Old June 26th 13, 11:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 8.5% cut in central govt grant to TfL; suburban West Anglia trainsto be devolved to TfL control

The Mayor's press release trumpets the long term 6 year funding
settlement from the Treasury.

http://www.london.gov.uk/media/mayor-press-releases/2013/06/mayor-secures-unprecedented-transport-settlement-for-london-to

Old June 26th 13, 11:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
The Mayor's press release trumpets the long term 6 year funding
settlement from the Treasury.

http://www.london.gov.uk/media/mayor-press-releases/2013/06/mayor-secures-unprecedented-transport-settlement-for-london-to

I'm surprised no-one commented on the Goblin electrification and WA news in
this and my previous piston the same topic.
Old June 27th 13, 05:15 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recliner[_2_] View Post

http://www.london.gov.uk/media/mayor...-for-london-to

I'm surprised no-one commented on the Goblin electrification and WA news in
this and my previous piston the same topic.
I'm surprised the Goblin electrification comes in at only £90 million. If it can be
done so cheaply, why wasn't it done sooner?

I'm puzzled by his plans for housing in Tottenham. Where are these houses
going to be built?

. . . and, of course, I am alarmed by the threat of "improvements" to the roads . . . .
Old June 27th 13, 11:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Robin9 wrote:
I'm surprised the Goblin electrification comes in at only £90 million.
If it can be
done so cheaply, why wasn't it done sooner?

The Goblin user group think that £90 million is an over-estimate.
There are other estimates that are nearer £50 million.

It's long been known to be a cheap(ish) scheme that has a very high
benifit-to-cost ratio; the argument has been "who pays" for a very
long time. The benificiaries will be TfL the freight companies - so
the costs should be bourne by TfL and DaFT - but in what proportion?

--
Mike Bristow

Old June 27th 13, 11:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 11:01:33 +0100, Paul Corfield
wrote:

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 07:15:10 +0200, Robin9
wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/nqgocgr-

I'm surprised no-one commented on the Goblin electrification and WA news
in
this and my previous piston the same topic.

I'm surprised the Goblin electrification comes in at only £90 million.
If it can be done so cheaply, why wasn't it done sooner?

TfL have been arguing it can be done for far *less* than £90m. Network
Rail are doing detailed surveys and costings to try to get a firm
estimate and achieveable methodology for doing the work. TfL have also
suggested that any "compensation payments" that would to go LOROL when
the line is closed for improvements could be waived to get the costs
down.

I am delighted we have got the go ahead - the extra capacity is
urgently needed. The only worry is that work will probably not start
until 2015/16 (a guess on my part btw).

I've lost track of what length 378s would be used on this route: 3, 4
or 5 car trains?

Old June 27th 13, 11:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:01:33 on
Thu, 27 Jun 2013, Paul Corfield remarked:
I'm puzzled by his plans for housing in Tottenham. Where are these
houses going to be built?

In the area south of the A406 and east of the Lea Valley rail
corridor.

I drove down the Lea Valley last weekend (en route to the Tottenham
IKEA) and it's pretty sparsely built up round there.
Old June 27th 13, 12:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 12:13:27 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:01:33 on
Thu, 27 Jun 2013, Paul Corfield remarked:
I'm puzzled by his plans for housing in Tottenham. Where are these
houses going to be built?

In the area south of the A406 and east of the Lea Valley rail
corridor.

I drove down the Lea Valley last weekend (en route to the Tottenham
IKEA) and it's pretty sparsely built up round there.

IIRC its mostly railway line, malls and industrial estates. Can't see where
they'd fit in more housing unless they plonk it on what little green space
is left. And that won't be popular.

--
Spud

Old June 27th 13, 01:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

I'm surprised no-one commented on the Goblin electrification and WA news
in
this and my previous piston the same topic.

I'm surprised the Goblin electrification comes in at only £90 million.
If it can be done so cheaply, why wasn't it done sooner?

TfL have been arguing it can be done for far *less* than £90m. Network
Rail are doing detailed surveys and costings to try to get a firm
estimate and achieveable methodology for doing the work. TfL have also
suggested that any "compensation payments" that would to go LOROL when
the line is closed for improvements could be waived to get the costs
down.

I am delighted we have got the go ahead - the extra capacity is
urgently needed. The only worry is that work will probably not start
until 2015/16 (a guess on my part btw).

This leaves the issues of no through platforms at Gospel Oak and the
platform length at South Tottenham - have there been any feasibility studies
on either of these?

--
My blog: http://adf.ly/4hi4c

Old June 27th 13, 03:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:59:20 on Thu, 27 Jun
2013, d remarked:
I drove down the Lea Valley last weekend (en route to the Tottenham
IKEA) and it's pretty sparsely built up round there.

IIRC its mostly railway line, malls and industrial estates. Can't see where
they'd fit in more housing unless they plonk it on what little green space
is left. And that won't be popular.

Brown-site ex-industrial estates perhaps.