Old May 15th 10, 11:33 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default Transport Secretary vows to finish Crossrail

"Arthur Figgis" wrote in message

On 13/05/2010 22:16, allantracy wrote:

The coalition of fools could make things worse.

I made no remark about how we got there. Only trhat those now in
control might mess it up.

I suppose it is possible, whilst Nick is sitting in the corner of a
number ten office bored out of his mind because he’s been given
nothing to do and David is unable to keep an eye on him because he’s
up to his eyeballs in red boxes, that Nick’s attention could be drawn
to the big red button marked TRIDENT FIRE and curiosity as to what it
does may take over.

There was something on the radio a while back, and IIRC it doesn't
work like that. They were making the point that the PM can't order an
attack, only ask for one, and it is up to the military to actually do
it (going right to the top if they think the PM has lost his
marbles). The actual trigger is onboard the boat.

Presumably, now the Cold War is well over, there may also be the small
matter of choosing targets before launching an attack.

Old May 15th 10, 12:46 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 15 May 2010 12:33:50 +0100, "Recliner"
wrote:

Presumably, now the Cold War is well over, there may also be the small
matter of choosing targets before launching an attack.

If Nick Clegg was given his choice of target, it might well be goodbye
to Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath.

Old May 15th 10, 01:25 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 14 May, 17:03, "Tim Fenton" wrote:

Dawn has a BA degree in Social Science.

That disqualifies her from participating in the legislature, does it?

No, and neither does this, I think...

And apparently a bit of a goer.

Old May 15th 10, 03:14 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In uk.railway Bruce twisted the electrons to say:
wrote:
Presumably, now the Cold War is well over, there may also be the small
matter of choosing targets before launching an attack.

If Nick Clegg was given his choice of target, it might well be goodbye
to Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath.

Well I could live with that, do you think we get him to use a warhead on
Middlesborough whilst he was at it? Something in about the 100kt range
should do the job according to the Google Maps applets I've found!
Old May 15th 10, 05:55 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In article , Alistair Gunn
writes
snip

If Nick Clegg was given his choice of target, it might well be goodbye
to Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath.

Well I could live with that, do you think we get him to use a warhead on
Middlesborough whilst he was at it? Something in about the 100kt range
should do the job according to the Google Maps applets I've found!

"Come, friendly bombs, and fall on [insert preferred target]
It isn't fit for people now"

(apologies to Betjeman}
--
Bill Borland

Old May 15th 10, 08:43 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 15 May 2010 18:55:25 +0100, Bill Borland
wrote:
In article , Alistair Gunn
writes
snip

If Nick Clegg was given his choice of target, it might well be goodbye
to Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath.

Well I could live with that, do you think we get him to use a warhead on
Middlesborough whilst he was at it? Something in about the 100kt range
should do the job according to the Google Maps applets I've found!

"Come, friendly bombs, and fall on [insert preferred target]
It isn't fit for people now"

(apologies to Betjeman}

That was then. Since Betjeman wrote those words in 1937, Slough has
gotten much, much worse.

However, if I was allowed a list of three targets, I think I would go
for Teeside, Wrexham and Luton.

Old May 16th 10, 10:56 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

However, if I was allowed a list of three targets, I think I would go
for Teeside, Wrexham and Luton.

1) Middlesbrough (will anyone NOT include this in their list?)
2) Stockport (anyone else going to take out their home town?)
3) S****horpe (based on a brief recent visit - so apologies if it's
actually quite decent)
Old May 16th 10, 11:29 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 16 May 2010 10:56:56 +0000 (UTC), Martin Petrov
wrote:

3) S****horpe (based on a brief recent visit - so apologies if it's
actually quite decent)

It's hideous, but it used to be much worse.

Old May 16th 10, 11:37 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 16/05/2010 11:56, Martin Petrov wrote:
However, if I was allowed a list of three targets, I think I would go
for Teeside, Wrexham and Luton.

1) Middlesbrough (will anyone NOT include this in their list?)
2) Stockport (anyone else going to take out their home town?)
3) S****horpe (based on a brief recent visit - so apologies if it's
actually quite decent)

I used to visit Stockport regularly in the 1980s. Nothing wrong with the
place, certainly compared to Leeds.
Old May 16th 10, 06:40 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In article ,
says...

"Basil Jet" wrote in message

I used to visit Stockport regularly in the 1980s. Nothing wrong with the
place, certainly compared to Leeds.

Stockport has a pleasant old town, too. And, of course, Proper Signalboxes
(tm).

Not forgetting a Platform 0 [found this out the hard way by missing a
Buxton connection]