:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 3 Car DLR....

Have there been any in public service yet?

I hoped I'd get lucky when I arrived at Canary Wharf at 9am this morning,
but no sign. Nothing when I was on my way home either.

Old February 2nd 10, 12:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I made four journeys earlier and didn't spot any 3 car trains despite
an announcement on the radio this morning that they were being phased
in from today. I'm not sure how the phasing will go as people are
likely to be confused as to where to stand on the platforms.

I did see a rather nifty looking poster at Cutty Sark advising
passengers where to travel in the train if they were planning on
getting off there. Probably would have been more useful at all the
other stations!

Bank station appeared to have had a bit of a spring clean and slightly
brighter lighting but nothing much else. The white strip at the edge
of the platform has been repainted and the track bed given a thorough
clean. Disappointing that the fixed staircase hadn't miraculously
become a third escalator ;-)
Old February 2nd 10, 07:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2 Feb, 01:20, Mudchute wrote:
I made four journeys earlier and didn't spot any 3 car trains despite
an announcement on the radio this morning that they were being phased
in from today. I'm not sure how the phasing will go as people are
likely to be confused as to where to stand on the platforms.

Also, none of the two-car trains have changed stopping points between
Bank and Canary Wharf, apart from the eastbound platform at Limehouse
where this had happened months ago. This is also the case for trains
reversing in the headshunt at Bank, judging by the time it took a two-
car train to emerge after I heard it start to move.

Does this mean that two-car trains will continue to stop towards the
back of platforms where the extensions are at the front, or that they
still need to change this?

Bank station appeared to have had a bit of a spring clean and slightly
brighter lighting but nothing much else. The white strip at the edge
of the platform has been repainted and the track bed given a thorough
clean. Disappointing that the fixed staircase hadn't miraculously
become a third escalator ;-)

Yes, I thought the overall result at Bank was rather oversold.

The other visible work is that the layout at Royal Mint Street
junction has been modified by adding a crossover allowing trains to
Tower Gateway to cross directly onto the left-hand track into Tower
Gateway instead of running along the opposite track for some distance.
However this crossover doesn't seem to be in use yet as such trains
are still taking the old route.

Is this really all they did during the 5 week closure?
Old February 2nd 10, 08:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

"Ganesh Sittampalam" wrote in message
On 2 Feb, 01:20, Mudchute wrote:
[...]

Also approaching Bank there does seem to be a few "fences" at the side of
the track? Is this to stop people living nearby being able to see trains
going past?

Old February 2nd 10, 08:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2 Feb, 01:20, Mudchute wrote:
[...]

The 'fences' on the DLR are normally for with noise reduction IIRC...

Paul S

Old February 3rd 10, 04:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

On 2 Feb, 01:20, Mudchute wrote:
[...]

Oh I think these ones are new

Old February 3rd 10, 05:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message

"Paul Scott" wrote in message

Also approaching Bank there does seem to be a few "fences" at the side
of the track? Is this to stop people living nearby being able to see
trains going past?

The 'fences' on the DLR are normally for noise reduction IIRC...

Oh I think these ones are new

The new track layout may well be noisier than before, and/or the
installation has had to meet better current standards. Also, a change from
2 car to 3 car trains will increase noise pro-rata.

Paul S

Old February 14th 10, 04:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 1 Feb, 22:42, Martin Petrov
wrote:
Have there been any in public service yet?

I hoped I'd get lucky when I arrived at Canary Wharf at 9am this morning,
but no sign. Nothing when I was on my way home either.

Well, yes and no.

I was out and about on the DLR today and there was another
three-"carriage" test train running up and down and stopping at the
stations. It was the 07/09 stock again.

At the stations the door lights were flashing a couple of times, but
not evidently being released and the internal lights were off. The
destination was "Not in service" rather than "Special" as on the one I
saw a couple of weeks ago.

When I saw it head south, I didn't pay attention to the platform
indicators. When it headed north, the indicators showed "Island
Gardens" and I thought maybe it was going to do a short run in
service, but it showed up still "Not in service" and clearly wasn't in
service.

I noticed that all the Flight Lieutenants (or whatever the DLR crew
are called this week) were working from the front today. Come to
think of it, they were doing that during last week as well.

I am guessing that with the differential stopping points at the SDO
stations, they need to work from the front to make sure that ALL
trains stop at the correct point.

In the meantime, on Thursday at least, there was still a sign at
Shadwell saying "... will not stop beyond this point".