Old June 30th 10, 09:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default LHR to Tilbury Pier

On Jun 30, 9:35*pm, "
wrote:

On Jun 30, 8:21*pm, Mizter T wrote:
If you were thinking of staying in Tilbury and then making several
trips into London [...]
[snip stuff re season Travelcards]

*i priced it at 2.40 for the tube 3.00 for the train well under the 10
usd i budgeted

Now I understand what you're planning on doing - i.e. heading to
Tilbury for a boat, rather than staying there - I can see where you're
coming from here (metaphorically speaking, of course - I know you're
actually coming from NYC!).

Yes, an off-peak Tube journey (that's after 09:30 but before 16:00
weekdays) from Heathrow to either Tower Hill (for Fenchurch St) or
Upminster would indeed currently cost GBP2.40 (that's a zones 1-6
journey).

As you say, a single from Upminster to Tilbury is GBP3.00 - from
Fenchurch Street it would cost more than double, at GBP6.20. So by
staying on the Underground all the way to Upminster, you would indeed
save money (you'd pay for zones 6 to 1 regardless, so going out the
other side of z1 back to z6 - i.e. Upminster - is already paid for, as
it were). The quid-pro-quo is that the journey on the District line
takes a bit longer. But you also get a bit of local east London
flavour this way!

Must admit I simply hadn't considered staying on the District out to
Upminster - but actually it works out quite well.

Old June 30th 10, 09:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 30, 5:00*pm, Mizter T wrote:
On Jun 30, 9:35*pm, "

wrote:
[...]

time is no object as i have 6 hours from 930 am to board the ship
Old June 30th 10, 09:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 30, 9:33*pm, "
wrote:

On Jun 30, 3:29*pm, Mizter T wrote:

On Jun 30, 8:06*pm, "
wrote:
Is it worth it to save the extra money to use this from Heathrow
Terminals 123 [London Underground] to Upminster saving £1.10?

Alternative oyster single fares:
Route 1: Avoiding Zone 1 via any of Kensington Olympia, Shepherds Bush
or West Brompton
[snip]
Route 2: Avoiding Zone 1 via Gospel Oak
[snip]
Route 3: Avoiding Zone 1 via Stratford (London Overground)
[snip]

No, I don't think so. Unless you really want an excuse to go via a
more labyrinthine route!

(Also, note that not all trains to Tilbury stop at Upminster during
peak periods.)

I got the schedules they leave every half hour during the 11 am to 1
pm time frame

Yes, that's not a peak period so all the Tilbury-bound trains stop at
Upminster en-route.

P.S. By all means go via some esoteric route avoiding zone 1 if you
want - but they're not routes I'd advise anyone just wanting to get
from A to B to use, as they're all rather more involved and
complicated than the straightforward route through central London.
(This is a journey where staying out of z1 doesn't make a great deal
of sense!)
Old June 30th 10, 09:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 30 June, 22:00, Mizter T wrote:
On Jun 30, 9:35*pm, "

wrote:
[...]

Has the interavailability been done away with on this route?

If it wasn't for the touching out problem when passing through
Upminster, I thought it used to be OK to get on the Tilbury train
before Upminster.
Old June 30th 10, 09:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

OK, well that's no problem then. The time penalty isn't that great -
Fenchurch Street to Upminster by c2c train takes 24 mins, whilst on
the District the journey from Tower Hill to Upminster takes between 45
and 50 mins (so says the TfL journey planner).

I suppose if you've got 6 hours you could go via a zone 1 avoiding
route if you wanted some adventure - essentially it'd have to be via
the North London Line. There'd be quite a bit of changing - a minimum
of 5 changes, I reckon - so it ain't straightforward. (One could walk
between Earl's Court and West Brompton - not far - or even from Acton
Town to South Acton - the latter being a bit more involved.) So it's
not really a route I'd recommend!

One quick last point - fares will go up in January 2011, so don't be
surprised if it costs a little bit more by summer next year!

Old June 30th 10, 09:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

No - the c2c lines within the zones are all on the TfL PAYG fare scale
(as opposed to the NR PAYG fare scale).

If it wasn't for the touching out problem when passing through
Upminster, I thought it used to be OK to get on the Tilbury train
before Upminster.

Yes, if David wanted to he could switch from the District at Tower
Hill to Fenchurch Street for the c2c line out to Upminster, but there
he would have to alight and touch-out to avoid an unresolved journey,
then wait there for half an hour (buying his onward ticket to Tilbury
if required) for the next c2c train.

