Old March 24th 10, 08:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Heathrow T3 exit time

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 16:13:10 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:59:31 on Mon, 22 Mar
2010, d remarked:

I don't like the idea of complete strangers who have no business doing
so being able to read my passport details?

If it's hotels (or airlines, obviously) they are required to do so by
local laws.

Which bit of "no business doing so" were you having trouble with?

B2003

Old March 24th 10, 09:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 22/03/2010 13:52, Ian F. wrote:
"Recliner" wrote in message

Certainly not. I know one French company that always insisted that I
leave my passport in reception in order to be allowed into their Paris
office, but their UK offices had no such requirement. In France,
people routinely carry photo ID, which is not the case in the UK.

Yup, that's certainly the case with two of my French clients. Doesn't
bother me in the slightest - it's their rule.

When at a foreign event with a local bigwig attending, I had a
"We need your British ID cards"
We don't have them, praise be to any available gods
"Ah. Erm, you're not a terrorist are you?"
Nope
"OK. This way."

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old March 25th 10, 06:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 24, 10:27*am, wrote:

Which bit of "no business doing so" were you having trouble with?

They clearly *do* have a business doing so according to the laws of
those countries. If you don't like that, don't go there.

Neil
Old March 25th 10, 08:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Neil Williams" wrote in message

They clearly *do* have a business doing so according to the laws of
those countries. If you don't like that, don't go there.

He clearly hasn't been anywhere of note if he's not had to give over his
passport details!

Ian

Old March 26th 10, 09:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 10:37:38 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
Urban myths about hackers lurking in passport control with a megawatt
antennae are of little interest to me.

To read RFID from a few feet away you're looking at a few watts. Hardly
a challenge for someone with electronics knowledge.

It was an "urban myth" that blackhats had cracked WEP a few years back with
profuse denials from all the vested interests. The encryption on DVDs was
apparently uncrackable too wasn't it? Oyster could never be hacked said
TfL. GSM had military strength encyrption so they said. Until it was
cracked.

History does tend to repeat itself where encryption is concerned doesn't it?

But you go ahead believing what the government and EU tells you about secure
passports if it makes you happy.

B2003