London Banter

-   -   Yellow front panels (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/10722-yellow-front-panels.html)

Paul Scott April 19th 10 09:50 PM

Yellow front panels

"Graham Harrison" wrote in message
If trains on the national network need yellow front panels why doesn't the
same apply to LUL?

It has been suggested previously it is because LU do not normally allow
maintenance staff access to the live railway.

You may have noticed LU's battery maintenance locos do have yellow panels...

[uk.transport.london added]

Paul S

Neil Williams April 20th 10 06:31 AM

Yellow front panels

On Apr 19, 11:50*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

It has been suggested previously it is because LU do not normally allow
maintenance staff access to the live railway.

Though I imagine red is almost as visible. Several European railways
including SBB, OeBB and DB use it.

Neil

Recliner[_2_] April 20th 10 08:50 AM

Yellow front panels

"Paul Scott" wrote in message

"Graham Harrison" wrote in
message ...
If trains on the national network need yellow front panels why
doesn't the same apply to LUL?

It has been suggested previously it is because LU do not normally
allow maintenance staff access to the live railway.

You may have noticed LU's battery maintenance locos do have yellow
panels...

Talking of which, I came across this YouTube video of an unusual rail
tour, with LU battery locos topping and tailing Mk2 Gatwick Express
stock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpibombER74

D7666 April 20th 10 09:12 AM

Yellow front panels

On Apr 19, 10:50*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

If trains on the national network need yellow front panels why doesn't the
same apply to LUL?

It has been suggested previously it is because LU do not normally allow
maintenance staff access to the live railway.

LU does allow access but only for emergency faults. No routine
maintenance on track is done in Traffic Hours.

You may have noticed LU's battery maintenance locos do have yellow panels....

Chickens and eggs? The choice of yellow may have been influenced by
the need to operate over NR tracks, and not just the obvious tube
routes, but occasionally, in the past, on other jobs.

--
Nick

amogles April 20th 10 09:31 AM

Yellow front panels

On 20 Apr., 11:12, D7666 wrote:

You may have noticed LU's battery maintenance locos do have yellow panels...

Chickens and eggs? The choice of yellow may have been influenced by
the need to operate over NR tracks, and not just the obvious tube
routes, but occasionally, in the past, on other jobs.

LU service trains have traditionally been yellow, not just on the
front ends but all over. See for example the tunnel cleaning train.

Andy Elms April 20th 10 10:51 AM

Yellow front panels

On 20 Apr, 09:41, Pat Ricroft wrote:
On 19 Apr, 22:50, "Paul Scott" wrote:

"Graham Harrison" wrote in message

If trains on the national network need yellow front panels why doesn't the
same apply to LUL?

It has been suggested previously it is because LU do not normally allow
maintenance staff access to the live railway.

You may have noticed LU's battery maintenance locos do have yellow panels...

So why don't the Bakerloo Line trains have yellow panels for working
over Network Rail lines to Harrow and Wealdstone?

IIRC, the tracks are LUL (or whatever), and Network Rail trains run
over them. ISTR a NR/LUL boundary marker on my Baker.

Clarification, anyone?

Andy

David Hansen April 20th 10 11:25 AM

Yellow front panels

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 03:51:01 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be Andy
Elms wrote this:-

So why don't the Bakerloo Line trains have yellow panels for working
over Network Rail lines to Harrow and Wealdstone?

IIRC, the tracks are LUL (or whatever), and Network Rail trains run
over them. ISTR a NR/LUL boundary marker on my Baker.

Unless it was one of the changes made around the time of
privatisation, no. However, it may have been one of the changes at
privatisation.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54

Paul Scott April 20th 10 11:32 AM

Yellow front panels

"Andy Elms" wrote in message
On 20 Apr, 09:41, Pat Ricroft wrote:

So why don't the Bakerloo Line trains have yellow panels for working
over Network Rail lines to Harrow and Wealdstone?

