Old December 1st 03, 08:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Route 73 to be converted to Bendi Bus

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 20:49:31 +0000, Robert Woolley
wrote:

AFAIR, up to 10 passengers a year die from falling from the rear
platforms of Routemasters.

That's not a desirable feature of open platform operation....

Nor is the seat pitch (or the fact that you *have* to sit down -
sometimes I'd prefer to stand on a short journey). Or the cold in
winter. Or the slow boarding/alighting on a busy bus, and having to
fight your way to the back just like you do on single-doored
double-deckers which are thankfully rare in London (3 wide doors works
so much better than one narrow opening). Or the headroom, or lack
thereof.

They're an interesting curiosity, but I think the disadvantages by far
outweigh the advantages. Bring on the bendies, and perhaps some
quality full-size rigid single deckers like the RV1 Citaros rather
than that Dennis rubbish for other, quieter routes.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
is a valid email address, but is sent to /dev/null.

Old December 2nd 03, 12:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Robert Woolley) wrote:

AFAIR, up to 10 passengers a year die from falling from the rear
platforms of Routemasters.

Evidence? That sounds very high to me.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old December 2nd 03, 06:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 14:11:00 -0000, "Billy"
wrote:

Yes Colin this IS indeed a unique advantage but it is also one of the many
reasons for TfL`s insistance on retiring the breed.
The Routemaster remains a unique concept which rather than becoming less
relevant with the passage of time is actually bucking the trend.

pedant

As I understand it the Routemaster is a unique concept in many ways -
lightweight construction, advanced suspension, close collaboration
between London Transport and the manufacturers during development,
high standards of industrial design. But the layout with an open
platform at the back was surely the norm for British urban buses from
before 1900 until the 1960s. That's hardly a unique concept, though
the Routemasters must have outlived most other open-platform buses in
regular service by at least 20 years.

/pedant

as somebody will probably be along to challenge my last sentence

Martin