Old March 5th 10, 03:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Another bus oddity: 812

The other day I needed to reach the Old Street area and noticed on the
London Central Bus map leaflet the 812, which might have been useful.

But the leaflet says about the 812:
"Valid Freedom Passes can be used on this service (Bus Passes,
Travelcards, Oystercards and Saver Tickets are not accepted)."

By Bus Passes I assume it means the National Bus Pass for the over-60s
and handicapped. I thought that all scheduled short-distance services
were required to accept these, whatever the operator? If this service
accepts the TfL Freedom Pass but not these (which are the equivalent
issued outside London), then it's a real curiosity.

--
Clive Page

Old March 5th 10, 05:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Clive Page
writes

The other day I needed to reach the Old Street area and noticed on the
London Central Bus map leaflet the 812, which might have been useful.

But the leaflet says about the 812:
"Valid Freedom Passes can be used on this service (Bus Passes,
Travelcards, Oystercards and Saver Tickets are not accepted)."

By Bus Passes I assume it means the National Bus Pass for the over-60s
and handicapped. I thought that all scheduled short-distance services
were required to accept these, whatever the operator? If this service
accepts the TfL Freedom Pass but not these (which are the equivalent
issued outside London), then it's a real curiosity.

It's a service run by Hackney Community Transport on behalf of Islington
Council, and was originally only for people with limited mobility. More
recently they've opened it to the general public, who are charged a £1
cash fare, but they have also chosen to accept Freedom Passes (and offer
free travel to students aged 16 and under).

You raise an interesting point about the National Bus Pass - I suspect
that now the service is "public" they are obliged to accept it, but
either haven't realised or haven't got round to changing their
publicity.
--
Paul Terry
Old March 5th 10, 05:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 5, 4:38*pm, Clive Page wrote:
The other day I needed to reach the Old Street area and noticed on the
London Central Bus map leaflet the 812, which might have been useful.

It's run by HCT, and contracted by Islington and Hackney councils -
not TfL.
There are some details at http://www.hctgroup.org/index.php?sectionid=95
and Wikipedia has a picture of one in all its yellow glory at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plus_Bus_route_812
Old March 5th 10, 05:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
,
martin writes

It's run by HCT, and contracted by Islington and Hackney councils -
not TfL.

Hackney Community Transport's logo is amusing ...
http://www.hackneyct.org/logo1.gif

I always thought it represented the longest way to get from A to B, but
a friend tells me that it is a subtly disguised hammer and sickle ...

--
Paul Terry
Old March 5th 10, 05:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 5, 4:38*pm, Clive Page wrote:
The other day I needed to reach the Old Street area and noticed on the
London Central Bus map leaflet the 812, which might have been useful.

Route 812 is jointly funded by Hackney and Islington councils, and is
operated by CT Plus (aka Hackney Community Transport) - see:
http://www.hctgroup.org/index.php?sectionid=90

---quote---
Route 812 in East London

In 2007 we continued our long tradition of making public transport
available to all by launching two new special bus routes (812 and 816
in Islington and Hackney). The 816 route ran until 2 May 2008
whereupon it was discontinued due to a lack of funding. The 812
service continues to run and is endorsed by Hackney and Islington
Borough Councils. It is operated on a London Service Permit from
Transport for London.

The 812 service has full disabled access and covers areas of the
boroughs which are not well served by existing public transport.
---/quote---

Also see the above webpage for a route map and timetable.

But the leaflet says about the 812:
"Valid Freedom Passes can be used on this service (Bus Passes,
Travelcards, Oystercards and Saver Tickets are not accepted)."

By Bus Passes I assume it means the National Bus Pass for the over-60s
and handicapped. *I thought that all scheduled short-distance services
were required to accept these, whatever the operator? * If this service
accepts the TfL Freedom Pass but not these (which are the equivalent
issued outside London), then it's a real curiosity.

You assume wrong - that's simply referring to a normal *London* Bus
Pass, or in full TfL jargon a "Bus & Tram Pass".

The text you quote above is the standard spiel that appears on any TfL
produced timetables for bus or coach services that aren't part of the
London bus network - e.g. Green Line or Oxford Tube timetables. (The
deal appears to be that if timetables are to be displayed at stops in
London, that's fine, but TfL - as opposed to the operator - will
produce and display said timetables.)

Here we go - the PDF of the timetable (in TfL style) is on the HCT
website he
http://www.hctgroup.org/_uploaded/Fi...0timetable.pdf

On this version at least, it says:
---quote---
TfL Bus Passes, Travelcards, Oyster Cards and Saver Tickets are NOT
accepted on this service.
Cash fares may differ from those charged on other local bus services.
---/quote---

The ENCTS bus pass (aka English national bus pass) will be valid on
the 812 service - there's no choice in the matter, it has to be.

Old March 5th 10, 05:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 5, 6:44*pm, Paul Terry wrote:

martin writes

It's run by HCT, and contracted by Islington and Hackney councils -
not TfL.

Hackney Community Transport's logo is amusing ...
http://www.hackneyct.org/logo1.gif

I always thought it represented the longest way to get from A to B, but
a friend tells me that it is a subtly disguised hammer and sickle ...

Well you get from A to B via C of course... where C is Hackney
*C*ommunity Transport!

I've got a lot of time for so-called 'social enterprises' such as HCT.
I've heard good things about them. I understand that they are very
open w.r.t. their accounts and activities.
Old March 5th 10, 09:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 05/03/2010 18:44, Paul Terry wrote:
In message
,
martin writes

It's run by HCT, and contracted by Islington and Hackney councils -
not TfL.

Hackney Community Transport's logo is amusing ...
http://www.hackneyct.org/logo1.gif

I always thought it represented the longest way to get from A to B, but
a friend tells me that it is a subtly disguised hammer and sickle ...

Well, Hackney's where communists initially got together. IIRC, that's
where they hatched their plans for the October Revolution in Russia.
Old March 5th 10, 10:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 5, 4:38*pm, Clive Page wrote:

By Bus Passes I assume it means the National Bus Pass for the over-60s
and handicapped. *

I would assume it meant purchased TfL bus passes. I don't see why
national concessionary passes wouldn't be valid, especially as Freedom
Passes are most probably valid on that basis, given that it is not a
TfL bus service.

Neil

Old March 8th 10, 10:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 06:35:09PM +0000, Paul Terry wrote:
In message , Clive Page
writes
But the leaflet says about the 812:
"Valid Freedom Passes can be used on this service (Bus Passes,
Travelcards, Oystercards and Saver Tickets are not accepted)."
By Bus Passes I assume it means the National Bus Pass for the over-60s

You raise an interesting point about the National Bus Pass - I suspect
that now the service is "public" they are obliged to accept it, but
either haven't realised or haven't got round to changing their
publicity.

I would think that it means the bus passes that anyone can buy:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresa...ets/10432.aspx

--
David Cantrell | Official London Perl Mongers Bad Influence

All praise the Sun God
For He is a Fun God
Ra Ra Ra!