Old March 22nd 10, 10:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Heathrow T3 exit time

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 10:50:58 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
Not commonplace? Thats putting it mildly. I worked in the City for 10 years
and I never saw it even there.

You seem to have missed the "all over the world" part.

All of the companies I worked for in that time bar one were international
banks - mainly US.

Passport for proof of id when joining the
company? Sure. Passport to go to a meeting elsewhere? Do me a favour.

It's part of the "ID card culture" that is extremely commonplace in most
of the rest of the world.

Well whereever this "rest of the world" is I'm glad I don't work there.

I do visit high security locations from time to time, but an example of
an almost-public-building with a "leave your passport at the security
desk" rule is one of the bigger offices of the European Commission in
Brussels. eg the equivalent of somewhere like whatever the DTI's called
this week.

Well governmental buildings I can understand that level of security. But
for your average Plc its overkill.

Library of Congress (Washington). No such rule in the Palace of
Westminster - I could tell you about a building in London that does, but
then I'd have to kill you

OOoo , now where could that be? Does the victoria line stop there by any
chance?

B2003

Old March 22nd 10, 10:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 11:35:02 -0000
"Ian F." wrote:
wrote in message

I don't really care if you get run over by a bus but no doubt someone
would.

Well, maybe not.

Christ, you are one foul little oik, aren't you? Do grow up.

There there , someone will be along to pick up your toys and put them back
in your pram soon.

B2003

Old March 22nd 10, 12:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote in message

Certainly not. I know one French company that always insisted that I leave
my passport in reception in order to be allowed into their Paris office,
but their UK offices had no such requirement. In France, people routinely
carry photo ID, which is not the case in the UK.

Yup, that's certainly the case with two of my French clients. Doesn't bother
me in the slightest - it's their rule.

Ian

Old March 22nd 10, 01:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 22 Mar, 13:52, "Ian F." wrote:
"Recliner" wrote in message

Certainly not. I know one French company that always insisted that I leave
my passport in reception in order to be allowed into their Paris office,
but their UK offices had no such requirement. In France, people routinely
carry photo ID, which is not the case in the UK.

Yup, that's certainly the case with two of my French clients. Doesn't bother
me in the slightest - it's their rule.

Ian

But the French acceptance of photo ID is used as an argument for
accepting an electronic tag in the UK.

I have little problem with proving who I am when eg taking my money
out of my bank account, but I do object to my every movement and
purchase being tracked.

In France they have ID cards.

The plan for the UK is falsely referred to as ID cards and is nothing
of the sort.

The don't need a special project anyway. Once all purchases can be
done through smartcards and supermarkets offer "discounts" (because
the cash price of baked beans is £10), the database state will be up
and running.
Old March 22nd 10, 07:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 18:11:35 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

Terravision (what a great name!) just sell tickets for this service -
though seemingly they do enough business to operate a desk at Luton
airport, along with easyBus as well. Is there a Green Line desk as
well?

I think there is, yes.

However I can't think what the "some other brand" that you refer
to could be. Of course alongside all that NX sell tickets for it - as
you say they do so on-board easyJet flights (and maybe others?!), but
also from their website and presumably from all other NX coach ticket
outlets too.

The other brand is something Eastern European sounding in conjunction
with Wizz Air. I guess it's a similar arrangement to the tickets sold
on board easyJet being sold via Nat Ex.

Whilst one is almost tempted to wonder whether there might be some
sort of anti-competitive cartel going on w.r.t. the coach service
between Luton airport and London given that in reality there's only
one service the 757, but one then remembers that all the different
companies involved offer seats on said coach for differing prices - so
there's competition alright, it's just happening within the coach
itself!

This doesn't half seem ridiculous to me.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To reply put my first name before the at.
Old March 23rd 10, 01:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Whilst one is almost tempted to wonder whether there might be some
sort of anti-competitive cartel going on w.r.t. the coach service
between Luton airport and London given that in reality there's only
one service the 757, but one then remembers that all the different
companies involved offer seats on said coach for differing prices - so
there's competition alright, it's just happening within the coach
itself!

This doesn't half seem ridiculous to me.

Doesn't sound too different to the way the plane will have been booked if
it's a charter... X seats by Thomson, Y seats by Airtours, Z seats direct
with the airline, and then each of those will have been sold at a different
price with a different holiday. /And then/ agents are free to price those
holidays as they wish.

(Though I note that tour operators are more likely to run their own airlines
these days)

Theo
Old March 23rd 10, 03:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:59:31 on Mon, 22 Mar
2010, d remarked:

I don't like the idea of complete strangers who have no business doing
so being able to read my passport details?

If it's hotels (or airlines, obviously) they are required to do so by
local laws.