Old August 23rd 05, 08:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default DLR three car trains - City Airport extension

Does anyone know if the stations on the City Airport extension are
built for three car operation?

And are they planning to run three cars at the start?

The Beckton branch is getting just as congested as the Lewisham branch
at peak times. With more and more new housing developments in the area
it can only get worse.

And with local (and useful) bus services being non existant, three car
trains might be needed sooner rather than later.

Any thoughts?

A.

Old August 23rd 05, 12:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Londoncityslicker" a écrit dans le message
de oups.com...
Does anyone know if the stations on the City Airport extension are
built for three car operation?

And are they planning to run three cars at the start?

The Beckton branch is getting just as congested as the Lewisham branch
at peak times. With more and more new housing developments in the area
it can only get worse.

And with local (and useful) bus services being non existant, three car
trains might be needed sooner rather than later.

According to a TfL announcement in June:

"(...) The Railway opened in 1987 and by 1994 was carrying 8.2m passengers.
By 2003 passenger numbers stood at 44m and DLR is now carrying over 50m
passengers a year.
The network has grown from 15 to 34 stations and 11 to 94 vehicles running
over 27kms of track. Trains will be extended from two to three vehicles by
2009."

Development Contact - Judy De Haan

020 7363 9667 -

So the LCA extension (on which test running has just begun) will initially
have two-car trains at stations designed to be extended to three-car units.

Regards,

- Alan (in Brussels)

Old August 23rd 05, 08:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Alan (in Brussels)" wrote in message

[...]

As far as I know three car trains are only running between Bank and
Lewisham.

Old August 25th 05, 07:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

londoncityslicker wrote:
[...]

A clarification:
- The City Airport extension has been built for two-car trains.
- The Woolwich extension is being built for three-car trains.
- Three-car trains will initially run only between Bank and Lewisham,
from 2009.
- Money has been allocated from the Olympic fund to extend platforms at
City Airport extension stations for three-car trains, for 2012.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old August 26th 05, 05:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 20:54:39 +0100, Dave Arquati wrote:

"Londoncityslicker" a écrit dans le
message de oups.com...

Does anyone know if the stations on the City Airport extension are
built for three car operation?

[snip]

A clarification:
- The City Airport extension has been built for two-car trains.
- The Woolwich extension is being built for three-car trains.
- Three-car trains will initially run only between Bank and Lewisham,
from 2009.
- Money has been allocated from the Olympic fund to extend platforms at
City Airport extension stations for three-car trains, for 2012.

Ah - thank you. I had ascertained the first and third points in your
list. However I have not been able to find anything on the DLR site
(from a quick search admittedly) that categorically states points 2 and
4 from your list.

Sorry to be a bit cheeky but can you point me to the definitive detail
from TfL that deals with the 3 car extension plans for other than Bank
to Lewisham. I have done a quick trawl of your site as well :-)
--
Paul C

Old August 28th 05, 10:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
[...]

The Olympic money for three-car running on the LCY extension is
mentioned in the latest issue of DLR's passenger newsletter:
http://pressroom.dlr.co.uk/pdf/DLR30...sletter_AW.PDF

Can't find the proof that Woolwich Arsenal will be able to take 3 cars
at the moment, although it's sort of implied by the fact that the
Olympic money is just for upgrading the LCY stations.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old August 28th 05, 11:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 11:51:20 +0100, Dave Arquati wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:

[dlr 3 car operation]

Sorry to be a bit cheeky but can you point me to the definitive detail
from TfL that deals with the 3 car extension plans for other than Bank
to Lewisham. I have done a quick trawl of your site as well :-)

The Olympic money for three-car running on the LCY extension is
mentioned in the latest issue of DLR's passenger newsletter:
http://pressroom.dlr.co.uk/pdf/DLR30...sletter_AW.PDF

Can't find the proof that Woolwich Arsenal will be able to take 3 cars
at the moment, although it's sort of implied by the fact that the
Olympic money is just for upgrading the LCY stations.

I had seen that article before which is why I was a bit uncertain given
the lack of clarity in the official press releases. The newsletter does
say the 3 car enhancements apply between the City and Woolwich Arsenal
so I think it's a bit more than implied.

I think I may send DLR an E Mail asking for complete clarity.
--
Paul C