IIRC, the tracks are LUL (or whatever), and Network Rail trains run
over them. ISTR a NR/LUL boundary marker on my Baker.

The current Quail map shows the LU/NR boundary at the west end of the Queens
Park sheds - basically where the Bakerloo trains join the London Overground
route. I don't think there have been any recent changes at all.

Paul S

Peter Masson[_2_] April 20th 10 11:49 AM

Yellow front panels

Elms wrote this:-

So why don't the Bakerloo Line trains have yellow panels for working
over Network Rail lines to Harrow and Wealdstone?

IIRC, the tracks are LUL (or whatever), and Network Rail trains run
over them. ISTR a NR/LUL boundary marker on my Baker.

Unless it was one of the changes made around the time of
privatisation, no. However, it may have been one of the changes at
privatisation.

AIUI, of the jointly used lines, Queens Park to Harrow & Wealdstone, East
Putney to Wimbledon, and Gunnersbury to Richmond are Network Rail lines,
while Harrow South Junction to Amersham is LUL,

Peter

Denis McMahon[_2_] April 20th 10 11:52 AM

Yellow front panels

Neil Williams wrote:
On Apr 19, 11:50 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

It has been suggested previously it is because LU do not normally allow
maintenance staff access to the live railway.

Though I imagine red is almost as visible. Several European railways
including SBB, OeBB and DB use it.

I think the problem with red in the UK would be that red/orange is the
colour of staff vis vests, and at a distance a fast approaching train
might be mistaken for a person in the distance wearing a vis vest.

Rgds

Denis McMahon

PhilD April 20th 10 12:41 PM

Yellow front panels

On 20 Apr, 12:49, "Peter Masson" wrote:
AIUI, of the jointly used lines, Queens Park to Harrow & Wealdstone, East
Putney to Wimbledon, and Gunnersbury to Richmond are Network Rail lines,
while Harrow South Junction to Amersham is LUL,

As I understand it, the Wimbledon bit is now LU, though signalled by
NR (presumably this will change whenever Wimbledon needs to be
resignalled).

PhilD

David Hansen April 20th 10 04:59 PM

Yellow front panels

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 05:41:17 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be PhilD
wrote this:-

AIUI, of the jointly used lines, Queens Park to Harrow & Wealdstone, East
Putney to Wimbledon, and Gunnersbury to Richmond are Network Rail lines,
while Harrow South Junction to Amersham is LUL,

As I understand it, the Wimbledon bit is now LU, though signalled by
NR

That is my understanding too. They also presumably supply traction
power too. No idea about the other bits.

D7666 April 20th 10 06:46 PM

Yellow front panels

On Apr 20, 10:31*am, amogles wrote:
On 20 Apr., 11:12, D7666 wrote:

You may have noticed LU's battery maintenance locos do have yellow panels...

Chickens and eggs? The choice of yellow may have been influenced by
the need to operate over NR tracks, and not just the obvious tube
routes, but occasionally, in the past, on other jobs.

LU service trains have traditionally been yellow, not just on the
front ends but all over. See for example the tunnel cleaning train.

I dispute that.

They were traditonally maroon or grey or green.

Yellow is relatively new, I'd be 99% sure they never used yellow
until well after BR started. DL81 -83 came to Lu in ?1969 ? 1970 ? and
they were green not a shade of a yellow panel on them.

Yes, some have been yellow for a long time now, but ''traditional''
no.

--
Nick

[email protected] April 20th 10 08:15 PM

Yellow front panels

On 20 Apr., 11:12, D7666 wrote:

You may have noticed LU's battery maintenance locos do have yellow panels...

LU service trains have traditionally been yellow, not just on the
front ends but all over. See for example the tunnel cleaning train.

I dispute that.

They were traditonally maroon or grey or green.

Yellow is relatively new, I'd be 99% sure they never used yellow
until well after BR started. DL81 -83 came to Lu in ?1969 ? 1970 ? and
they were green not a shade of a yellow panel on them.

