Old February 9th 10, 01:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Amfibus

How cool is this!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8506154.stm

The Clyde is 100-150 metres wide where they are using it, which is
comparable with the Thames at Battersea.

There must be places in London where some of these could run - and if they
had a few unused at the weekend, they might be able to run Jubilee Line
replacement services in East London, which they can't at the moment. But I
don't know if the slipways are in the appropriate places.

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

Old February 9th 10, 02:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 9, 2:44*pm, "Basil Jet"
wrote:
How cool is this!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8506154.stm

The Clyde is 100-150 metres wide where they are using it, which is
comparable with the Thames at Battersea.

There must be places in London where some of these could run - and if they
had a few unused at the weekend, they might be able to run Jubilee Line
replacement services in East London, which they can't at the moment. But I
don't know if the slipways are in the appropriate places.

Saw that a bit earlier too - cool indeed! And likewise, I also
pondered possible applications of it in London.

Of course there is already an amphibious bus service of sorts in
London already - but it's no good for getting anywhere as it's
circular - it being the Duck Tour, which splashes into and exits from
the Thames using a slipway immediately adjacent to the MI6 building in
Vauxhall.

Not long before Boris latches on to it, I'm sure.
Old February 9th 10, 02:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:

Of course there is already an amphibious bus service of sorts in
London already - but it's no good for getting anywhere as it's
circular - it being the Duck Tour, which splashes into and exits from
the Thames using a slipway immediately adjacent to the MI6 building in
Vauxhall.

I thoought of that just after posting... with all these things, economics is
everything... if this thing is cheaper to fuel, buy and maintain than the
Duck, it makes all the difference for running a service which is included in
the Travelcard scheme. Something like Barking - Bexleyheath or Romford -
Bexleyheath.

PS, I left the typo in because I thought it looked a bit Dutch ;-)

BTW, TFL website seems to have got rid of the bus maps - *******s!

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

Old February 9th 10, 02:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Hiding at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaro...usdiagrams.asp
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change jealous to sad to reply.

Old February 9th 10, 02:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Steve Dulieu" wrote in message
om...

"Basil Jet" wrote in message

BTW, TFL website seems to have got rid of the bus maps - *******s!

Hiding at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaro...usdiagrams.asp

....And they've updated the buggers as well!

Old February 9th 10, 04:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve Dulieu wrote:
"Basil Jet" wrote in message

BTW, TFL website seems to have got rid of the bus maps - *******s!

Hiding at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaro...usdiagrams.asp

Thanks!

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

Old February 10th 10, 12:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Steve Dulieu) wrote:

"Steve Dulieu" wrote in message
om...

"Basil Jet" wrote in
message ...

BTW, TFL website seems to have got rid of the bus maps - *******s!

Hiding at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaro...usdiagrams.asp

...And they've updated the buggers as well!

Up to a point, Lord Copper!

Try finding out if the 10 (or N10) still runs from Putney at night. I used
it to get to Euston last year but the January 2010 dated Night Buses from
Putney map doesn't have it (or an alternative beyond Warren St) while the
Night buses including 24-hour routes serving south west London map has the
N10 to King's Cross but is dated July 2009. The Night buses from Euston
map, also dated January 2010, has the 10 but only going as far as
Hammersmith.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old February 10th 10, 09:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 9 Feb, 14:44, "Basil Jet"
wrote:
How cool is this!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8506154.stm

Very cool! When the video starts it really looks as if the bus is
going to continue straight to the bottom of the river!

It looks like the closing scene of The Sandwich Man with Michael
Bentine.
Old February 10th 10, 09:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 02:02:43 -0800 (PST)
Offramp wrote:
On 9 Feb, 14:44, "Basil Jet"
wrote:
How cool is this!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8506154.stm

Very cool! When the video starts it really looks as if the bus is
going to continue straight to the bottom of the river!

It looks like the closing scene of The Sandwich Man with Michael
Bentine.

Only a bus company could be daft enough to seriously consider that thing as a
replacement for a ferry.

B2003