Old February 10th 10, 11:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Amfibus

On 10 Feb 2010 12:02:47 GMT
Adrian wrote:
Far, far easier. All buses are just very-low-production more-or-less-
handbuilt bodies on standard chassis, unlike mass production cars.

The drivetrain on that thing, as with all buses, is all underneath and at
rear. Bog standard Volvo, according to the DATBV website. The steering on
normal buses is completely separate from the drivetrain, unlike a normal
car, and is almost certainly bog standard Volvo, too. I'd bet the chassis
is bog-standard Volvo. It's really just a bog-standard Volvo coach with a
bit of basic waterproofing and some hydrojet propulsion powered by a PTO,
all in the normal under-floor storage space.

Ok , I stand corrected.

Whats a PTO?

I imagine the chassis will need extra rust protection if it'll be spending a
lot of its life in water thought.

B2003

Old February 10th 10, 11:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
,
Mizter T writes

On Feb 10, 9:01*am, Paul Terry wrote:

The N10 was withdrawn on 30th January, on which date the 10 (going only
as far as Hammersmith) became a 24-hour service. On the same date, the
33 from Hammersmith also became a 24-hour service, covering much of the
rest of the N10 route - but via Barnes instead of Putney.

Press release about the changes he
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...tre/14049.aspx

Which doesn't point out that although the two replacements for the N10
both run every 30 minutes, they are not synchronised at Hammersmith - so
there is now an 18-minute wait.
--
Paul Terry
Old February 10th 10, 01:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10 Feb 2010 12:40:35 GMT
Adrian wrote:
I imagine the chassis will need extra rust protection if it'll be
spending a lot of its life in water thought.

D'you know, I suspect that has crossed their minds...

Indeed. But when you said "I'd bet the chassis is bog-standard Volvo" it
apparently hadn't crossed yours. I'd give a bog standard one 3 months tops
before it rusts to bits.

B2003

Old February 10th 10, 02:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london
cph cph is offline

On Feb 9, 7:04*am, Mizter T wrote:
On Feb 9, 2:44*pm, "Basil Jet"

wrote:
How cool is this!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8506154.stm

The Clyde is 100-150 metres wide where they are using it, which is
comparable with the Thames at Battersea.

There must be places in London where some of these could run - and if they
had a few unused at the weekend, they might be able to run Jubilee Line
replacement services in East London, which they can't at the moment. But I
don't know if the slipways are in the appropriate places.

Saw that a bit earlier too - cool indeed! And likewise, I also
pondered possible applications of it in London.

Of course there is already an amphibious bus service of sorts in
London already - but it's no good for getting anywhere as it's
circular - it being the Duck Tour, which splashes into and exits from
the Thames using a slipway immediately adjacent to the MI6 building in
Vauxhall.

We have those duck tours here in the States too. But this looks like a
real
bus, instead of a boat with wheels...

I wonder if/when it goes into passenger service, there would need to
be life
jackets aboard as well...
Old February 10th 10, 02:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10 Feb 2010 15:24:05 GMT
Adrian wrote:
Apart from it almost certainly being galvanised, I was referring to hull

I doubt standard road vehicle galvanisation would cope with constant immersion
in brackish water.

B2003

Old February 10th 10, 03:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

cph wrote:

We have those duck tours here in the States too. But this looks like a
real bus, instead of a boat with wheels...

Boats are designed to be efficient in water - making boats that are shaped
like buses is not a forward step.

I wonder if/when it goes into passenger service, there would need to
be life jackets aboard as well...

I would be surprised if it was even being tested without them.

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

Old February 10th 10, 03:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Basil Jet" wrote in message

cph wrote:

We have those duck tours here in the States too. But this looks like
a real bus, instead of a boat with wheels...

Boats are designed to be efficient in water - making boats that are
shaped like buses is not a forward step.

I wonder if/when it goes into passenger service, there would need to
be life jackets aboard as well...

I would be surprised if it was even being tested without them.

Yes, under every seat I believe.