The battery Locos have recently been mentioned on a North American
model group as a counter claim to a Magazine description which reckons
that the battery Loco has just been invented over there.
The Wikipedia link I read from there has an unverified claim that the
maroon colour was using paint from the Steam fleet. Not sure if they
mean there was surplus paint or that the colour was chosen to match.

G.Harman

[email protected] April 20th 10 08:54 PM

Yellow front panels

On 20/04/2010 13:41, PhilD wrote:
On 20 Apr, 12:49, "Peter wrote:
AIUI, of the jointly used lines, Queens Park to Harrow& Wealdstone, East
Putney to Wimbledon, and Gunnersbury to Richmond are Network Rail lines,
while Harrow South Junction to Amersham is LUL,

As I understand it, the Wimbledon bit is now LU, though signalled by
NR (presumably this will change whenever Wimbledon needs to be
resignalled).

PhilD

--

NR trains don't normally run from Putney to Wimbledon, though. Don't they?

IIRC, NR trains went through there on occasion just to facilitate
placing rolling stock in position.

PhilD April 20th 10 09:13 PM

Yellow front panels

On Apr 20, 9:54*pm, "
wrote:
NR trains don't normally run from Putney to Wimbledon, though. Don't they?

IIRC, NR trains went through there on occasion just to facilitate
placing rolling stock in position.

There's a couple of odd-hours Waterloo-Wimbledon (and beyond, and vice
versa) services routed via Point Pleasant Junction/East Putney. The
line is also used for ECS moves, diversionary moves, and for access to/
from Wimbledon depot.

PhilD

Charles Ellson April 20th 10 11:19 PM

Yellow front panels

wrote this:-

AIUI, of the jointly used lines, Queens Park to Harrow & Wealdstone, East
Putney to Wimbledon, and Gunnersbury to Richmond are Network Rail lines,
while Harrow South Junction to Amersham is LUL,

As I understand it, the Wimbledon bit is now LU, though signalled by
NR

That is my understanding too. They also presumably supply traction
power too. No idea about the other bits.

?
IIRC the Wimbledon branch was transferred to LU on the same day as the
Drain.

tfh of Hednesford April 21st 10 08:02 AM

Yellow front panels

On 20 Apr., 11:12, D7666 wrote:

You may have noticed LU's battery maintenance locos do have yellow panels...

Chickens and eggs? The choice of yellow may have been influenced by
the need to operate over NR tracks, and not just the obvious tube
routes, but occasionally, in the past, on other jobs.

LU service trains have traditionally been yellow, not just on the
front ends but all over. See for example the tunnel cleaning train.

I dispute that.

They were traditonally maroon or grey or green.

Yellow is relatively new, I'd be 99% sure they *never used yellow
until well after BR started. DL81 -83 came to Lu in ?1969 ? 1970 ? and
they were green not a shade of a yellow panel on them.

Yes, some have been yellow for a long time now, but ''traditional''
no.

--
Nick

Here is one of their departmental vehicles, an Electic Sleet
locomotive in Acton Works in 1981 in the marron livery

http://tonyhunter2814.fotopic.net/p3144135.html

Tony

Paul Scott April 21st 10 10:10 AM

Yellow front panels

"Charles Ellson" wrote in message

IIRC the Wimbledon branch was transferred to LU on the same day as the
Drain.

I'd suggest ownership is basically all that was transferred. The power
supplies and signalling are still effectively 'subcontracted' to NR. I
mentioned a few days ago that there is a project underway to separate the
power supplies to allow the NR voltage to be increased, and regenerative
braking to be enabled. You'd have to assume SSR resignalling might take the
signalling inhouse as well, eventually.

Paul S

Paul Scott April 21st 10 10:18 AM

Yellow front panels

PhilD wrote:
On Apr 20, 9:54 pm, "
wrote:
NR trains don't normally run from Putney to Wimbledon, though. Don't
they?

