London Banter

-   -   moorgate - bedford platforms - ceiling (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/10462-moorgate-bedford-platforms-ceiling.html)

lonelytraveller February 14th 10 12:48 PM

moorgate - hertford platforms - ceiling

On 14 Feb, 12:09, wrote:
In article
,

(lonelytraveller) wrote:
On 14 Feb, 11:19, wrote:
In article

,

(lonelytraveller) wrote:
On 13 Feb, 15:30, "Peter Lawrence" wrote:
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 17:34:42 -0800 (PST), lonelytraveller

wrote:
Why is there a door in the ceiling at the south end of platform
10 at moorgate (behind that cage thing) ?

Was that originally a vent for diesel fumes?

I thought that line was always electric?

Not if you mean the Metropolitan Widened Lines.

No, I mean the ones that go to Finsbury Park. The one marked platform
10, in fact.

I wasn't clear what the Moorgate numbering scheme, especially as these
things change over the years. What are now the FCC platforms were the GNC
and not Metropolitan ones at the outset.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

It can be a bit confusing, can't it. Platforms 9 & 10 are one of those
rare cases where the platform is actually visibly numbered on the
platform.

Platform 10 is the one on the right when you descend the escalators.
Its also the only one with a cage-thing at the end.

[email protected] February 14th 10 02:31 PM

moorgate - hertford platforms - ceiling

In article
,
(lonelytraveller) wrote:

On 14 Feb, 12:09, wrote:
In article

,

(lonelytraveller) wrote:
On 14 Feb, 11:19, wrote:
In article

,

(lonelytraveller)

wrote:
Why is there a door in the ceiling at the south end of
platform 10 at moorgate (behind that cage thing) ?

Was that originally a vent for diesel fumes?

I thought that line was always electric?

Not if you mean the Metropolitan Widened Lines.

No, I mean the ones that go to Finsbury Park. The one marked
platform 10, in fact.

I wasn't clear what the Moorgate numbering scheme, especially as these
things change over the years. What are now the FCC platforms were the
GNC and not Metropolitan ones at the outset.

It can be a bit confusing, can't it. Platforms 9 & 10 are one of those
rare cases where the platform is actually visibly numbered on the
platform.

Platform 10 is the one on the right when you descend the escalators.
Its also the only one with a cage-thing at the end.

The over-run tunnel arrangements at Moorgate GNC were different. IIRC the
longer overrun was the platform 9 one where the 1975 crash occurred. I'm
not sure what they did to them after that.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Clive February 14th 10 03:43 PM

moorgate - bedford platforms - ceiling

In message ,
writes
I wasn't clear what the Moorgate numbering scheme, especially as these
things change over the years. What are now the FCC platforms were the GNC
and not Metropolitan ones at the outset.

Has this any connection to the Northern City Line? As was.
--
Clive

lonelytraveller February 14th 10 04:04 PM

moorgate - bedford platforms - ceiling

On 14 Feb, 16:43, Clive wrote:
In message ,
writesI wasn't clear what the Moorgate numbering scheme, especially as these
things change over the years. What are now the FCC platforms were the GNC
and not Metropolitan ones at the outset.

Has this any connection to the Northern City Line? * As was.
--
Clive

yes, its the would-be-southbound platform - the headwall at the south
end

Paul Terry[_2_] February 14th 10 04:18 PM

moorgate - bedford platforms - ceiling

In message , Clive
writes

In message ,
writes

I wasn't clear what the Moorgate numbering scheme, especially as these
things change over the years. What are now the FCC platforms were the GNC
and not Metropolitan ones at the outset.

Has this any connection to the Northern City Line? As was.

Yes: originally the Great Northern and City Railway, opened in 1904.
Purchased by the Metropolitan Railway in 1913, transferred to London
Underground in 1933, lost its potential moment of glory when the
Northern Heights project for the Northern line was abandoned after the
war, cut back from Finsbury Park to Drayton Park in 1964 to allow for
the Victoria line, renamed as the Highbury branch of the Northern line
in 1970, transferred to British Rail who made a new connection to the
surface lines at Finsbury Park in the 1970s and now part of the FCC
network.

Although seemingly much unloved over the years, it's now back to
fulfilling its original intended purpose of easing congestion at King's
Cross by running commuter services down to a more convenient city
station at Moorgate.
--
Paul Terry

Keerde February 15th 10 09:39 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Scott (Post 104443)

I've included the plans of the platforms and passageways from 1904 to the lift & staircase for the GN & C, but no sign of any extra passageway from the door, even on a later plan from around 1950 that I have.
Station Plan 3 & 4 shows the GN & C Layout.
Station Plan 18 Shows the City & South London from the 1950s.