Old January 13th 05, 03:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Zac Zac is offline

Default Another Fare Oddity

I was making a journey last week from Tottenham Hale to Stansted
Mountfitchet.

As I had a Z1234 travelcard, I asked for it to start from Boundary Zone 4.
One WA Ticket Machine Operative in the LU gave me the said ticket.

I then had a playaround on the Ticket Machine by Platform 1, and found it
was cheaper to get a ticket from Tottenham Hale, rather than Bound. Zone 4.

Any ideas why it is cheaper ?

Old January 13th 05, 07:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 16:11:56 +0000 (UTC), "Zac"
wrote:

I was making a journey last week from Tottenham Hale to Stansted
Mountfitchet.

As I had a Z1234 travelcard, I asked for it to start from Boundary Zone 4.
One WA Ticket Machine Operative in the LU gave me the said ticket.

I then had a playaround on the Ticket Machine by Platform 1, and found it
was cheaper to get a ticket from Tottenham Hale, rather than Bound. Zone 4.

Any ideas why it is cheaper ?

Possibly because, if such a service exists, you'd be able to travel
from anywhere in those Zones to Stansted without the train having to
stop at the boundary.

Failing that, just yet another fares anomaly.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain
Old January 15th 05, 11:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

--- Zac said...

I was making a journey last week from Tottenham Hale to
Stansted Mountfitchet. (*SNIP*) it was cheaper to get a
ticket from Tottenham Hale, rather than Bound. Zone 4.

Any ideas why it is cheaper ?

Starting from Boundary Z4 gives you the choice of either the Tottenham
Hale line or the Seven Sisters line (changing if necessary). You pay
extra for the flexibility. (You *might* even be able to go from the
Kings Cross line and change at Cambridge, depending on the small print
of the routing guide. Where are the group's routing experts when we
need them?)

But if you've got a point-to-point ticket from Tottenham Hale, you can
only go from Tottenham Hale. No extra flexibility, so no extra charge
for it. Yet more proof (yes, proof, I tell you) that Zones are just an
evil con to make you pay more for flexibility that you don't need.
Abolish them, and it'll all be a lot simpler and a lot cheaper.

Old January 16th 05, 12:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

--- Colin Rosenstiel said...

In article ,
(Zac) wrote:

Any ideas why it is cheaper ?

Possibly because it's a fare set by "one".

No. IIRC there are similar oddities on fares to Faversham and places
like that, where Boundary tickets can give you an unnecessary choice of
routes but cheaper point-to-point tickets don't.