IIRC, NR trains went through there on occasion just to facilitate
placing rolling stock in position.

There's a couple of odd-hours Waterloo-Wimbledon (and beyond, and vice
versa) services routed via Point Pleasant Junction/East Putney. The
line is also used for ECS moves, diversionary moves, and for access
to/ from Wimbledon depot.

AFAICT there are 3 passenger services, and about 10 ECS moves in the
diagrams for a normal weekday, which is more than I expected. I think there
are 4 or 5 down direction ECS moves after the morning peak, so I imagine
daytime travellers on the District will be familiar with the main line
trains passing through.

Passenger services for those interested:
0454 Basingstoke to Waterloo
0042 (FX) Waterloo to Strawberry Hill
0105 Waterloo to Southampton

Paul S

[email protected] April 21st 10 12:04 PM

Yellow front panels

In article ,
() wrote:

The Wikipedia link I read from there has an unverified claim that the
maroon colour was using paint from the Steam fleet. Not sure if they
mean there was surplus paint or that the colour was chosen to match.

Maroon before the war, grey during the war, and maroon afterwards until
the early 80s, maybe? Maroon was the general "locomotives" colour.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

David Cantrell April 21st 10 12:55 PM

Yellow front panels

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 09:50:22AM +0100, Recliner wrote:

Talking of which, I came across this YouTube video of an unusual rail
tour, with LU battery locos topping and tailing Mk2 Gatwick Express
stock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpibombER74

Wow!

Do you know if that tour included any of the cut n cover sections? Or
are mk 2s too fat to fit?

--
David Cantrell | Official London Perl Mongers Bad Influence

Godliness is next to Englishness

Recliner[_2_] April 21st 10 01:34 PM

Yellow front panels

"David Cantrell" wrote in message
On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 09:50:22AM +0100, Recliner wrote:

Talking of which, I came across this YouTube video of an unusual rail
tour, with LU battery locos topping and tailing Mk2 Gatwick Express
stock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpibombER74

Wow!

Do you know if that tour included any of the cut n cover sections? Or
are mk 2s too fat to fit?

I don't know about that tour, but I think there have been others that
have taken old BR stock through the sub-surface tunnels (doesn't LU own
a few carriages?). Remember that A Stock is wider than most (all?) BR
stock.

David A Stocks[_3_] April 21st 10 11:30 PM

Yellow front panels

"David Cantrell" wrote in message
k...
On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 09:50:22AM +0100, Recliner wrote:

Talking of which, I came across this YouTube video of an unusual rail
tour, with LU battery locos topping and tailing Mk2 Gatwick Express
stock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpibombER74

Wow!

Do you know if that tour included any of the cut n cover sections? Or
are mk 2s too fat to fit?

ISTR the tour was something like Wimbledon to Wimbledon via Edgware Road and
Tower Hill (maybe not in that order) so, yes.

DAS

David Cantrell April 22nd 10 11:06 AM

Yellow front panels

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 02:34:55PM +0100, Recliner wrote:
"David Cantrell" wrote in message
On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 09:50:22AM +0100, Recliner wrote:
Talking of which, I came across this YouTube video of an unusual rail
tour, with LU battery locos topping and tailing Mk2 Gatwick Express
stock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpibombER74

Wow!
Do you know if that tour included any of the cut n cover sections? Or
are mk 2s too fat to fit?

I don't know about that tour, but I think there have been others that
have taken old BR stock through the sub-surface tunnels (doesn't LU own
a few carriages?). Remember that A Stock is wider than most (all?) BR
stock.

Ah, but BR stock is generally longer, so wouldn't be able to get round
curves that the dinky little LUL trains can - mk2s are 19.6m, A stock is
16.something.

--
David Cantrell | semi-evolved ape-thing

"IMO, the primary historical significance of Unix is that it marks the
time in computer history where CPUs became so cheap that it was possible
to build an operating system without adult supervision."
-- Russ Holsclaw in a.f.c

Recliner[_2_] April 22nd 10 12:01 PM

Yellow front panels

[...]

