Old February 9th 10, 05:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Fig Fig is offline

Default pronounciation - Brondesbury

How do you pronounce Brondesbury?

When I lived nearby in Willesden Green, I always pronounced it
'Brondz-bury' but today heard a LO recorded announcement stating the train
would call at 'Bron-des-bury'

--
Fig

Old February 9th 10, 08:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Fig wrote:
How do you pronounce Brondesbury?

When I lived nearby in Willesden Green, I always pronounced it
'Brondz-bury' but today heard a LO recorded announcement stating the
train would call at 'Bron-des-bury'

As you do.

BTW, though - it's pronunciation, not pronounciation. ;-)

Old February 9th 10, 09:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Jack Taylor wrote:
Fig wrote:
How do you pronounce Brondesbury?

When I lived nearby in Willesden Green, I always pronounced it
'Brondz-bury' but today heard a LO recorded announcement stating the
train would call at 'Bron-des-bury'

As you do.

There's a pub near Brondesbury station called "The Brondes Age"...

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

Old February 10th 10, 10:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Brown - dess - bureau - why

Old February 10th 10, 05:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Fig Fig is offline

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 21:10:03 -0000, Jack Taylor wrote:

Fig wrote:
How do you pronounce Brondesbury?

When I lived nearby in Willesden Green, I always pronounced it
'Brondz-bury' but today heard a LO recorded announcement stating the
train would call at 'Bron-des-bury'

As you do.

BTW, though - it's pronunciation, not pronounciation. ;-)

Thank you. And thank you for correcting my spelling. Trust English to
allow an 'o' to go astray, just because you elongate a word. (Assuming I'm
spelling 'pronounce' correctly. I'm obviously better at talking than
writing ;-)

--
Fig
Old February 10th 10, 05:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Fig Fig is offline

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 08:34:30 -0000, wrote:

I am also from Willesden and still know several people from
Brondesbury, all of whom say it the samje way as you do.

Thank you. Listening again this morning, the LO announcement is more like
'bron-dess-bree'. Sounds awful.

--
Fig