Old April 27th 10, 07:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Underground station name abbreviations

I decided to start a new thread rather than make the original wander.

In message of Sun, 25 Apr 2010
00:35:40 in uk.transport.london, Steve Fitzgerald ]
writes

[snip]

The journey from Cockfosters to Arnos is a bit of a chore sometimes.
During the morning peak (and leading up to it) you will have trains
coming in to service from Cockfosters (east end), Cockfosters (west
end) and reversers at Arnos Grove, all to get the 28 trains per hour
through the centre section. The trains you see depart are Arnos Grove
reversers and are actually booked to leave before you arrive but as we
have a timetable that has a fair bit of recovery in it, CFS trains
often arrive before the reverser departs - not helped by the signalling
which doesn't allow potentially conflicting moves.

Steve,
In your posting, you use CFS as a three letter abbreviation (TLA) for
Cockfosters and you later use AGR for Arnos Grove. You are naturally
familiar with the TLAs for stations on the Piccadilly Line. There is a
set of TLAs for all lines in the source code of Live Departure Boards at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravelnews/departureboards/.
That set is incomplete. Are you able to supply abbreviations for the
missing stations? I use a lower case TLA where I have no information.

Station Name ABRv
Chesham che cf. AME for Amersham
Goldhawk Road gol GRD is Gloucester Road
Ladbroke Grove LBG I can't remember where I found this.
Latimer Road lrd
Preston Road prd
Royal Oak rok
Shepherd's Bush Market sbm cf. TCR for Tottenham Court Road
Westbourne Park wbp WPK is Wembley Park
Wood Lane wln cf. RLN for Rayners Lane

Those stations actually have no physical train describers (TD).
OTOH, some physical TDs are not echoed, e.g. Northwick Park southbound,
and some missing physical TD are echoed, e.g. Tooting Bec southbound.

The 2 Paddington stations are exceptional - 4 letter abbreviations:
Paddington - City PADc
Paddington - Suburban PADs
where City is the station on the District and Circle lines and Suburban
is the one on the Hammersmith & City and Circle lines.
--
Walter Briscoe

Old April 27th 10, 01:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Walter Briscoe
writes
[...]

I am told that there are no official TLAs and that different parts of
the organisation use different ones.

For example, we use AGR train side for Arnos Grove but Tubelines (being
the former Infrastructure part) use ARG. There are a few other oddities
that schedules use such as HRV (For Terminal 5; think Roman numerals)
and HRF (for Terminal 4). We've always used HRC for 123 (the old
Heathrow Central you see) but I think schedules used just 123.

I've no idea of any of the TLAs used off the Piccadilly although I can
ask around and see if anyone knows.
Old April 27th 10, 01:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message of Tue, 27 Apr 2010
14:31:56 in uk.transport.london, Steve Fitzgerald ]
writes
In message , Walter Briscoe
writes
[...]

I may have been told that after a question remained dormant for 2.5
months. I found the response as opaque as others find my questions.

For example, we use AGR train side for Arnos Grove but Tubelines (being
the former Infrastructure part) use ARG. There are a few other
oddities that schedules use such as HRV (For Terminal 5; think Roman
numerals) and HRF (for Terminal 4). We've always used HRC for 123 (the
old Heathrow Central you see) but I think schedules used just 123.

Departure boards is consistent with you in all cases you mention.

I've no idea of any of the TLAs used off the Piccadilly although I can
ask around and see if anyone knows.

I would appreciate that.
--
Walter Briscoe
Old April 27th 10, 03:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Apr 27, 2:50*pm, Walter Briscoe
wrote:
[...]

Only the Central and Jubilee (not 100% sure on the latter) use
official TLAs. Though it may not match up with the Connect radio
station cell names.

On other lines, there are often several different one used, in fact I
don't always use the same one!