Yes, good point -- some parts of the Circle line would probably be
prohibited for that reason.

[email protected] April 22nd 10 10:35 PM

Yellow front panels

On 22/04/2010 00:30, David A Stocks wrote:
"David Cantrell" wrote in message
k...
On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 09:50:22AM +0100, Recliner wrote:

Talking of which, I came across this YouTube video of an unusual rail
tour, with LU battery locos topping and tailing Mk2 Gatwick Express
stock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpibombER74

Wow!

Do you know if that tour included any of the cut n cover sections? Or
are mk 2s too fat to fit?

ISTR the tour was something like Wimbledon to Wimbledon via Edgware Road
and Tower Hill (maybe not in that order) so, yes.

DAS

I wonder if there will be any more Vickers-hauled rail tours on the
Metropolitan line.

Johannes Picht April 29th 10 06:02 PM

Yellow front panels

Hello!

On 20.04.2010 08:31, Neil Williams wrote:
On Apr 19, 11:50 pm, "Paul
wrote:

It has been suggested previously it is because LU do not normally allow
maintenance staff access to the live railway.

Though I imagine red is almost as visible. Several European railways
including SBB, OeBB and DB use it.

AFAIK, the only networks on the continent requiring a specific front end
color are the Netherlands (white or yellow) and Italy (red). In Germany,
you are free to run completely black locos such as

http://www.railcolor.net/index.php?n...age&position=7

Johannes.

Neil Williams April 29th 10 08:35 PM

Yellow front panels

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 20:02:17 +0200, Johannes Picht
wrote:

AFAIK, the only networks on the continent requiring a specific front end
color are the Netherlands (white or yellow) and Italy (red). In Germany,
you are free to run completely black locos such as

In the UK, black is permitted (and usual) for steam locomotives. I
assume that's because of grandfather rights, but perhaps also because
you'd hear them a mile off anyway!

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To reply put my first name before the at.

Dysgraphyk April 29th 10 10:13 PM

Yellow front panels

wrote:
AFAIK, the only networks on the continent requiring a specific front end
color are the Netherlands (white or yellow) and Italy (red). In Germany,
you are free to run completely black locos such as

In the UK, black is permitted (and usual) for steam locomotives. *I
assume that's because of grandfather rights, but perhaps also because
you'd hear them a mile off anyway!

Neil

I was going to suggest that steam locos usually had/have red buffer
beams ...
but then I remembered that the LNER A4 streamliners don't.

Charles Ellson April 29th 10 10:53 PM

Yellow front panels

wrote:

AFAIK, the only networks on the continent requiring a specific front end
color are the Netherlands (white or yellow) and Italy (red). In Germany,
you are free to run completely black locos such as

In the UK, black is permitted (and usual) for steam locomotives. I
assume that's because of grandfather rights, but perhaps also because
you'd hear them a mile off anyway!

Don't they also carry headlights now ?

Neil Williams April 30th 10 02:11 PM

Yellow front panels

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 23:53:58 +0100, Charles Ellson
wrote:

Don't they also carry headlights now ?

I think so - but so do modern trains, and they need yellow ends as
well...

Neil

Chris Tolley[_2_] April 30th 10 03:23 PM

Yellow front panels

wrote:

AFAIK, the only networks on the continent requiring a specific front end
color are the Netherlands (white or yellow) and Italy (red). In Germany,
you are free to run completely black locos such as

In the UK, black is permitted (and usual) for steam locomotives. I
assume that's because of grandfather rights, but perhaps also because
you'd hear them a mile off anyway!

