Old May 13th 10, 09:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Speak of the Devil

On Thu, 13 May 2010 00:42:25 -0700 (PDT), Standing at HN28 signal
wrote:

On 12 May, 23:15, Bruce wrote:
On Wed, 12 May 2010 22:31:37 +0100, "Richard J."

wrote:

When you've finished whinging about the whingers on uk.railway (which is
not a group I subscribe to), perhaps someone could answer my question.

Apology accepted.

Most likely because running round would take too long so it needs to
be top n tailed by something. Class 20s rarely run solo as they are
quite low powered I believe.

Probably coupled nose to nose to give good visibility for the driver.
Perhaps more important than low power.

Guy Gorton

Old May 13th 10, 09:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

When you've finished whinging about the whingers on uk.railway (which is
not a group I subscribe to), perhaps someone could answer my question.

Apology accepted.

Most likely because running round would take too long so it needs to
be top n tailed by something. Class 20s rarely run solo as they are
quite low powered I believe.

They've managed with one class 20 in the past, but that was on the
Steam on the Met Days, so the 20 was only there for emergencies &
providing an air supply for the brakes.
(Fond memories of a Std class 4 tank + 20 thrashing away from Moor
Park southbound though..)

Sarah would indeed have problems running round at the terminal
station, but it has worked Push-Pull with a TC set before, in
connection with an even at Brunel University.
Since the loco lacks MU connections, when pushing there were two
drivers, one in the TC cab, controlling the brakes & Sarah's regular
guy in her cab. Even with a radio link between them, there were quite
a few for & aft moments at conductor rail gaps!

DC
Old May 13th 10, 10:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:

When you've finished whinging about the whingers on uk.railway (which is
not a group I subscribe to), perhaps someone could answer my question.

Apology accepted.

Most likely because running round would take too long so it needs to
be top n tailed by something. Class 20s rarely run solo as they are
quite low powered I believe.

Probably coupled nose to nose to give good visibility for the driver.
Perhaps more important than low power.

Guy Gorton

ISTR that when only one class 20 was used on an LUL special, it was
always marshalled to run cab-end 1st.

DC