Old May 24th 10, 11:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default GBP108 million cut to TfL's transport grant

Just heard on the radio that the SoS Transport, Philip Hammond, is
'consulting' Mayor Boris on a £108 million cut to the GLA transport
grant from central government (which rather sounds like a metaphor for
telling BoJo how it's going to be).

Not sure of the proportion these at the moment but a few years back
the grant accounted for around half of TfL's funding.

On the same bulletin I heard that the Mayor has confirmed this morning
that the Western Extension of the Congestion Charge will be scrapped
by the end of the year, so that's a source of income that will no
longer exist. Of course last week we heard about the finalised design
for the New Bus for London (aka 'new Routemaster', 'BorisBus',
'BorisMaster'), which many have described as something of a vanity
project for Boris - and that doesn't come for free. And then there's
the costly purge of bendy buses from London. All this in the context
of TfL taking over the Tube Lines infraco (after the 2008 takeover of
Metronet), so now TfL itself is responsible for delivering the
promised Underground line upgrades. Then there's Crossrail...

Old May 24th 10, 11:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote in message

Just heard on the radio that the SoS Transport, Philip Hammond, is
'consulting' Mayor Boris on a £108 million cut to the GLA transport
grant from central government (which rather sounds like a metaphor for
telling BoJo how it's going to be).

Not sure of the proportion these at the moment but a few years back
the grant accounted for around half of TfL's funding.

On the same bulletin I heard that the Mayor has confirmed this morning
that the Western Extension of the Congestion Charge will be scrapped
by the end of the year, so that's a source of income that will no
longer exist.

I thought this was approximately revenue neutral?

Old May 24th 10, 01:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
Just heard on the radio that the SoS Transport, Philip Hammond, is
'consulting' Mayor Boris on a £108 million cut to the GLA transport
grant from central government (which rather sounds like a metaphor for
telling BoJo how it's going to be).

Not sure of the proportion these at the moment but a few years back
the grant accounted for around half of TfL's funding.

On the same bulletin I heard that the Mayor has confirmed this morning
that the Western Extension of the Congestion Charge will be scrapped
by the end of the year, so that's a source of income that will no
longer exist.

Isn't he also tweaking the existing congestion charge upwards though? £8 -
£10 or something?

Paul S

Old May 24th 10, 01:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 24, 2:29*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

Mizter T wrote:
Just heard on the radio that the SoS Transport, Philip Hammond, is
'consulting' Mayor Boris on a £108 million cut to the GLA transport
grant from central government (which rather sounds like a metaphor for
telling BoJo how it's going to be).

Not sure of the proportion these at the moment but a few years back
the grant accounted for around half of TfL's funding.

On the same bulletin I heard that the Mayor has confirmed this morning
that the Western Extension of the Congestion Charge will be scrapped
by the end of the year, so that's a source of income that will no
longer exist.

Isn't he also tweaking the existing congestion charge upwards though? £8 -
£10 or something?

Yes. Pretty sure that was announced long ago - today's announcements
basically seem to be re-announcements, but that's because it signals
the start of the the formal consultation process (as required by
statute). Wonder how much of a spanner in the works it'd be if
Londoners objected en masse...
Old May 24th 10, 02:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:

On the same bulletin I heard that the Mayor has confirmed this morning
that the Western Extension of the Congestion Charge will be scrapped
by the end of the year, so that's a source of income that will no
longer exist.

I thought this was approximately revenue neutral?

Sure that wasn't a Gilligan thing based on a highly idiosyncratic
reading of the figures?

Actually, Boris has stopped the annual Congestion Charge review report
being published, so it's really hard to tell.

Tom

Old May 24th 10, 02:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tom Barry" wrote in message

Recliner wrote:

On the same bulletin I heard that the Mayor has confirmed this
morning that the Western Extension of the Congestion Charge will be
scrapped by the end of the year, so that's a source of income that
will no longer exist.

I thought this was approximately revenue neutral?

Sure that wasn't a Gilligan thing based on a highly idiosyncratic
reading of the figures?

Actually, Boris has stopped the annual Congestion Charge review report
being published, so it's really hard to tell.

I can't remember where I read it, but I suppose it might have come from
him. But it looks like I was wrong, though, as you say, it's hard to
know what the actual *net* revenue is. I seem to remember even Ken
saying that the CC scheme was more about cutting traffic than raising
revenue, particularly after the revenues were less than expected, and
the costs higher.

Old May 24th 10, 05:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 24 May 2010 15:42:13 +0100, "Recliner"
wrote:
"Tom Barry" wrote in message

Recliner wrote:

[...]

Surely an FOI request is needed here.