Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 25th 03, 07:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster Confusion

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 15:54:18 GMT, Thunderbug
wrote:

I'm confused between what Oyster can do, and what it will do.

I travel regularly but infrequently, so my pattern may be a Z1-6 daily
travelcard 4-5 days a month (though I've never worked out if it's
cheaper to buy anything else, if I leave early, I sometimes buy a Z6 -
1 single and then a Z1-6 travel card after 9.30 for my next trip). I'll
also perhaps buy a couple of returns inside Z6 or Z5 & 6 on a weekend.

It's not worth my while buying a monthly or weekly pass, so I think that
makes me a prime candidate for an Oyster Prepay. I'd like to be able to
load up a card with £100 and just tap the gate on entry to a station.
If I make two journeys I'd be charged two lots of Singles, if I make a
third, I'd like the Oyster card to make itself into a Travelcard.

Am I dreaming?

I have a similar travel pattern to yours - my journeys change on a day
to day basis and on any given day I have to decide whether it's more
economical to buy a one day travelcard (either off peak or full price
depending on the time my journey starts) or a straight single or
return ticket.

I have a question about what happens when the 2004 fare structure
comes in in January. The TfL site shows preferential rates (ie. held
at 2003 levels) for those who pre-pay on certain fares. The August
press release from TfL about 2004 fares, still the most recent I can
find on their website, says "by this time the "pre-pay" faciliy on the
new Oyster smartcard will be operational, allowing passengers to
charge their Oystercards with money before travelling". The same
press release refers to those who "choose" to pay by cash having to
pay more.

I wish I felt more confident that pre-paying via Oyster for single
journeys will be up and running by January 4th. The Oyster website
still says that tickets for less than 7 days are still on paper, but
"later, we'll be launching an exciting new pay-as-you-go product
exclusive to Oyster called Pre-Pay". Does "later" mean in 5 weeks
time, or are those of us whose journey patterns mean we need to buy a
daily ticket going to be penalised for not pre-paying without being
given the option to do so?
Perhaps the printed fares leaflet for January will shed more light.
Does anyone know when it's due to be available to the public? ISTR
this time last year the on line version of it was already loaded on
the TfL website - this year I can only find a table of *proposed*
fares for 2004 linked from the August press release. Have I missed
something here?
Jill