Old May 24th 07, 06:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Brondesbury Fox

I had a bit of a twilight zone moment at Brondesbury Park station on the
DrossLink North London line Monday night..

It was about 5:30 and about 5 or 6 of us were waiting for the train to
Stratford, when a large grey Fox came up the tracks. I heard the woman
at the end of the platform gasp as the fox headed up the ramp and along
the platform. It just walked along giving us the once over, possibly
hoping for food. It had the most friendly and contented face I've seen
an animal and not worried about us at all. The woman next to me on the
other hand was trying to back herself through the fence :-)

After a minute or so the Fox headed back up the line. crossed to the
South side and went into the track side shrubbery.

One of those nice moments in a big City when you realise we're not the
only intelligent mammals occupying it.

--
Edward Cowling "Time Fly's Like an Arrow.
Fruit Flies Like A Bannana."

Old May 24th 07, 10:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Edward Cowling London UK" wrote in message
[...]

Saw a whole family at Yeovil Pen Mill last weekend - 4 cubs. While I
recognise the "Ah" moment they are, as far as I'm concerned, oversized
vermin and should be treated as such.

Old May 25th 07, 10:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Graham Harrison" t yped

Saw a whole family at Yeovil Pen Mill last weekend - 4 cubs. While I
recognise the "Ah" moment they are, as far as I'm concerned, oversized
vermin and should be treated as such.

I had a whole family of red foxes (adult and four cubs) play for half an
hour in my back garden one evening. I am half a mile from Burnt Oak and
3/4 mile from Queensbury stations.

I'm not sure if they really are vermin; something's got to eat the HUGE
pigeons which clear discarded takeaway food from the area so
efficiently...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old May 26th 07, 04:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 24 May 2007 23:17:49 +0100, Graham Harrison wrote:

While I
recognise the "Ah" moment they are, as far as I'm concerned, oversized
vermin and should be treated as such.

Are they dangerous or do they do much damage?

--
jhk
Old May 26th 07, 05:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Jarle H Knudsen
writes
On Thu, 24 May 2007 23:17:49 +0100, Graham Harrison wrote:

While I
recognise the "Ah" moment they are, as far as I'm concerned, oversized
vermin and should be treated as such.

Are they dangerous or do they do much damage?

I think they're desimating the domestic cat population, so even though I
have nothing against them I can see where they may be called vermin by
some.

Old May 26th 07, 06:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jarle H Knudsen" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 May 2007 23:17:49 +0100, Graham Harrison wrote:

While I
recognise the "Ah" moment they are, as far as I'm concerned, oversized
vermin and should be treated as such.

Are they dangerous or do they do much damage?

--
jhk

In my view, the answer to both questions is "yes". But maybe this isn't
the right newsgroup for such a discussion. I suspect we'd get a long way
off topic.

Old May 26th 07, 06:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Edward Cowling London UK wrote:
In message , Jarle H
Knudsen writes
On Thu, 24 May 2007 23:17:49 +0100, Graham Harrison wrote:

While I
recognise the "Ah" moment they are, as far as I'm concerned,
oversized vermin and should be treated as such.

Are they dangerous or do they do much damage?

I think they're desimating the domestic cat population,

I doubt it (and it's "decimating" by the way). The London Wildlife
Trust (wildlondon.org.uk) say about foxes that "most encounters with
other large animals, such as cats, result in the two animals ignoring
each other, or the cat coming off best. They are only a threat to small
family pets such as rabbits."

They can damage gardens by digging lairs in them, though. The local
council don't classify them as vermin, so you have a fox family
colonising your garden, you can't get the council's help to evict them.
--
Richard J.

Old May 26th 07, 10:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:
Edward Cowling London UK wrote:
In message , Jarle H
Knudsen writes
On Thu, 24 May 2007 23:17:49 +0100, Graham Harrison wrote:

While I
recognise the "Ah" moment they are, as far as I'm concerned,
oversized vermin and should be treated as such.

Are they dangerous or do they do much damage?

I think they're desimating the domestic cat population,

I doubt it (and it's "decimating" by the way). The London Wildlife
Trust (wildlondon.org.uk) say about foxes that "most encounters with
other large animals, such as cats, result in the two animals ignoring
each other, or the cat coming off best. They are only a threat to small
family pets such as rabbits."

Likewise, I've never seen a fox come off better than a cat in London.
The fox usually legs it as soon as the cat decides to actually enforce
its territory.

However, if you've ever heard a female fox screeching in the night, it
does sound a bit like you'd imagine a cat being savaged to sound.
Old May 27th 07, 09:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Edward Cowling London UK wrote:
"Time Fly's Like an Arrow.
Fruit Flies Like A Bannana."

What are you on about? The whole reason it's funny is that the word is
flies in both sentences.

Colin McKenzie

.... whose fruit flies also like peppermints, chocolate, and jam.

Old May 27th 07, 11:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Colin
McKenzie writes
Edward Cowling London UK wrote:
"Time Fly's Like an Arrow.
Fruit Flies Like A Bannana."

What are you on about? The whole reason it's funny is that the word is
flies in both sentences.

Just goes to show your Mum was wrong. You can read and you can
concentrate on something for more than 5 seconds :-)

Get rd of the awful rash and there's hope for you yet.