Old March 6th 10, 02:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster travelcard oddity

Mrs. F. and I had to travel from Clapham Junction to Twickenham last night.
She has a Z1-3 monthly Travelcard on her Oyster, along with a few quid of
PAYG.

Neither of us remembered that you're meant to get a whatever-it's-called
(OEP?) to cover her to Twickenham (Z5), but when she put her card on the
reader at Twickers it worked fine, deducting the difference from her PAYG
balance. The same happened on the way back.

Odd? Or has TfL realised that the extension permits are unworkable?

Ian

Old March 6th 10, 03:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 6 Mar, 15:51, "Ian F." wrote:
Mrs. F. and I had to travel from Clapham Junction to Twickenham last night.
She has a Z1-3 monthly Travelcard on her Oyster, along with a few quid of
PAYG.

Neither of us remembered that you're meant to get a whatever-it's-called
(OEP?) to cover her to Twickenham (Z5), but when she put her card on the
reader at Twickers it worked fine, deducting the difference from her PAYG
balance. The same happened on the way back.

Odd? Or has TfL realised that the extension permits are unworkable?

Ian

You don't need an OEP for the correct fare to be deducted. You only
need it if gripped on an NR train outside of your zones. Supposedly,
this is because you can't otherwise prove that you intend to pay for
the extension by touching out at the end.

By actually touching out at the end, you supersede any OEP requirement
by actually touching out and having the fare deducted.

So it's not really odd nor, unfortunately, a sign of OEPs being
abandoned. Which isn't to say they won't be.
Old March 6th 10, 05:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
p.homeip.net, Paul
Cummins writes

You don't need an OEP to Twickenham - it's within the Oyster area.

Being within the Oyster area is irrelevant. In fact OEPs have no
validity at all outside the Oyster area.

You only need an OEP if you have a non PAYG oyster and are travelling
outside your validity with it.

No. They are needed when travelling on National Rail and using PAYG to
go beyond the validity of an Oyster travelcard.

As has been pointed out, the correct fare will be charged on touching
out, even if there is no OEP, but the user is technically liable for a
penalty fare if their Oyster is gripped en route while outside of their
zones.

--
Paul Terry

Old March 7th 10, 11:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
p.homeip.net, at
11:44:00 on Sun, 7 Mar 2010, Paul Cummins
remarked:
No. They are needed when travelling on National Rail and using PAYG
to go beyond the validity of an Oyster travelcard.

That's curious - I use PAYG all the time when I'm Oystering, and have never once
been informed that my Oyster is invalid because I don't have an OEP on the way back
to St Margarets from Waterloo.

And I've been gripped a few times - they just ask me where I'm going.

Do you have a Travelcard on your Oyster that's valid to not further than
Zone 3 (St Margarets is in Zone 4).

The OEP is only required as a form of "permit to travel" (ahead of
paying when you exit) for your trip from the relevant Travelcard limit
(eg Putney, the furthest Z2 station) to St Margarets.
Old March 7th 10, 11:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 7 Mar, 12:09, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
p.homeip.net, at
11:44:00 on Sun, 7 Mar 2010, Paul Cummins
remarked:

No. They are needed when travelling on National Rail and using PAYG
to go beyond the validity of an Oyster travelcard.

That's curious - I use PAYG all the time when I'm Oystering, and have never once
been informed that my Oyster is invalid because I don't have an OEP on the way back
to St Margarets from Waterloo.

And I've been gripped a few times - they just ask me where I'm going.

Do you have a Travelcard on your Oyster that's valid to not further than
Zone 3 (St Margarets is in Zone 4).

The OEP is only required as a form of "permit to travel" (ahead of
paying when you exit) for your trip from the relevant Travelcard limit
(eg Putney, the furthest Z2 station) to St Margarets.

The total lack of logic with OEPs is demonstrated by the fact that if
you are gripped within the zones of your travelcard, there is no more
proof that you don't intend to go beyond your zones without touching
out than there would be if you were beyond your zones already. Nor
outside of the zones altogether.

No one with a valid ticket anywhere can prove that they don't intend
to travel to Thurso.
Old March 7th 10, 11:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
04:30:25 on Sun, 7 Mar 2010, MIG remarked:
[...]

But in my example, you only need the OEP if you are gripped between
Putney and St Margarets.

I don't agree with the scheme (and the way it's publicised), but in this
respect it's no different to having a Season to Putney, and in your
pocket a single from Putney to St Margarets, and needing to show
different things depending on whether you are gripped before or after
Putney.

The issue, of course, is people who don't touch out at St Margarets and
therefore get a free ride from Putney. It's a real problem, even if OEPs
are maybe the wrong solution.
Old March 7th 10, 11:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Roland Perry) wrote:

Do you have a Travelcard on your Oyster that's valid to not further
than Zone 3 (St Margarets is in Zone 4).

No, it's purely PAYG - no actual tickets on it at all.

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981