Old May 25th 10, 09:38 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
CJB CJB is offline

Default Woops - Sign on Haggerston ELL - Platform 1

Is Haggerston really to the north of Dalston? Or have they made a
mistake? I think signs at other nearby stations may be the same.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50503868@N03/4637990759/

CJB.

Old May 25th 10, 09:54 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 25 May, 10:38, CJB wrote:
Is Haggerston really to the north of Dalston? Or have they made a
mistake? I think signs at other nearby stations may be the same.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50503868@N03/4637990759/

CJB.

Whilst slightly confusing, the sign is correct. It doesn't generally
matter which compass directions the trains run, these diagrams usually
read downwards from the current location and can bare little relation
to the reality on the ground. Notice the Northbound trains at the top
of the sign (NB photoshopping a compass arrow onto the picture doesn't
help your case).
Old May 25th 10, 09:58 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

CJB wrote:
Is Haggerston really to the north of Dalston? Or have they made a
mistake? I think signs at other nearby stations may be the same.

They are like that everywhere else on LU and LO.

Picture the line diagrams you usually see on the 'other side' when entering
a tube platform - they all go downwards from 'here' whatever the actual
geography.

Paul S

Old May 25th 10, 10:06 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On May 25, 10:38*am, CJB wrote:
Is Haggerston really to the north of Dalston? Or have they made a
mistake? I think signs at other nearby stations may be the same.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50503868@N03/4637990759/

The sign doesn't actually claim any direction is north (it's you who's
drawn on the "N") - the sign is a diagramattic representation of the
ELL, and of the NLL with which there is interchange at Dalston. The
sign shows that one can travel north from Haggerston and change at
Dalston onto the NLL. (This will all make more sense when the ELL
extension from Dalston Jn to Highbury & Islington via Canonbury opens
next year.)

Haggerston is of course due south from Dalston, just down Kingsland
Road.
Old May 25th 10, 10:50 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 25 May 2010 03:06:25 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

On May 25, 10:38*am, CJB wrote:
Is Haggerston really to the north of Dalston? Or have they made a
mistake? I think signs at other nearby stations may be the same.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50503868@N03/4637990759/

The sign doesn't actually claim any direction is north (it's you who's
drawn on the "N") - the sign is a diagramattic representation of the
ELL

It's in the wrong direction anyway, pointing west, not north!

The sign shows that one can travel north from Haggerston and change at
Dalston onto the NLL.

I'm pleased, for clarity, to see that it has a small 'walk' symbol
between the Dalston stations.

What happens in May - completely new signage, or a 'sticky label'
showing links at Canonbury and H&L? I know they need to be accurate
but this is a pretty short term arrangement.

Old May 25th 10, 11:42 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:
On May 25, 10:38*am, CJB wrote:
Is Haggerston really to the north of Dalston? Or have they made a
mistake? I think signs at other nearby stations may be the same.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50503868@N03/4637990759/

The sign doesn't actually claim any direction is north (it's you who's
drawn on the "N") - the sign is a diagramattic representation of the
ELL

It's in the wrong direction anyway, pointing west, not north!

Well, if Haggerston was 'pointing south' then the arrow could be said
to be pointing east - the point of course is that the sign is just a
diagrammatic representation of the routes from that station, rather
than a geographically accurate representation.

The sign shows that one can travel north from Haggerston and change at
Dalston onto the NLL.

I'm pleased, for clarity, to see that it has a small 'walk' symbol
between the Dalston stations.

What happens in May - completely new signage, or a 'sticky label'
showing links at Canonbury and H&L? * I know they need to be accurate
but this is a pretty short term arrangement.

I think the current signs actually are an 'all over' sticky label
arrangements (i.e. ones that cover the entire sign) - underneath is
the permanent signage which shows both the extensions to H&I and also
to Claphan Jn via Peckham.
Old May 25th 10, 12:12 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 25 May 2010 04:42:28 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

Well, if Haggerston was 'pointing south' then the arrow could be said
to be pointing east - the point of course is that the sign is just a
diagrammatic representation of the routes from that station, rather
than a geographically accurate representation.

Absolutely. It's also pretty straight between there and Dalston in
reality, unlike the diagram.

I think the current signs actually are an 'all over' sticky label
arrangements (i.e. ones that cover the entire sign) - underneath is
the permanent signage which shows both the extensions to H&I and also
to Claphan Jn via Peckham.

Ah, that makes sense.
Old May 25th 10, 12:39 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:
Well, if Haggerston was 'pointing south' then the arrow could be said
to be pointing east - the point of course is that the sign is just a
diagrammatic representation of the routes from that station, rather
than a geographically accurate representation.

Absolutely. *It's also pretty straight between there and Dalston in
reality, unlike the diagram.

Indeed. To be fair, I think this style of signage could do with a 'you
are here' type arrow (as used to be done).

I think the current signs actually are an 'all over' sticky label
arrangements (i.e. ones that cover the entire sign) - underneath is
the permanent signage which shows both the extensions to H&I and also
to Claphan Jn via Peckham.

Ah, that makes sense.

The DLR has gone in for a similar way of doing things, except they
normally just stick a label over the unopened extension on the diagram
- which seems to be a bit of an invitation for interfering fingers to
peel them off prematurely! The LO way of doing things avoids that
(well, it mitigates against it at least).
Old May 26th 10, 03:38 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:
On May 25, 10:38*am, CJB wrote:
Is Haggerston really to the north of Dalston? Or have they made a
mistake? I think signs at other nearby stations may be the same.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50503868@N03/4637990759/

The sign doesn't actually claim any direction is north (it's you who's
drawn on the "N") - the sign is a diagramattic representation of the
ELL

It's in the wrong direction anyway, pointing west, not north!

Well, if Haggerston was 'pointing south' then the arrow could be said
to be pointing east - the point of course is that the sign is just a
diagrammatic representation of the routes from that station, rather
than a geographically accurate representation.

True but such signs do IME tend to show lines in their correct
relative locations if not accurately by scale and direction (which
would be difficult with the NLL as it runs roughly in a curve). This
one seems a bit like showing the Chesham branch below the Metropolitan
main line on an Underground map; do any down/northbound station line
diagrams put the Chesham branch on the LHS ?

Old May 26th 10, 06:03 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:
On May 25, 10:38*am, CJB wrote:
[...]

After the non-branching lines like Victoria and Bakerloo tried mirror
image type diagrams in the trains, ie with the order of stations
matching the direction of the train, it was tried on the District as
well.

It didn't last long. I certainly found it very confusing to suggest
that you'd turn right to get to Wimbledon, particularly if one knew
that Hammersmith was west. Matching the actual direction of the train
didn't really help much at all.