Old March 4th 10, 05:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default What is the 969 bus for?

Waiting at a bus stop a while ago, I noticed the timetable for the 969.
Whitton - Roehampton, Tuesdays and Fridays only, one journey.

Why? It even has a Facebook group commenting on its infrequency.

Given the absence of such strategically vital bus links as the N213,
presumably there is a really good reason for the 969 to exist - but what
is it?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Old March 4th 10, 05:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 04/03/2010 18:17, Arthur Figgis wrote:
Waiting at a bus stop a while ago, I noticed the timetable for the 969.
Whitton - Roehampton, Tuesdays and Fridays only, one journey.

Why? It even has a Facebook group commenting on its infrequency.

Given the absence of such strategically vital bus links as the N213,
presumably there is a really good reason for the 969 to exist - but what
is it?

It's one of the handful of remaining "Mobility Bus" routes, which have
now been mostly phased out following the introduction of "low floor"
buses on most routes.

According to Wikipedia[1] the remaining eight routes a

917 - Park Hill Rise to Croydon (WO)
931 - Crystal Palace to Lewisham (FO)
941 - Bedfont Green to Hampton Hill (WO)
953 - Scrattons Farm to Chase Cross (WO)
958 - Woodford to Ilford (TO)
965 - Riverhill to Kingston (MFO)
969 - Whitton to Roehampton Vale (TFO)
972 - Neasden to Colindale (ThO)

HTH,

Barry

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bus_routes_in_London
Old March 4th 10, 06:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 04/03/2010 18:39, Barry Salter wrote:
On 04/03/2010 18:17, Arthur Figgis wrote:
Waiting at a bus stop a while ago, I noticed the timetable for the 969.
Whitton - Roehampton, Tuesdays and Fridays only, one journey.

Why? It even has a Facebook group commenting on its infrequency.

Given the absence of such strategically vital bus links as the N213,
presumably there is a really good reason for the 969 to exist - but what
is it?

It's one of the handful of remaining "Mobility Bus" routes, which have
now been mostly phased out following the introduction of "low floor"
buses on most routes.

So is there a specific need for wheelchairs (is that what it in effect
means?) to use that route on those days?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old March 4th 10, 06:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Arthur
Figgis writes

Given the absence of such strategically vital bus links as the N213,
presumably there is a really good reason for the 969 to exist - but
what is it?

As said by Barry, it is a remnant of the mobility bus network. FWIW, it
passes the end of my road on its infrequent visits, and I don't think
I've ever seen anybody on board.

I think I might sound like Margaret Thatcher on the Chelsea-Hackney line
if I asked why anyone from Whitton should ever want to go to Asda in
Putney Vale.
--
Paul Terry
Old March 4th 10, 07:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Barry Salter" wrote in message
[...]

I don't really see the point of these routes - surely the Dial-A-Ride
service would cover these journeys and would be a lot more flexible.

Peter Smyth

Old March 4th 10, 08:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
says...

[...]

The 958 basically allows a visit to Ilford of just over an hour, or
possibly the City of London crematorium.

It passes one location in Arran Drive where the mobility-impaired are
likely to use it, and is hail-and-ride in this area, also a small area
in Woodford.

When Metroline operated the route it used Optare Solos OSL1 or OSL2.

Since First Group won the contract it uses common or garden Darts

Any one can use it, I once did to travel on one of the Solos.
Old March 4th 10, 09:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Jim wrote:

It passes one location in Arran Drive where the mobility-impaired are
likely to use it, and is hail-and-ride in this area, also a small area
in Woodford.

A hail-and-ride mobility bus! How would wheelchairs access the bus in a road
full of parked cars?

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

Old March 4th 10, 10:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 4, 10:11*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 18:17:38 +0000, Arthur Figgis
wrote:
Waiting at a bus stop a while ago, I noticed the timetable for the 969.
Whitton - Roehampton, Tuesdays and Fridays only, one journey.

Why? It even has a Facebook group commenting on its infrequency.

It's a mobility bus route along with a small number of other such
routes.

Facebook will just be a whingeing brigade. If they shout too loudly the
route will go completely. The mobility bus network has been
progressively reduced over the years as low floor vehicles have been
purchased for the main routes.

Given the absence of such strategically vital bus links as the N213,
presumably there is a really good reason for the 969 to exist - but what
is it?

I think the basic argument is that the remaining routes do provide
unique network links to town centres or stores from locations where
there are numbers of older / mobility impaired people who would struggle
with a conventional bus route or where there is simply not the demand
for a regular route. *I suspect that the people for whom these routes
run do not qualify for dial a ride so it is very much a niche market. I
recall seeing an article about the 953 where the users said they very
much appreciated the service and, of course, wanted it to be more
frequent. They'll be doing well to retain it.

The performance of Dial a Ride is the subject of repeated questions from
London Assembly Members. There have been widespread complaints about
poor booking procedures and declining service for months and months. I
doubt anyone wants to add to the burden of trying to get it running
properly.

In a fantasy version of TfL's bus network (London Bus Game) that I take
part in all of these routes have been turned into "Community Connect"
routes which offer an hourly or two hourly frequency on M-S using small
vehicles. *Naturally in a fantasy world the financial strictures are not
as bad as the real world!

"London Bus Game" - like SimCity, albeit SimBusNetwork. Wow, there's
always something else out there to surprise one!

Nice to see the Figgis campaign for the N213 carries on. I think people
need to appreciate that if TfL are happy to cut buses left, right and
centre on Oxford Street and break a number of network links in so doing
then there won't be much compunction about Mobility Buses disappearing
when the need for more savings arises. *Oh and I don't see the N213 ever
returning.

Is (the real world) Mr Figgis is actually involved in the real world
campaign? (I dare say it was meant as a figure of speech, but one
never knows.)
Old March 4th 10, 10:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote on 04 March
2010 22:21:27 ...
Jim wrote:
It passes one location in Arran Drive where the mobility-impaired are
likely to use it, and is hail-and-ride in this area, also a small area
in Woodford.

A hail-and-ride mobility bus! How would wheelchairs access the bus in a road
full of parked cars?

Not much chance of that situation arising in Arran Drive, based on what
Google Street View shows.
--
Richard J.
Old March 5th 10, 07:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
[...]

Well yes but it has run for many years in differing forms. There have
been some very interesting route and vehicle developments during the
various rounds. My "company" has done pretty well in terms of tender
successes.

Nice to see the Figgis campaign for the N213 carries on. I think people
need to appreciate that if TfL are happy to cut buses left, right and
centre on Oxford Street and break a number of network links in so doing
then there won't be much compunction about Mobility Buses disappearing
when the need for more savings arises. *Oh and I don't see the N213 ever
returning.

Is (the real world) Mr Figgis is actually involved in the real world
campaign? (I dare say it was meant as a figure of speech, but one
never knows.)

I don't know if he was involved in the Facebook campaign that sprang
up but he was certainly very vocal about the withdrawal of the night
service in to Croydon and has continued to mention the loss of the
route at regular intervals.
--
Paul C
via Google