Old November 26th 03, 04:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default easy to fare dodge on new bendy buses

The new bendy buses are introduced on certain bus routes. Passengers
can aboard through any of the 3 doors & the ticket must be purchased
before boarding the bus. But whats there to stop anyone boarding the
bus without buying a ticket or a pass and having a free bus ride. Okay
theres a £5 penalty for not having a valid ticket or a pass if caught
by a bus inspector. £5 fine is hardly a deterrent. I have never seen a
bus inspector on the bendy buses & fare dodgers are very unlikely to
be caught as a result.

Old November 26th 03, 10:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 22:54:50 +0000, Robert Woolley
wrote:

b) There is a review of penalty fares on buses - with a rise to £10.

Still not enough to be a real deterrent, IMO. gbp30 is nearer the
mark.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
is a valid email address, but is sent to /dev/null.
Old November 27th 03, 09:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

b) There is a review of penalty fares on buses - with a rise to £10.

Still not enough to be a real deterrent, IMO. gbp30 is nearer the
mark.

It's £25 on Tramlink, which I think is sufficient.

Old December 1st 03, 05:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

(Neil Williams) wrote in message ...
On 26 Nov 2003 09:23:10 -0800,
(Pritesh) wrote:

snip£5 fine is hardly a deterrent. snip

Agreed. The penalty fare on all modes should be increased to be
similar to the fine for parking offences, i.e. around gbp60, with
discount to gbp30 for prompt/on-the-spot payment, and increased to
gbp90 if not paid within N weeks.

Certain exceptions should be introduced, however; someone who has
genuinely forgotten their season ticket could be given 7 days to
produce it at an appropriate location, when the PF could be cancelled
(but subject to an administrative fee of perhaps a couple of quid).

Neil

And whats to stop everyone claiming to have forgoteen their season
ticket?
More to the point why is so much attention and engery put in to
getting people who haven't paid their bus fare of £1. While it is
important to stop these people how far can you go on the Tube for a
pound? With most people paying Two or Three quid for a trip on the
tube (Not everyone needs a Travelcard) surely its better to put more
money into stopping people avoiding paying a fare on the tube.
I have been at London Kings Cross a number of times and after a two
hour train journey paying nearly four quid for a single ticket (which
at the moment you get to stand in the cold and rain to buy) and fight
your way down to the platforms with luggage. Only to see bored ticket
staff watching kids jumping over the plastic barrier (on Met/Circle
Line platforms. On the right as you come down the stairs) and ignoring
them. And the old someone coming through the gate the same time as
you. And in some parts of London (even Kings Cross). The Luggage/Buggy
gate always open.
I have been asked for my ticket plenty of times on Buses but never on
the tube. And I use the tube a lot more than buses
Old December 1st 03, 08:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 1 Dec 2003 10:13:49 -0800, (CJG Now
Thankfully Living In The North) wrote:

And whats to stop everyone claiming to have forgoteen their season
ticket?

Pay up (for the PF) first, claim it back later?

Neil