London Banter

-   -   Senior Pass acceptance (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/10887-senior-pass-acceptance.html)

[email protected] July 4th 10 03:20 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

In article ,
(tim....) wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 19:44:28 on
Sat, 3 Jul 2010, Paul Terry remarked:
AIUI, from comments in u.t.l. by Colin Rosentheil and others, the
costs don't fall equitably on local authorities at present - in
particular, those that are popular holiday resorts or tourist
destinations end up paying for a lot of "out of area" visitors.

They are allegedly "not compensated enough" for those out-of-area
visitors. It doesn't seem very difficult to tweak the formulae a
little to take account of this[1], so the bad guys here are those
who don't want to do that.

I can't remember where it is but there is at least one council who
quite happily admits to making a profit on the current deal

Almost any council with few bus services. A local example is Fenland.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

tim.... July 4th 10 08:14 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

wrote in message
In article ,
(tim....) wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 19:44:28 on
Sat, 3 Jul 2010, Paul Terry remarked:
AIUI, from comments in u.t.l. by Colin Rosentheil and others, the
costs don't fall equitably on local authorities at present - in
particular, those that are popular holiday resorts or tourist
destinations end up paying for a lot of "out of area" visitors.

They are allegedly "not compensated enough" for those out-of-area
visitors. It doesn't seem very difficult to tweak the formulae a
little to take account of this[1], so the bad guys here are those
who don't want to do that.

I can't remember where it is but there is at least one council who
quite happily admits to making a profit on the current deal

Almost any council with few bus services. A local example is Fenland.

I would have thought that was taking into account when working out the
grant.

It's the number of "non local" users that makes it go wrong.

tim

[email protected] July 4th 10 09:23 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

In article ,
(tim....) wrote:

wrote in message
In article ,
(tim....) wrote:

[...]

Mainly but not exclusively. Chesterfield has been utterly clobbered
because it's the bus hub for its locality so loads of people from
neighbouring districts change buses there and Chesterfield has to pay for
their onward journeys.

Fenland pays little because it has few bus services to carry its
pensioners while Cambridge's bill is higher because there are far more
buses here. However, South Cambs has to pay half the inwards park and ride
journeys because some of the car parks are outside the City and in their
district. The City has to pay all the return trips of course.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Michael R N Dolbear July 4th 10 10:13 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

wrote

(Roland Perry) wrote:

18:29 on Sat, 3 Jul 2010,
remarked:
It appears that the funding will shift from District to County

councils
in 2011. That will smooth things out a bit but still needs a grant

formula which relates more closely to actual expenditure.

It's not going to help somewhere like Peterborough[1], which would
presumably have the same problem as Cambridge does now.

[1] Which as we all know is a unitary County.

How short of its concessionary fares spend is the grant it receives?

Not
over £1 million as in Cambridge, I bet.

Since most journeys are return, the outward journey will be charged to
a district outside Cambridge and an equal amount for the return leg
charged to Cambridge.

Same for Peterborough I would have thought.

--
Mike D

Roland Perry July 5th 10 08:58 AM

Senior Pass acceptance

In message , at 10:20:12
on Sun, 4 Jul 2010, remarked:
It appears that the funding will shift from District to County councils
in 2011. That will smooth things out a bit but still needs a grant
formula which relates more closely to actual expenditure.

It's not going to help somewhere like Peterborough[1], which would
presumably have the same problem as Cambridge does now.

[1] Which as we all know is a unitary County.

How short of its concessionary fares spend is the grant it receives? Not
over £1 million as in Cambridge, I bet.

Peterborough is bigger, so maybe there are even more people travelling
in to do their shopping. On the other hand maybe Peterborough county
includes most of its suburbs, in a way that Cambridge doesn't. Your
problem is presumably having so much residential so close, that's
actually in Scambs.

[email protected] July 5th 10 09:43 AM

Senior Pass acceptance

In article 01cb1bbb$4b96cf00$LocalHost@default, (Michael
R N Dolbear) wrote:

wrote

(Roland Perry) wrote:

18:29 on Sat, 3 Jul 2010,
remarked:
It appears that the funding will shift from District to County
councils in 2011. That will smooth things out a bit but still
needs a grant

formula which relates more closely to actual expenditure.

It's not going to help somewhere like Peterborough[1], which would
presumably have the same problem as Cambridge does now.

[1] Which as we all know is a unitary County.

How short of its concessionary fares spend is the grant it receives?
Not over £1 million as in Cambridge, I bet.

Since most journeys are return, the outward journey will be charged to
a district outside Cambridge and an equal amount for the return leg
charged to Cambridge.

Same for Peterborough I would have thought.

Only where boundaries are crossed, I agree. But that wasn't my question
anyway.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] July 5th 10 10:46 AM

Senior Pass acceptance

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

[...]

How many million tourists does Peterborough get each year? Get real!

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry July 5th 10 12:02 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

In message , at 05:46:42
on Mon, 5 Jul 2010, remarked:

How many million tourists does Peterborough get each year? Get real!

How many tourists arrive in Cambridge by twirly-pass?

And when I was last in Cambridge it was difficult to spot many tourists
over the age of 25, irrespective of how they'd arrived.

[email protected] July 5th 10 03:27 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message , at
05:46:42 on Mon, 5 Jul 2010,
remarked:

How many million tourists does Peterborough get each year? Get real!

How many tourists arrive in Cambridge by twirly-pass?

They use them when they are here!

And when I was last in Cambridge it was difficult to spot many
tourists over the age of 25, irrespective of how they'd arrived.

Your blinkers are showing.

Anyway, you still haven't said how many tourists there are in Peterborough.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry July 5th 10 07:25 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

In message , at 10:27:08
on Mon, 5 Jul 2010, remarked:
How many million tourists does Peterborough get each year? Get real!

How many tourists arrive in Cambridge by twirly-pass?

They use them when they are here!

So these are UK-resident OAP tourists who arrived by train and then use
the buses around the City?

And when I was last in Cambridge it was difficult to spot many
tourists over the age of 25, irrespective of how they'd arrived.

Your blinkers are showing.

Using my eyes (sans blinkers).

Anyway, you still haven't said how many tourists there are in Peterborough.

They wouldn't be using the bus to get around inside Peterborough, as all
the tourist stuff is within walking distance. Oxford, York and Lincoln
might have a problem with people using buses within the city limits.

But I'd expect the vast majority of OAP visitors to all these places to
be coming into the centre to do their shopping, not sightseeing.