Old May 27th 10, 11:46 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Default Buses taking up 2 lanes

On Thu, 27 May 2010 03:30:57 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

Boring. No wonder it takes so long to get anywhere with people like
you on the roads. You gotta push the limits, man.

Visions of Mizter T doing power slides around Piccadilly Circus in his
Subaru Impreza ...

Er, no. Can't see it. Sorry.

Old May 27th 10, 12:19 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

On 27/05/2010 11:30, Mizter T wrote:

On May 27, 9:43 am, wrote:

On Wed, 26 May 2010 14:36:03 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T wrote:

On May 26, 4:59 pm, wrote:

Mr. Benn wrote:

"Mizter wrote:
[snip]
Of course he is - and he's completely right - if everyone just
concentrated on looking at the road in front of them, and stopped
getting distracted by that which is behind them, then all would be
well. It's none of anyone's business what goes on behind them - we
don't have eyes in the back of our head for a reason.

Thanks for your advice. I'll completely remove the rear view mirror in
my car as it doesn't serve any useful purpose. It was useful for the
furry dice though.

I constantly scan ALL of my mirrors at very regular intervals. To not
do so, would be foolish and not very sensible driving.

I try and anticipate and know what everything is doing around me,
especially if a **** is driving too close to my rear bumper. This tells
me to leave a bigger gap in front of me, just in case the car in front
pulls up suddenly or a kiddie runs out into the road. There's then less
chance of the **** behind me, rearending me.

Constantly checking your rear view mirror IS common sense.

You sound just like my driving instructor did. Boring.

If your driving instructor was boring, he/she was probably a good driver.
Boring means not taking risks. It means being consistent and predictable.
It means not getting into sticky situations (as you foresaw a potential
problem and avoided it) and keeping within your limits.

Boring. No wonder it takes so long to get anywhere with people like
you on the roads. You gotta push the limits, man.

Fraid it doesn't work like that. Try going at different speeds on a
known journey in traffic and see how your arrival times vary. Then try
the same journey but stopping all the time - e.g. for petrol etc. You'll
soon see what makes the real difference - not speed but time spent not
moving.

--
John Wright

Use your imagination Marvin!

Life's bad enough as it is - why invent any more of it.
Old May 27th 10, 12:22 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

On 27/05/2010 08:39, bod wrote:
Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:
Mr. Benn wrote:
"Nightjar "cpb"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote in message
Mr. Benn wrote:
I have noticed bus drivers driving dangerously close behind me. ...

That's your fault. If you drove like most people appear to and did
not use your rear view mirrors, you wouldn't notice them.

Colin Bignell

Are you serious Colin?

Actually, I wonder if this at the root of so many drivers being
totally unaware of what is happening behind them - they looked in the
mirror once, didn't like what they saw and never looked again.

Colin Bignell

That happened to me once. I gave a lift to a woman, she sat in the back
seat. She was so ugly, that I dared not look in the mirror twice.

A woman once ran into the back of my vehicle - hers was a Ford Cortina,
mine was a Volvo 240 (Pre-Ford). She lunched her car but did no damage
to the Volvo. Very pretty woman but when she opened her mouth she spoke
like Janet Street-Porter.

Old May 27th 10, 02:28 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

wrote:
On 27/05/2010 11:30, Mizter T wrote:

Boring. No wonder it takes so long to get anywhere with people like
you on the roads. You gotta push the limits, man.

Fraid it doesn't work like that. Try going at different speeds on a
known journey in traffic and see how your arrival times vary. Then try
the same journey but stopping all the time - e.g. for petrol etc. You'll
soon see what makes the real difference - not speed but time spent not
moving.

Whooooosh ... !

You may say that... but having been overtaken no less than three times
by the same police car (hence recognizable) in the space of ten miles on
a dual carriageway, then ending up right behind him on the same
off-ramp, I became convinced that speed (from say 45-75) matters little
in overall journey time, it only makes seconds of difference. Hence no
need to push the limits. I'm sure Jenson Button might well agree.

Old May 27th 10, 02:46 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

On May 27, 9:43 am, *wrote:

On Wed, 26 May 2010 14:36:03 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T wrote:
[snip]
You sound just like my driving instructor did. Boring.

If your driving instructor was boring, he/she was probably a good driver.
Boring means not taking risks. It means being consistent and predictable.
It means not getting into sticky situations (as you foresaw a potential
problem and avoided it) and keeping within your limits.

Boring. No wonder it takes so long to get anywhere with people like
you on the roads. You gotta push the limits, man.

Fraid it doesn't work like that. Try going at different speeds on a
known journey in traffic and see how your arrival times vary. Then try
the same journey but stopping all the time - e.g. for petrol etc. You'll
soon see what makes the real difference - not speed but time spent not
moving.

I stop for nothing. Unless absolutely, unavoidably necessary. Gotta
live in the fast lane man - and *every* lane is the fast lane. No
wonder we're all going nowhere.
Old May 27th 10, 03:33 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On May 27, 9:43 am, *wrote:

[...]

In that case I suggest that you'd still be better off using your
mirror: to look out for things that might crash into you. Anyone in
front of you should use their own mirror and get out of your way. No
point you looking at them, because you ain't gonna stop.

And you can check your appearance all the time of course.
Old May 27th 10, 03:54 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

On May 27, 4:33*pm, MIG wrote:

On 27 May, 15:46, Mizter T wrote:
[snip]
I stop for nothing. Unless absolutely, unavoidably necessary. Gotta
live in the fast lane man - and *every* lane is the fast lane. No
wonder we're all going nowhere.

In that case I suggest that you'd still be better off using your
mirror: to look out for things that might crash into you. *Anyone in
front of you should use their own mirror and get out of your way. No
point you looking at them, because you ain't gonna stop.

And you can check your appearance all the time of course.

Nah, mirrors are unnatural. And nothing's gonna catch me up. Though
you do have a point - there's not a lot of point in paying *too* much
attention to the road ahead either - over-concentration is as bad as
no concentration.
Old May 27th 10, 06:00 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

wrote:
[...]

Whoosh again!

Don't you know what it means? I mean whoosh.

Old May 28th 10, 11:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 12:46:48PM +0100, Bruce wrote:

Visions of Mizter T doing power slides around Piccadilly Circus in his
Subaru Impreza ...

I was very disappointed to find that in $video_game that had a London
map in it I couldn't do doughnuts around the cenotaph in a routemaster.

--
David Cantrell | Enforcer, South London Linguistic Massive

Lesbian bigots try to put finger in linguistic dyke:

Bus Lanes: Proof Of What We All Knew Nuxx Bar London Transport 189 February 10th 08 12:44 PM
Couple banned for life from shopping centre and branded 'terrorists' - for taking photos of their grandchildren Dr. Lippschitz London Transport 0 January 6th 08 11:47 PM
Taking the PIS asdf London Transport 5 September 13th 06 09:28 PM
Taking a dog on the underground AndyColeman London Transport 19 July 23rd 05 09:55 AM
What are bus lanes worth? Aidan Stanger London Transport 8 July 18th 04 06:47 PM