(Note of explanation - Tower Hill to Fenchurch Street is defined as
being an 'out-of-station interchange', so when using Oyster PAYG if a
passenger exits one station and re-enters the other within a certain
time limit, the journey will be regarded and charged as one continuous
journey, rather than two separate journeys. The same should also
apply, I think, for passengers using paper tickets.)
Old June 30th 10, 09:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
I want to go in july 2011. i have an oyster card with no value bought
in dec 2008 . Can I use this card to get to tilbury ? what would be
best route?

Last time I took a train from Tilbury to London (I assume Fenchurch St) the
coaches were all red, well, a blackened red, and there was a tank engine on
the front! Have things changed since? I know we had an electric train down
to Gravesend.

MaxB

Old June 30th 10, 09:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
On Jun 30, 3:21 pm, Mizter T wrote:
On Jun 30, 7:21 pm, Mizter T wrote:

On Jun 30, 4:45 pm, "

wrote:
I want to go in july 2011. i have an oyster card with no value bought
in dec 2008 . Can I use this card to get to tilbury ?

Afraid not. [rest of advice snipped]

Just seen that you're thinking about a trip in July 2011, a year ahead
- that's advanced planning!

If you were thinking of staying in Tilbury and then making several
trips into London then you might possibly find buying a weekly season
ticket suits you - a 7-day season from Tilbury into London is
currently GBP45.40, whilst a 7-day Travelcard from Tilbury to London
(with inclusive travel in zones 1-6) is GBP67.20.

You'd need to work out of that worked out better for you than buying
tickets on each day you wanted to travel. An Off-peak Return from
Tilbury to London is GBP8.50, whilst an inclusive Off-peak Day
Travelcard from Tilbury to zones 1-6 is GBP9.30 - both are only valid
from the 09:26 train onwards (i.e. not earlier peak trains) - whilst a
season ticket or Travelcard is valid at any time (so you could travel
in with the commuters). Not sure what the price of an Anytime Day
Travelcard is from Tilbury (i.e. valid in the morning peak), but an
Anytime Day Return is GBP9.30.

To get a season ticket you'd need a photocard - if you were to want to
do this the way I'd recommend approaching it is obtaining the
photocard and buying the season ticket/ Travelcard at Fenchurch Street
station together (so bring a passport sized photo along!).

i'm planning to take a flight from jfk to heathrow arriving 20:30
sleep near LHR then take tube to upminster then take c2c to tilbury
riverside then board ship

In which case take the bus (285?) to Feltham and stay in the Travelodge (can
be as cheap as GBP9 if you get on their mailing list). It's not beautiful
but it is good value (in my view). Feltham station is adjacent so next day
take the SWT train to Waterloo, Jubilee to West Ham and C2C to Tilbury.
That part of the Jubilee is built with lifts at all stations which should
make interchange easier.

http://www.travelodge.co.uk/

Old June 30th 10, 11:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 30, 10:52*pm, "Graham Harrison"

i'm planning to take a flight from jfk to heathrow arriving 20:30
sleep near LHR *then take tube to upminster then take c2c to tilbury
riverside then board ship

In which case take the bus (285?) to Feltham and stay in the Travelodge (can
be as cheap as GBP9 if you get on their mailing list). * It's not beautiful
but it is good value (in my view). * Feltham station is adjacent so next day
take the SWT train to Waterloo, Jubilee to West Ham and C2C to Tilbury.
That part of the Jubilee is built with lifts at all stations which should
make interchange easier.

285 bus from Heathrow central to Feltham, yes.

FWIW, at the current fares it would then be 1.20 for the bus, then the
next day either:

(a) 4.30 off-peak PAYG fare (as per the NR/TfL through journey
farescale) to either West Ham or Upminster (travelling on either
District line or c2c from West Ham to Upminster);
then 4.90 from West Ham to Tilbury, or (as upthread) 3.00 from
Upminster to Tilbury
(so a total of either 7.30 or 9.20).

(b) 11.30 Off-peak Day Single paper ticket for the whole through
journey - this would be valid on the Tube between Waterloo and West
Ham (or Upminster, if that's what one wanted to do).

Will bear in mind the Feltham YOI, er sorry I mean Travelodge, it
might come in handy (not really for myself but rather for others). It
can really be as cheap as GBP9? (Obviously a special offer, but still.)
Old July 1st 10, 03:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 30, 4:33*pm, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:
wrote in message

I want to go in july 2011. i have an oyster card with no value bought
in dec 2008 . Can I use this card to get to tilbury ? what would be
best route?

Let me guess, you're planning to go on the Prinsendam? * How much baggage
are you going to have?

a carryon rollerboard that fits in an overhead bin on a plane