Old December 2nd 03, 01:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster Confusion

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 14:08:11 +0000, Jason
wrote:

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 09:03:25 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote:

Christine typed

It is fun watching the frustration on several Oyster Card users, when
their card won't operate through their handbag or wallet and they have
to get the card out to operate the gates!!!! I'll stick with my
annual season ticket.

Yebbut you can't laugh long. You'll *have* to get an Oyster when your
ticket comes up for renewal.

Even if it's purchased from a National Rail station?

What if you get a Special Privilege Season like I do, that has to
have authority before purchasing, can't see them giving me an Oyster
card!

Life without sex just isn't life.
Make love not war!

Old December 2nd 03, 07:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 12:24:58 +0000, Jason
wrote:

The OysterCard Helpline told me that the value of single journey would
be deducted (and where no 'exit' is recorded a Z1-6 fare) on a journey
by journey basis - i.e. there wouldn't be caps through the day - and
overnight the system would update to adjust to the appropriate
Travelcard fare if this was cheaper.

Obviously I can't vouch for the accuracy of this information!

This makes some kind of sense. Unless you put the logic into the
ticket machines/barriers to calculate the appropriate fare for the day
(with both peak and off-peak travelcards this isn't as straightforward
as it sounds), it will be necessary to feed back the journey log from
the barriers[1], make the calculation and re-credit at the next
barrier encountered (a home station?). This could only realistically
be a batch job.

Thinking about it, with the journey log on the card, and limited
communication with buses, the implementation of such a scheme isn't
quite as simple as it sounds!

[1] This may be why buses are excluded - linking back to the base to
show the number of journeys undertaken for such a calculation using
only limited-capacity Wayfarer modules would seem to be a bit
difficult.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
is a valid email address, but is sent to /dev/null.
Old December 2nd 03, 10:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

I'm under the hopeful impression that the "bus ban" on Prepay is
temporary... the website says: "For the time being, Pre Pay is only
available for use on the Tubes and DLR. It will soon be available on
buses and Tramlink as well."

The preliminary 2004 Fares information released some time ago also said
that a Saver and a "Pre Pay Ride" would both be 70p.

I hope it won't be too long before it's ready for use with buses,
because one of the aims of the Prepay is to make life easy for
occasional PT users, at which the Carnet and Saver are aimed...

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old December 2nd 03, 10:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Even if it's purchased from a National Rail station?

What if you get a Special Privilege Season like I do, that has to
have authority before purchasing, can't see them giving me an Oyster
card!

Which leads me onto my particular Oyster problem. Say I renew my Zones
1-3 Travelcard with South Eastern Trains next week, which will be
cheaper than a brand new Travelcard bought through Oyster because I'll
get 5% off because of Connex/SET's poor performance. Because National
Rail isn't issuing Oystercards, I'll get a old-style paper ticket.

But say I want to use a pre-paid Oyster to cover an excess journey to
Heathrow, which would start off with my old-style travelcard? It
sounds as if I'd have to jump out at the zonal boundary, tap my Oyster
card on the ticket gate, and then run back onto the train again.
Curious.

Darryl
Old December 3rd 03, 08:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2 Dec 2003 15:54:15 -0800, Darryl Chamberlain wrote:
But say I want to use a pre-paid Oyster to cover an excess journey to
Heathrow, which would start off with my old-style travelcard? It
sounds as if I'd have to jump out at the zonal boundary, tap my Oyster
card on the ticket gate, and then run back onto the train again.
Curious.

Or use your pre-pay oyster to buy a zone extension ticket before
you start your journey as now.

David

Old December 7th 03, 01:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Christine" wrote in message

Via Moorgate, there are Oyster/carnet validation posts
between the National Rail and Northern Lines, however these always
show closed on them.

As pre-pay hasn't offically started, the Oyster validators are closed.
Hopefully, we'll get a dignitry (Kat - can you ask GT? ;-)) down to tap them
with a plastic bottle of lemonade (the HMRI / PPP owners would have a fit if
we hit them with a bottle and if it was alcohol we'd all be instantly
sacked)

What happens if you travel by tube with out
validating your journey?

You get charged £3.20 and have to spend an hour listening to a lovely
message on the Oystercard help desk...

Old December 7th 03, 02:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , Robin Mayes
writes

"Christine" wrote in message
.. .

Via Moorgate, there are Oyster/carnet validation posts
between the National Rail and Northern Lines, however these always
show closed on them.

As pre-pay hasn't offically started, the Oyster validators are closed.
Hopefully, we'll get a dignitry (Kat - can you ask GT? ;-)) down to tap them
with a plastic bottle of lemonade (the HMRI / PPP owners would have a fit if
we hit them with a bottle and if it was alcohol we'd all be instantly
sacked)

Sure you want him back, even for a visit?

What happens if you travel by tube with out
validating your journey?

You get charged £3.20 and have to spend an hour listening to a lovely
message on the Oystercard help desk...

Or you go the ticket office and get your unresolved journey, um.....
resolved.
--
Kat Frogs have it easy. They can eat what bugs them.