Red, shurely. But the stuff coming out of the chimney is a visual clue
too. Indeed, as a first order approximation, I've always assumed that
the yellow end is a replacement for the plume of smoke/steam.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9632978.html
(43 154 at Reading, 13 Jul 1999)

[email protected] April 30th 10 04:02 PM

Yellow front panels

wrote:

AFAIK, the only networks on the continent requiring a specific front end
color are the Netherlands (white or yellow) and Italy (red).

In the UK, black is permitted (and usual) for steam locomotives. I
assume that's because of grandfather rights, but perhaps also because
you'd hear them a mile off anyway!

Red, shurely. But the stuff coming out of the chimney is a visual clue
too. Indeed, as a first order approximation, I've always assumed that
the yellow end is a replacement for the plume of smoke/steam.

But I am fairly sure that in some situations a Steam loco will be
emitting little smoke or steam. Going down a gradient with the fire
burning cleanly the exhaust can be fairly transparent And that will be
just the time that little noise is produced either.

G.Harman

Chris Tolley[_2_] May 1st 10 07:42 PM

Yellow front panels

wrote:

AFAIK, the only networks on the continent requiring a specific front end
color are the Netherlands (white or yellow) and Italy (red).

In the UK, black is permitted (and usual) for steam locomotives. I
assume that's because of grandfather rights, but perhaps also because
you'd hear them a mile off anyway!

Red, shurely. But the stuff coming out of the chimney is a visual clue
too. Indeed, as a first order approximation, I've always assumed that
the yellow end is a replacement for the plume of smoke/steam.

But I am fairly sure that in some situations a Steam loco will be
emitting little smoke or steam. Going down a gradient with the fire
burning cleanly the exhaust can be fairly transparent And that will be
just the time that little noise is produced either.

This is true, but back in the day, trains were all noisier in general.
On those days when I am out watching the Pendolinos go by, I am
constantly impressed by how quiet they are.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p12198540.html
(57 010 at Sytch Lane (Slindon), 31 Jan 2005)

Dr. Sunil May 19th 10 03:50 PM

Yellow front panels

I have a copy of the 1985(?) "Motive Power Recognition: London
Transport and PTE railways", and there do seem to be a number of
yellow painted service vehicles (at least they look yellow despite
being black and white photos!). Some do seem to be darker (maroon?)
however, maybe they were the older ones?

D7666 May 19th 10 06:53 PM

Yellow front panels

On May 1, 8:42*pm, Chris Tolley (ukonline
really) wrote:

On those days when I am out watching the Pendolinos go by, I am
constantly impressed by how quiet they are.

Really ?

I think they are noisy for what they are, this is from the outside.
They make far more noise passing by than 350s do.

--
Nick

D7666 May 19th 10 07:04 PM

Yellow front panels

Anyway, what I really come on to post was this

http://www.railcolor.net/index.php?n...act ion=image

yes its French - to the unintiated that a Prima, the current Alstom
BoBo electric - and that one is hired through an SNCF associated
leasing outfit called AKIEM to ECR that in turn was owned by EWS hence
now DBS.

Perhaps the yellow panels herald operation into UK :o)

Cue comment totally ignoring I am on a wind up and going on about that
is not allowed in the tunnel because it is not fitted with this that
and the other, none of which are blocking points because IMHO the
thing could be modfied.

--
Nick

David Jackson May 19th 10 07:31 PM

Yellow front panels

The message

from D7666 contains these words:

I think they are noisy for what they are, this is from the outside.
They make far more noise passing by than 350s do.

It seems to depend on where you are when they go past you. At Acton
Bridge they're both very noisy when running through at normal speed
(90-ish for the 350 and 120-ish for the Pendo. It also depends on how
many wheel-flats each individual train has...

--
Dave,
Frodsham

Bruce[_2_] May 19th 10 08:27 PM

Yellow front panels

really) wrote:

On those days when I am out watching the Pendolinos go by, I am
constantly impressed by how quiet they are.

Really ?

I think they are noisy for what they are, this is from the outside.
They make far more noise passing by than 350s do.

They are very quiet compared to, say, Eurostars.